Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Outragous Shipping and Handling Rates

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Outragous Shipping and Handling Rates

Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Beaver Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outragous Shipping and Handling Rates

Just bought a replacement cowl for my Ultimate Bipe and two pilots for my Bronco. Total price for parts $23.00 - not bad!

Shipping & Handling cost $11.36 - outragous!

Earlier I bought my Bronco on sale for $89 but the shipping and handling was $35.

I know shipping wouldn't cost that much - your handlers must make really good money.

I may hay made my last purchase at Nitro!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 AM
opjose

Default RE: Outragous Shipping and Handling Rates

This gets rehashed over and over.

You should read the other posts that address this, and where most of the people who complain actually found that things were fine once they checked into the shipment rates from the carriers.

Check the other threads for more info.

Yeah it would be nice if it were cheaper though, but this does not seem to be NP's doing.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Beaver Lover

Sorry for bringing it up again. But nobody else charges me that much for similar (size and weight) shipments.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:44 AM
opjose

Add 9.00 ( for the carton and packaging ) to what anyone else charges and they tend to be right in line with everyone.

Maybe they should drop the surcharge ( hint hint Nitroplanes!!! ) for the carton.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:53 PM
sw1241
My Feedback: (1)

Go to uhaul, book carton only #2.99
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Mr67Stang

I buy and sell a lot on TheBay and here on RCU. So when I walk into the local quick pack 'n ship here it's kinda like Norm walking into Cheers. Those rates are not bad... Perhaps you would feel better if your parts were $40 and the shipping was $4.36?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:53 PM
nitrostaff1

Other online dealers often charge less shipping than what they actually paid but they offset that by having higher markups.

Thanks
John
Nitro Planes
ORIGINAL: Beaver Lover

Sorry for bringing it up again. But nobody else charges me that much for similar (size and weight) shipments.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 PM
opjose

Yeah, the bottom line is that it's NOT "outrageous", just not the way others tend to present it.

Like those Hong Kong sellers on E-bay who charge you $2.99 for something, but then $150.00 USD for shipping, and also sell EXACTLY the same item for $152.99 USD and give you FREE shipping... sigh...

I know the big boys eat the shipping back end costs, and give it right back to you in the up front costs.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
bkrfrmhell
My Feedback: (4)

Really not outrageous? Bought a $7.50 pilot from nitro in Dec. was charged $12.50 for shipping. Emails said fuel prices are crazy ?? Say what?? Postal service stamp on box was for $1.30.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Beaver Lover

ORIGINAL: bkrfrmhell

Really not outrageous? Bought a $7.50 pilot from nitro in Dec. was charged $12.50 for shipping. Emails said fuel prices are crazy ?? Say what?? Postal service stamp on box was for $1.30.
Okay, now I feel a little better. I got two pilots and a cowl for less than that! I am anxious to see the actual shipping cost when it arrives.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
opjose

Ok...

Frank ( From Nitroplanes ) any comments on this?

Why the difference when he received his item in an envelope?

From a PR standpoint consider how this looks to the purchaser.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Mr67Stang

Okay this shipment could have had some common sense aplied to it before it left the shipping department I normally will not place small mail orders because it looks like you got hit by the ole $10 minimum handling charge on all orders thing. A good business practice would be to screen orders like these and adjust shipping. I honestly would feel a bit stung after receiving this. However I believe the shipping is given before you commit to place the order... I simply would have not ordered and found an alternative like buy another plane to make it worth shipping
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
bkrfrmhell
My Feedback: (4)

I am in Canada, so the online format doesn't give a shipping charge. Nitro did email me for my order number and pic of postage stamp after i posted in this thread, but after 5 months I no longer have any proof. I do want to order some more stuff, but I would want some definate pricing beforehand. I sell and buy alot on thebay too and know what shipping costs, but if there is a handling fee, let me know. One thing about akmodels is Alex charges exact shipping, very easy to calculate with usps online calculators. Nitro should do the same.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Okay this shipment could have had some common sense aplied to it before it left the shipping department I normally will not place small mail orders because it looks like you got hit by the ole $10 minimum handling charge on all orders thing. A good business practice would be to screen orders like these and adjust shipping.
I agree with you, and NP is not the only group guilty of this.

Tower and Horizon both zap you when you order a small item too.

Guys, ( NPstaff ) this just looks wrong to the consumer. Consider adjusting the policy.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:27 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Evgeny-arm

You are indignant about several dollars.
Shipping to Russia, etc. is a completely different problem altogether not really related this the original complaint.

Effectively the model is shipped from China to the U.S. then accross the U.S. and then again off to Russia... a very long trek which will easily result in damage.

You may want to try something else.

Hint: Check for other Hong Kong sellers who may have similiar models... and may ship to you directly.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Liberator

I was selling a 132" span glider I built and when I started checking into shipping it the best rate I could find was about $185.00 from UPS. Needless to say I still have the plane but the bottom lineis some stuff gets massively expensive simply becasue of what it is, the size and how difficult it is to insure that no damage takes place. I feel your pain, but then I see the flip side as well.
I bought a great little 3D plane from Quique Somenenzi (sp) for $112.00 including the motor and ESC and the shipping was $8.00.

It goes both ways.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
opjose

So you received a damage plane which was sent to you by someone in the US ?

Sorry to hear that.

The problem will be that the parts would still have to be shipped to you. I'd imagine that the costs involved for shipping would still be high.

That is the problem.

The jewelry store comparison doesn't apply for us here though, while I understand that it is not cheap for you once the shipping costs are added in.

We don't have as high of a shipping fee here, so the planes end up being fairly inexpensive compared to those offered by other companies.

