Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Rudder & Nose Wheel Hookups

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Rudder & Nose Wheel Hookups

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 AM
RC Flier
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder & Nose Wheel Hookups

Guys, I may have made a mistake by putting rudders on 2 servos. They work opposite each other with a Y connector. A reversing Y connector will cure that. However, now I have no place to hook up the nosewheel servo. What do I do? Throttle, Ailerons and Elevator are all OK. Do I need a different receiver? I am trying to use a 6 channel JR. Help please,
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
opjose

Default RE: Rudder & Nose Wheel Hookups

What plane are you talking about?

Hint: it sounds like all you have to do is to put the control rod connector on the OTHER SIDE of the servo control horn.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
RC Flier

Sorry, I was speaking about a Bobcat. I finally got the nosewheel mixed so rudders (2) and nosewheel work together. Ruddes are both hinged and servo arms are on the inside of the side pieces...therefore they BOTH work inward or outward. They are Y'ed together and a reversing Y connetor should correct that.....Right?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
opjose

Both the Bobcat and the Falcon have the rudder servos on the OUTSIDE of the rudder.

You hook both of those servos together with a "Y" cable. It SHOULD NOT be a reversing cable.

Hook up the linkages exactly the same way on both sides and the rudders WILL move in unison, in the same direction.
No reverser is desired or needed.

The elevator has both servos on the inside of the rudder. You CAN use a reverser for one of the servos on the elevator if you wish, but it is much easier just to hook up one of the linkages on one side at the TOP servo horn, and on the other on the BOTTOM servo horn... assuming an "X" horn or a straight line horn with two sides.

I've done both and the latter is just easier to do with no real drawbacks.... other than you have to have your geometry correct ( think dual Helicopter linkage ).
Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM
RC Flier

Well I accomplished my goal. Both rudders work properly and nosewheel is mixed to work properly. Airerons work properly and Elevator works properly. Now to install tank and see what control throws are supposed to be.......thanks. Larry
Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM
opjose

With the controls centered ( you've released the TX sticks ) you - MUST - have the trailing edge of the elevator's control surface even with the top of the trailing edge of the elevator itself.

This will appear to you to be about a 1/8" to 1/4" UPWARD deflection. Make sure you have this dialed in before you attempt to fly the plane!

Also make sure that the plane sits with the nose higher than the wings. The LE of the wings must be higher than the TE.

Because of the pusher arrangement the plane tends to nose down as it speeds up, setting up the plane with a negative AOA, and making it almost impossible to take off.

Check the C.G. with the fuel tank FULL. This is very important and unlike standard tractor planes.

Also reverse the fuel tank so the stopper is towards the front of the plane to maximize the amount of time the clunk spends bathed in fuel.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 PM
RC Flier

Thank you for the information.....I have flown delta wing aircraft and know about the reflex required the the attitude on the ground. I appreciate the tips about the tank. Without a manual how about some information about control throws? Thanks,
Old 09-22-2010, 11:34 AM
opjose

I'm using everything I can get out of the plane for my high rates.

My low rates are like this:

Elevator: 1/2+ an Inch up and 1/2" down
Ailerons: 3/4 and inch up and 1/2" down : I use 1/8"-1/4" up reflex on both ailerons for landings.
Rudder: 1 1/4" left and right.

The plane lands best with a nose up attitude, the landing reflex helps attain this.

Note: when the plane is flying too slowly it will "feel" like a slug on the controls, don't be tempted to pull up on takeoff right away.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM
RC Flier

I already have monster throw on Ailerons and rudders. Elevator will need adjusted for proper reflex. Good information. Tank installation is next. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:42 AM
RC Flier

Flight reports......dead stick the first time. successful landing
nose wheel problems did not allow flights 2 & 3
using separate servo now for nose wheel.....Flight 4 would not take off
Flight 5...after raising the nose gear for positive UP.....Flight 6 was great....engine not turning up however.
Have installed new piston ring and engine compression is excellent...Flight 7 ....pending on IN weather