Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

mvvs 58 limited edition

Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
happy flying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mvvs 58 limited edition

I have just got the 58 l/e and i was wondering if anybody couldgive me a starting point for the header length i will need. it's a ks1060 tunnedpipe and at the moment it's 280mm longbut i do still have the off cut (100mm) which i could silver solder back on if required. The mvvs is mounted inverted if that makes a difference. Prop 24x10 xoar butwould a menz 24x10reduce noise any.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: mvvs 58 limited edition

Just use the short header. If you have good non-sagging power without 1/2 power "jump", your setup is ready. If throttle response is jumpy, or the power sags when the pipe gets hot, use the extra length.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
happy flying

Ok thanks very much for the quick reply. I haven't got any "jumping" but if i madetheheader longerwould that be smoother or no odds. I had to richen up the high needle 15min and the low end about 10min from factory settings,would that be because of the pipe, although now i'mgetting back towards the factory settings, just a bit burby fromtick over to mid range.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
pe reivers

Tickover to midrange should be a bit burpy! Leaning this out will jeopardize proper throttle response. This is normal in two stroke engines.
Let the engine idle (1400-1600 rpm) for 5 minutes, then apply throttle smoothly but without hesitation (no throttle goosing please). The engine should accelerate without lagging, hickups or need to clear it's lungs. That is the measure of a properly tuned carb idle section. Further final adjustments to be done with the H needle.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM
happy flying

Hi i'm trying to get the top end right but im unable to get it to rich to find the correct point, i have taken it out up to 5 turns out but still will not go rich. i have cleaned the carb,put in a new clunk and fuel tubing but still no joy.
It is running inverted the header lengh from piston face to plate in the ks1060 is 750mm long, i have programmed it for long pipe.
i have to have the bottom end to rich other wise it won't pick up, it all seems to point to the top end being to lean but it won't richen up any more. Am i doing something wrong. 
Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
pe reivers

You probably are too lean on the idle needle. The idle needle provides at least half of the fuel that the engine needs at full throttle.
Do not go leaner than factory settings. If that does not work well, check the fuel line right up to the carb for leaks. Also check the crankcase to carb pump pulse line for leaks.
I quote from the manual:

Carburetor adjustment:

Basic setting: adjusting needle ( L ) for low revolutions range 1turn and 45 min
adjusting needle ( H ) for high revolutions range 1 turn and 10 min
(the values are derived from the position of clock-hands)
The new engine comes adjusted to the basic setting. This setting
should be kept during running the engine in!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
happy flying

ok thank you for the quick reply, i will try again when i have an helper to hold the plane again.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM
pe reivers

with power like that, your plane should be tethered all the time, right up to the moment you go fly. A suitcase belt or like will serve well when wrapped around the tail feathers and a fence pole.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM
happy flying

I always start my engine with the model in a restrainer one pole either side of tail plane but i won't go full throttle with it held like that i much prefer two people holding it securely (wing root and tail plane/fin) and i always stand behind the prop.

Thanks

Steve
Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
happy flying

Hi pe reivers, just to say that you were spot on reference tuning, thank you for your quick replies and great advice/support, very impressed.  

Thanks again

Steve
Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
pe reivers

You are welcome.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 AM
happy flying

Hi Pe, season greetings to you.

My engine has developed another problem in that it has a misfire, it was running good then the prop came loose so I landed, when I retrieved the plane the prop was quite loose on the crankshaft but after a while I went to tighten it up but it had gone snug so I screwed the nut back on and tightened all nuts and bolts, I had another flight and all was ok. Now the next time I flew it (different day) I was in about 5-6 minutes of the flight when the engine went rich or so I thought in the mid range alright at top and bottom but anywhere in between very rich so I took the cowl off and tried to retune but to no avail now it's getting worse because the top is misfireing as well now. I can see that there's a woodruff key sticking out between hub and crankshaft housing locating the hub, is this normal as I don't recall seeing it before but then I never looked that close before.

Your thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 AM
pe reivers

Steve, can you give me some more information?
What prop do you run (size, wood or carbon) Still on Xoar 24x10 wood?
are the M5 bolts tight (not bottomed out) Torque to at least 3 Nm, check torques every day!
Is the central bolt nut snug (not too tight please or you will ruin the prop and prop drive)

The woodruff key should not be visible. Something may have happened when the prop was loose, or the central bolt has been overtightened.

