Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

mvvs 58 canister

Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
MatriX40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mvvs 58 canister

will a canister on my mvvs 58 be too powerful for a 18.5LB edge 540, i see that that engine and canister setup will turn 26 to 27 inch props. thats accually incredible considering thats what 80cc engines turn. i know more power is better than not enough but i dont want to tear the wings off. also how much more weight will that add to my plane considering im almost at max wieght for the airframe
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: mvvs 58 canister

MVVS58 on cans will not turn a standard 27" prop. Less cubic inches cannot give the same torque than an 80 can. (it does come close though!)
Max size is 26x10N (narrow blade) by Mejzlik. 24x12 props are more typical for the 58.
Can weight is not such a big deal, because the can is located nearer to the CG of the plane, and is more than compensated for by the power gain.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM
MatriX40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pe, sorry my mistake on the prop sizes, so if i put a can on my 58, i can still turn a 24/8 prop? will the engine have enough load?. i dont want too much speed obviously due to flutter so more pitch concerns me. i dont know exact wieght of the canister, but lets say it ways 1.5lb. that will put me at 20 pounds on a plane that is rated at 16.5 to 18.5lbs. at high G's is that weight going to be an issue i am looking for less noise rather than power (the 58 is already a powerhouse), but from my research jtec makes a very quiet large volume wrap around pitts for the evo. 58 but comparing price the canister is only 20 bucks more. although i would have to modify my airframe to support a canister. and a pitts is a bolt on application, im just asking what would you recommend. you have been such great help so far on my engine issues and im sorry for asking what are probably stupid questions but im relitively new to gassers and i want to make sure this plane is just right before i fly it, as well as quiet so your opinion is greatly appretiated thanks in again
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The int 58 canister weighs in at 380 grams. The MTW TD75 can is about 250 grams. To both, add about 150 grams for the header.
Both cans will be more quiet that the Jtec, which will work as well in your application. For the 24x8, I would choose the MTW TD75 which is lighter and smaller.
With the Jtec howeverit is like putting a thouroughbread in front of the dingy, and drive with the brakes on all the time.