Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

50cc Yak 54 -- Help me out guys!!!

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

50cc Yak 54 -- Help me out guys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Gallileo
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc Yak 54 -- Help me out guys!!!

OK, this is the second 50cc Yak 54 I have bought from Nitro Models.

The first one is a SUPERB airplane. Very well built, light, nice hardware etc. Almost perfect in every way.

I just received a second one the other day, however it is a entirely different airplane. The scheme is the same, but thats it.

Second of all, no harware was included in the kit as was with the first on. Only hardware in the box was landing gear and wheels.

Third of all, it is horribly assembled. No glue on roughly 30% of the airplane, broken pieces, large gaps all over where parts were not fitted correctly, etc. etc.

The reason I bought a second one was because I thought I would be getting what I got in the first place, a nice plane. Nitro did not create a new product or mention that this is in fact a different plane in the product listing.

I am very disappointed. The fuse will need to be de-covered and practically rebuilt then re-covered.

A plane of this size and power wouldnt last for a few minutes at idle on the ground with the way it was put toghether, it would vibrate apart.

There are also 2 or 3 other planes I would like to buy from them, well see.

Here are some images.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40967.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	909105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47314.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	909106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51166.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	909107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85982.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	909108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95238.jpg
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	909109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du19531.jpg
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	909110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv39292.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	909111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc96660.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	909112  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq16013.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	909113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw98331.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	909114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo67374.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	909115  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: 50cc Yak 54 -- Help me out guys!!!

Looks like you got the Friday at quiting time" screw the boss"plane. Have you had any luck going through Nitro's customer service? I've seen some of Notro's stuff & they all looked pretty good for the price. Granted , I've not seen any thing for awhile though. If you paid anything over $5.00 for that plane, I think maybe ya got the green weiner. From what I've seen on this thread, Nitro takes care (maybe not real quickly)of their problems. Good Luck Just wondering, what part of Indiana are you in?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Gallileo
Banned

Im in Indianapolis.

Yea, this one is a green weiner!!!!

Like I said the first one was built EXTREMELY well, thats why I bought another from them.

As you said, for the price they are nice (typically), however at any price, even if it was $5.00, I bought what was advertised as an "Almost Ready To Fly" airplane. Its not that its different than the first one, its the fact that this one is NOT almost ready to fly, its "Almost ready to throw it away because you will never get it fixed without having to destroy it in the first place, because you will never get it apart without breaking every piece"

Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
opjose

There are various ARF's sold by NP that originate from multiple sources...

Some I believe are Fly-Models, Evergreen (green weiner?) planes, etc. and some CMP.

I think your first YAK was from one manufacturer and maybe the second from another.

I had this happen with my Hellcat. I was originally sent the inferior version ( I had ordered the better CMP version ) and I was sent the wrong one. NP made this right very quickly.

You may have ordered the "better" version at first and now have the inferior version... or you may have a "Monday morning, mad at the world build....".

I never take a chance, and I liberally apply epoxy, CA, and re-inforce everything.

You have a good ( experienced ) eye to catch all of this, but I can imagine all of this taking newbies by surprise, or they do not do anything at all.

A good going over as you've done is always adviseable.

I have had a decent "green weiner" planes as well, but these seem to need the most attention.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Gallileo
Banned

Yea, the first one was excellent. I too go over ARF's and make sure they are OK, and re-glue etc. what I feel need to be. With this plane however, a little glue wont fix it, and it would never see the air either due to having to add 4 pounds of glue or it falling apart as it idled for the first time.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:00 PM
RR24

I would contact John and see about returning for a refund or a better built plane, that palne is no good no matter what the price, i have only bought 1 palne from them and am very happy with it, it is the ultimate 120 yellow version

hope you can get this fixed up with Nitro Planes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Gallileo
Banned

I have talked to John but I think he is avoiding me now.