Midrange misfiring also leads me to think you have a loose ignition power connection somewhere, that acts up due to vibration in certain ranges. The fact that it now spreads to full throttle supports that thought.

Take out the engine, and thoroughly check the prop drive and ignition leads. Also check your ignition switch and all leads. If in doubt, exchange.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
happy flying

Hi Pe, thanks for the quick reply

Prop still the Xoar 24x10 (wood).
M5 bolts are not bottomed out though now i know the torque setting they will always be torqued.
Central bolt is more tight than snug, the only time i did it snug was when the nut came off in flight, heared it rattling around in the carbon spinner and land straight away.

Do you think i should take the hub off to check all is ok as i can clearly see part of the wooddruff key, though the gap between hub and crankcase is still the same, if so could you tell me the best way of getting the hub off.

I will check all igntion and battery connections and wires for damage/loose.

Thanks

Steve

Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
pe reivers

Steve,
My mistake. The LE engine does not have the steel insert in the prop drive, and you indeed can see the woodruff key between the crankcase and the prop drive.
If the ignition fires a few (5) degrees before top dead center, there is no need to remove the drive.
This leaves wiring to be checked, engine mount integrity and needle settings.
Are your plug caps pushed down all the way? They need a real hard push. When done well, the shielding does not gap. I tie-wrap the shields for extra insurance, especially the black earth wire has a hard time in there. (you did connect it to engine mass did you?)
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 AM
happy flying

Hi Pe,

The plug cap is pushed all the way down (on) and yes the earth is connected to one of the mounting bolts, I did zip tie (loosely) the sensor wire to another mounting bolt to stop it touching the crankcase.

I replaced the switch with a new one, checked all leads all seem to be fine, balanced charged the 2s 2200ma battery, started the motor all ok yeah.

Went out this morning put plane together fuelled up started no problem warm up fine I just tried full throttle one more time before letting model go and the misfire is back, I changed the plug for a new one (cm 6 gap correct) still the same misfire. The needle settings are in the same place when the engine was running well before. It seems that it might be heat related as when the engine is warming up all fine but as soon as it gets up to operating temperature the misfire is back.

Steve

Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM
pe reivers

Two more options:
Is the ignition kept cool? If the ignition works well on cold engine, it also should work well when the engine heats up.
Is your engine cooled well? Pictures please.
Lean the top end (H) needle to best rpm. Then turn the screw a hair (1/16 th turn) counterclockwise. This must be done with hot engine.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM
happy flying

Hi Pe, <o></o>

<o></o>

sorry but I can’t seem to upload the photo's but there is good cooling (baffled with good exist) and the ignition has been in the same position all the time, it started misfiring in mid flight where the time before all ok.

The needles were set ok before, though after I moved them the other day I did put them back to factory and had to richen top end about 5-10min (would not hold revs).

<o>hope this has worked</o>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay73780.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	651.4 KB
ID:	1539875  
Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
pe reivers

factory settings mean nothing. They are just a starting position for running in. During the running in process, many things change, and the needle settings sometimes have to change a lot.
Use standard needle setting systems.
First adjust idle to best rpm, and back off till rpm drop so you will have good transition. Then adjust H needle for best rpm and back off just slightly (no rpm drop). After that, fly and adjust as needed.

Uploading images is not difficult. You must have the images ready on your computer. It will not work on quick reply, but any of your own posts or quoted posts will work when edited. Then choose "upload more files"
Old 12-31-2010, 07:12 AM
happy flying

Hi I managed one photo i'll try and get the others. sorry aboutthe qulity.

steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tr49371.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	647.4 KB
ID:	1540283   Click image for larger version

Name:	zw69608.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	647.9 KB
ID:	1540284  
Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 AM
pe reivers

Cooling would be OK if you have louvres in the muffler exit opening, and providedthe rear of that cowl chamber is open with small air dam. added.

Electronics like Ignitions that are kept in a hot space have a greatly reduced life span. So what was OK yesterday does not have to stay the same today. Be sure to get some cool air over the unit. (small chamber or similar)