Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS .49 Low End Needle

Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
slim56
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS .49 Low End Needle

After break in & first flight I was checking out everything on new plane discovered that my MVVS .49 had lost the low end needle during flight. Do these have a history of this & what is fix & where do I get a replacement?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken V.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS .49 Low End Needle

Ken,

This can happen.

It is a result of the specific installation that allows the engine to vibrate at a certain level, which causes this.

You should observe the low-speed needle, as your engine is running at full throttle (engine installed in the model).
If it creeps out, something should be done to prevent this.

Was the spring present (there is a spring there, which is intended to prevent this movement)?

Often, an extra measure is recommended, such as a couple of wraps of Teflon™ plumbing seal, or a very short piece of fuel tubing, or in extreme cases, compressing the needle body ever so slightly (in a vise), so it binds on the thread.

Needles (and springs) are available from all MVVS dealers; even those on this forum (myself, PĂ© Reivers and David Moen), although some may need to order it in for you (more time).

...And you should not need to take another mortgage to finance it...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:39 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS .49 Low End Needle

In normal use no extra measures should be needed.
In high vibration use, like high rpm/high G manoeuvres and less balanced props, a lengthwise slit can be cut in the sleeve with a dremel tool. Compress the sleeve until the fit is tight. Once the needle is set well, you will never have to touch it again, so you could as well use locktite.