It would cost a small fortune to send it back as it is a BIG plane, so well see what happens with that.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Gallileo

I have talked to John but I think he is avoiding me now.

It would cost a small fortune to send it back as it is a BIG plane, so well see what happens with that.

He may not have an immediate response for you, but wait a day or two and try e-mailing/PM'ing again.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 AM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

WOW!!!

I just got my Yak a couple weeks ago, and it didn't look that bad after a quick inspection. But after seeing all those photos you posted, I'm going to have to pull it out again, and have a closer look. I hope mine is better than the one you got.

I did contact Nitro about the Yak being totally different than the one they are advertising, too. I actually liked many of the changes (like the canister tunnel, the internal cowl mounting ring, the tail wheel assembly, etc.), but the two piece landing is just a ridiculous invention for any size airplane!

I'll let you know how my Yak looks once I have a closer look at it tomorrow.

Mark
Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Gallileo
Banned

Yo Romeo, I too like some of the changes. The tail wheel is much better (the landing gear is the only hardware I got). Did you get any other hardware!!!

Yea, the main gear is JUNK, the canister placement is a nice touch, however I will not be using it. I will use the stock DL50 muffler to save weight.

The cowl mounting ring is nice also, however heavy.

This one weighs in at 12.5 pounds out of the box!!! Thats a whole 2.5 pounds heavier than the GOOD first version. I suspected about that just from handling it.

Other differences are, fully sheeted ailerons, elevator, rudder, as opposed to film over rib. This is too heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the FOR!!!

Sides of fuse are ply sheeted also, the other is not!! TOO Heavy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all, there is WAY too much ply in this plane. While the first version could even be lighter, this one is on the extreme heavy side.

Again, I am VERY disappointed in this kit and John has yet to respond again as to what he is going to do about it!!!!!

I will also be at Toledo!!! Maybe we can compare Fuses !!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 PM
3D Romeo

Well, I just finished going over my fuselage to see how it compares to Gallileo's...

The first thing I noticed was the weight. I didn't weigh it, but it does feel awfully heavy when taking it out of the box. I also agree that WAY to much wood was used in the construction of this version.

As for the fit...all of the parts in mine seem to be lined up a little better than Gallileo's. However, mine was also lacking glue in a surprising amount of areas. This is kind of expected on most ARF's these days, but with the amount of things left unglued in the fuselage, I'm really worried about what the assembly of the wings, and tail group, might be like (where you can't see it because it's covered)?

If I took photos of all the areas that Gallileo did, they would all be surprisingly similar. However, my gaps seem to be smaller, and things are a little better positioned.

The canister tunnel has gaps in many places, and I'm also missing the two pieces of wood that seal off the front area. If you look at Gallileo's photos of the landing gear area, there is also lightening holes that should have been covered over with covering (at least in my opinion). The way it is you will get exhaust, and debris, inside your fuselage (depending on what type of canister, or muffler you are using).

My wing tube, and elevator, sockets are both made out of thin cardboard just like Gallileo's, and slightly crushed, too (although not as badly as Gallileo's), and the wing tube is slightly crushed at one end, too (which will no doubt prevent it from going into the wing).

The two piece main landing gear that comes with the new Yak is simply a joke!

Mine did come with a bunch of usable hardware. They no longer use the little metal angles for double truss control connections. The new Yaks come with the old bolt through the control surface method, and all the hardware supplied seems to be on par with Nelson hardware (so it's definitely usable). The only problem is that the Yak ships with the manual for the old version. So until they come out with a new manual, you are on your own trying to figure out where everything is suppose to be located. It looks like they have a piece of plywood glued to the top, and bottom, of each control surface, but I don't know if there is any hardwood in between (which there should be, if done correctly), or if it just balsa? I don't really want to start drilling holes until I find out more about how they did this. They did reply to one of my PM's, and said they'd email the new manual as soon as they get it.

