Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS 6.5 questions HELP!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS 6.5 questions HELP!

He i just got a mvvs 6.5 engine with a black cylinder head used and know nothing about it, its on a GP Viper 500 my questions are:

What type of fuel and %nitro?

What prop size works best with this engine?

Castor oil in the fuel?

RPMs for this engine?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS 6.5 questions HELP!

Mr Hollo,

Use FAI 20/80 fuel (all castor oil), or a fuel with a lot of castor (at least half of a total of no less than 20% oil) and very little nitro (0-5%).

What carburettor is installed on this engine (bore diameter)?
If it is 7 mm, it is probably the standard engine and a 10x6 to 11x5 prop would be good.
If it has the 8 mm (or larger) carburettor, it is probably the Quickie... 9x6, 8.5x6.5 or similar props are good for it.

The RPM you will see is higher than most sport .40 engines (not as high as a Jett, or a Rossi, though).

Post a couple of reasonable photos.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
DarZeelon

One more thing, Mr Hollo; The RPM you will see depends greatly on the exhaust your engine is equipped with.

If it is the standard muffler (the #3245) and the normal engine, you will see about the same RPM as you would with an OS, Webra, Enya, or Super Tigre .40 engine of similar configuration.

If it is the black tuned silencer (#3248), with which the great majority of these engines were supplied with, you will be seeing ~1,200-2,000 RPM more!

If it was on a GP Viper 500 pylon racer, it is very likely to be the Quickie...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info, now i belive it appears to be a 7mm but i cant tell i will try a 9x6 prop and see.. i have some 5% fuel so i take it i am to add 50% castor to the nitro?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 PM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

...Now I believe it appears to be a 7 mm but I can't tell. I will try a 9x6 prop and see.. I have some 5% fuel so I take it I am to add 50% castor to the nitro?
No, Mr Hollo!

The castor oil must be at least half the OIL; not half the fuel.

Just get some [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig]Sig Champion fuel[/link], the 0% or 5% variety, [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig]Champion all-castor[/link], [link=http://www.powermasterfuels.com/products/GMA.html]PowerMaster GMA[/link], or see what the ingredients are in the 5% nitro fuel that you have.
If, for example, it is 5% Morgan Omega (red tinted), you should add 4 ounces castor oil to one gallon of fuel, to make it suitable...

The normal MVVS .40 will easily turn this prop size... You did not write what exhaust you have on it and posted no photos...