Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

35GT prpellor Question?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35GT prpellor Question?

Hey guys I might have a really dumb question but here goes. I have Finally got around to putting the Evolution 35GT on my chipmunk. I am going to run a 18x8 JXF prop on her. I know that I need to drill the prop center hole 10mm. My question is there is a ring back next to the hub that is larger than the shaft. At first I thought it was a ring that comes with some props, but no it is apart of the shaft. Do I need to drill the prop center hole bigger than 10mm or is that ring the 10mm???
Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 35GT prpellor Question?

Skillet,

This prop size is in the range recommended for the 26 cc engine.

Your engine will do much better, if propped with an 18x11, 19x9, 20x8, or a larger prop.

The technique would be to drill the bottom part of the prop to the required size (the hole does not need to go all the way through).
The shaft thread itself is 10x1.0M; not the thicker part.

EDIT: Typo.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 AM
skillet92

I know that the 18x8 is a little small but I have clearance issues. I have a GP Super Chipmunk and the 18X8 Already nicks the grass. I have had a SPE gas engine so I have flown it with that size prop. I just wanted a more reliable engine! And a 18x10 would give it to much speed I think. Could this engine turn a 3 Blade 18inch prop. Mabye 6, 7, or 8 pitch??
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 AM
DarZeelon

Your solutions are reasonable.

I suppose the recommended engine is smaller...

Now, after spending more for the engine, you also have to spend more for props; as well as to lose some 'scale' effect (the real plane has a two-blade prop).

This is not a 3D plane, nor does it need to pull itself up vertically.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
pe reivers

The small part that slips over the larger shaft diameter should be drilled to 12mm for a depth of about 5mm. Leave the rest of the prop bore at 10mm.

ORIGINAL: skillet92

Hey guys I might have a really dumb question but here goes. I have Finally got around to putting the Evolution 35GT on my chipmunk. I am going to run a 18x8 JXF prop on her. I know that I need to drill the prop center hole 10mm. My question is there is a ring back next to the hub that is larger than the shaft. At first I thought it was a ring that comes with some props, but no it is apart of the shaft. Do I need to drill the prop center hole bigger than 10mm or is that ring the 10mm???
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Your solutions are reasonable.

I suppose the recommended engine is smaller...

Now, after spending more for the engine, you also have to spend more for props; as well as to lose some 'scale' effect (the real plane has a two-blade prop).

This is not a 3D plane, nor does it need to pull itself up vertically.
The recommended engine is a 120FS that they Plans call for 20ozs of lead to Balance. 20ozs!!! To me that was way to much. My plane without engine is right at 12lbs. Way to much weight for a 120fs. It has a 81in wingspan. Yes it is by the maker over powered but not by the weight. And I always subscribe to the notion that if I have to have extra weight why not more power.[8D] Better than dead weight. But you are right this is not a 3D plane. It is an aerobatic one that I love the look of. I wonder if I got a VESS for it would that help with the loading of the engine??

Well I guess that I need to just invest in a drill press to do these right!!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
DarZeelon

OK, Skillet.

I agree some overpower is preferable in a model, to any amount of under-power...

However, a Vess is not particularly more difficult to turn, than a Bolly, a Menz, or most other wood props.

Mejzlik in 18" diameter, only have a 10" pitch three-blade, as do Biela in C/F.

If you want a higher load, wooden, 18x8 two-blade prop, a [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/BAM188-LAM.html]Bambula[/link] would serve the purpose.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 PM
skillet92

Would an APC 18x8W have enough load.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
pe reivers

I would go for a Mejzlik 16x11 three blade, for both the load AND the ground clearance
Old 02-05-2010, 05:30 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

I would go for a Mejzlik 16x11 three blade, for both the load AND the ground clearance
Pe that is a great looking prop at a good price. I just wonder if that would give me to much speed for a GP Super Chipmunk?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:16 PM
pe reivers

It's all about choices.
The Mejzlik is quite a light prop that will give you crisp spin-up. Because the prop is quite a bit smaller in diameter and has narrow blades, the extra pitch will not translate into noticeable higher speeds. Also, three-blades brake better than two blades.
I have personally flown a slightly smaller CG_Chipmunck, and speed will not be the issue I think. Because the 35cc MVVS is quite happy at lower rpm and easily idles down to 1200 - 1400 rpm, landing is a breeze. At least it was when we tested the prop on the MVVS 26cc, for which it was slightly too much prop.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 AM
skillet92

Thank you Pe I have ordered a Biela 17x10 and the Mejzlik 16x11. I will give some numbers when I try them out.