With an exception or two, most of the planes I have purchased have been very sturdy and have held up well to abuse. I've cartwheeled a NP Ultimate 40S accross an airfield, only to fly it immediately after ( WITH A BROKEN INTERPLANE STRUT that I missed!!! ). That plane has well over 120+ flights on it now and is still going strong.

My 3D Passion HAD what I consider a design flaw, that I luckily was able to correct after two mid-air problems because of the flaw. While the correction was simple CMP ( who actually makes the plane ) should have fixed this in their design.

In case anyone is interested, the elevator and rudder have very large control surfaces. The spar which holds the CA hindges was made with SOFT BALSA ( !!!! ), so the control surfaces tended to rip out in flight.... I replaced these with hardwood laminated with a balsa covering and shaped them to the original size, then recovered. Problem gone.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
nitrostaff1

I have pm bkrfrmhell and explained to him the gitch in his shipment due to the fact that he's from canada. His rate was the rate from fedex realtime rate but to speed things up we use USPS to aviod custom duties. For USPS shipement we have driver dropping off the packages and wait in line so it cost a little less.

All shipment for US are realtime from UPS.

Thanks
John
Nitro Planes
Old 05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
opjose

It is hard to tell from the photos, but it does look like this was not done in shipping.

The plane came to you with this problem.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Beaver Lover

Well my package arrived the other day but there was no actual shipping costs on the label. However, the box looked like it had been kicked fro California to Cincinnati and of course my cowl was cracked. Even though this is not a Nitro problem, I will be posting on the Shipping Issues thread in a few day when I get a chance to take and post pictures.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
nitrostaff1

I'll replace the cowl. what's your order number?

Thanks
John
Nitro Planes
ORIGINAL: Beaver Lover

Well my package arrived the other day but there was no actual shipping costs on the label. However, the box looked like it had been kicked fro California to Cincinnati and of course my cowl was cracked. Even though this is not a Nitro problem, I will be posting on the Shipping Issues thread in a few day when I get a chance to take and post pictures.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very large companies (Tower Hobbies, Horizon, etc.) make deals with various carriers based upon how much volume they do. Naturally, the higher the volume, the lower the shipping rates. Not to mention that they buy their product in larger volume, which also lowers the cost. Small companies have a very difficult time competing with the larger companies. But small companies can offer you a variety that is not often found at larger companies.

If you want cookie-cutter models (nothing wrong with that), buy from the larger retailers. If you want something different from everyone else, be prepared to pay a bit more for the privilege.

Folks give me a hard time for charging too much for shipping on a popular auction site. I tell them to take the dimensions and weight of the product they are interested in to Home Depot, or other UPS drops and be prepared to get a severe reality check. I'm not a retailer, just a hobbyist whose interests change from time to time and who needs to sell off models that no longer interest me in order to buy new ones that do. I will not lose money on shipping.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
youngun

Outragous Shipping and Handling Rates!!!

Outragous is right![sm=48_48.gif]

Y'All can say what ever you want, and offer all kinds of excuses (and that's just what they are, excuses for price gouging), but, the bottom line is,
what is the total cost to get the plane I want in my hands.

Examples:

Check out these two planes. They look very similar to me. But the price is higher on the one with the highest priced shipping.

AK Models has a 46 size Yak 54 for $119.95 + $12.89 FedEx Ground to my door
[link=http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AKM&Product_Code=CMP041&Category_Code=GAS46_65]Link to Yak 54 at AK Models[/link]

NitroModels has a 46 size Yak 54 for $124.95 + $37.02 UPS ground to my door.
[link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak542c464c5.html]Link to Yak 54 at NitroModels[/link]

Now, of those two, which one do you think I would order?
If you said "the same plane (for all practical purposes) for less money", you would be right.

If you have to have more money for your plane, OK, put it in the price where it belongs. But hiding a higher price, or attempting to hide it, in the shipping charge is deceitful at best.

Of course, I would still buy from the place that would give me the best deal overall. Which brings it back to total cost.

edited for:
This is in reply to the thread, and not to any one person.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 AM
youngun

ORIGINAL: youngun

Outragous Shipping and Handling Rates!!!

Outragous is right![sm=48_48.gif]

Y'All can say what ever you want, and offer all kinds of excuses (and that's just what they are, excuses for price gouging), but, the bottom line is,
what is the total cost to get the plane I want in my hands.

Examples:

Check out these two planes. They look very similar to me. But the price is higher on the one with the highest priced shipping.

AK Models has a 46 size Yak 54 for $119.95 + $12.89 FedEx Ground to my door
[link=http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AKM&Product_Code=CMP041&Category_Code=GAS46_65]Link to Yak 54 at AK Models[/link]

NitroModels has a 46 size Yak 54 for $124.95 + $37.02 UPS ground to my door.
[link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak542c464c5.html]Link to Yak 54 at NitroModels[/link]

Now, of those two, which one do you think I would order?
If you said "the same plane (for all practical purposes) for less money", you would be right.

If you have to have more money for your plane, OK, put it in the price where it belongs. But hiding a higher price, or attempting to hide it, in the shipping charge is deceitful at best.

Of course, I would still buy from the place that would give me the best deal overall. Which brings it back to total cost.

edited for:
This is in reply to the thread, and not to any one person.

Almost forgot,

Totals for the two:

AK Models 46 size Yak 54 Total cost = $132.84

NitroModels 46 size Yak 54 Total cost = $161.97

Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Zee200
My Feedback: (14)

You got to compare apples to apples here. Foreget the price of the kit, ($10.00)
You may want to check out the quality between them. Also according your information one is shipping FedEx, and another UPS, Also you don't say how far company #1 hast to ship the package, and How far company #2 has to ship it, possible big difference in the price there. Main thing which kit you like better, which is better quality?
Look like you need to ask your self some more questions.
Zee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.