Mine also came with 7 very fancy looking purple anodized aluminum servo arms (5 singles, and 2 doubles). They are probably designed to mount to the round wheels that come with servos, but if I used them I'd feel much safer mounting them to aluminum hubs like AirWild Uni-Hubs. I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably just use the AirWild MLP arms that I bought for another project.

There is probably more to write about, but it's time for dinner, and that's all I got time to write about right now.

To sum up...My initial elation upon first opening up the large box, and seeing what I thought was a very nice kit for the price, quickly turned to horror! As I realized that the airplane I received wasn't anything like what I ordered, or what is described, and shown on NitroModels website!!! The color scheme is the only thing that the two airplanes have in common. Aside from that, I would NEVER buy a large scale airplane with a two piece landing gear! Nor would I even considered buying this Yak if I knew how heavy it was. The weight shown on NitroModels website is incorrect! There are pieces missing on the fuselage, misaligned, and even falling off from lack of glue! Which makes me wonder how other areas that you can't see, like the wings, are put together?

Just a very very poor decision on part I guess...[]

Mark

P.S. - I'll try keep you updated on my Yak as I get into it, but right now I have to build a couple other planes first.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Gallileo
Banned

I too would like to know if there is hardwood blocks for control horns. On the first version they could be seen under the covering.

Romeo, does the place where the plates are missing appear as if they were once there and glued in and have fallen out at some point? There is still one in mine on one side.

One of the points here is, yes, you could have bought a $600+ ARF elsewhere, however, NitroModels doesnt want you to do that. Even at roughly $300, they are still making there money and we are still paying for a product that was in no way (other than color scheme) what we ordered.

The only reason I bought this second one was I had already bought one and was totally impressed with it.

In any case, and at any price, any customer would expect to get what they paid for, which according to their site was what I got with the first one.

This is like going to McDonalds and ordering a BigMac, getting a taco with half done meat and spoiled lettuce!!!!!!!! NOT, what you expected you paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the weight IS a big issue, however I know this is not Nitros problem and nor did I say it was, it was just a comparison to the old version. However, at the weight it comes in at, and the fact we are going to have to add a significant amount of glue, this thing is going to be WAY on the heavy side!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM
3D Romeo

The two plates missing on mine don't look like they were ever there, but since you have one installed on yours, I know they are suppose to be there.

To say I'm not disappointed about the weight would be an understatement...I am very upset about the weight difference, as this was the primary reason I decided to take a chance on the Nitro Yak. The weights people were reporting on the old version were less than the Extreme Flight Yaks. I was hoping to have a plane that finished out at somewhere between 15-16 pounds (I guess we are looking at around 18 pounds now?). I'm also very upset that the model I got wasn't exactly what I ordered (although, like I said earlier, I do like several of the changes made to the new version).

Having said that, I knew I was taking a chance when I ordered mine. I've dealt with enough Chinese companies over the years to know that what you see isn't always what you get (I like your McDonalds analogy LOL). They are always changing manufacturers, and designs, and the websites very rarely keep up with these changes.

Mark

P.S. - I'll try to weigh all my parts some time this week to see how they compare to yours.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM
3D Romeo

Something I should mention that I'm not sure you're aware of is that NitroModels has told me that they've pulled out of the Toledo Expo.

So if the reason you are planning to go to Toledo is to yell at somebody...they aren't going to be there.

Unless they just told me that to make a quick sale? In which case I'll be even more upset!!!

Mark
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Gallileo
Banned

ORIGINAL: 3D Romeo

Something I should mention that I'm not sure you're aware of is that NitroModels has told me that they've pulled out of the Toledo Expo.

So if the reason you are planning to go to Toledo is to yell at somebody...they aren't going to be there.

Unless they just told me that to make a quick sale? In which case I'll be even more upset!!!

Mark

No, I go every year, im only about 2.5 hours away.

I was hoping they would be there just to get another kit of some sort.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
3D Romeo

I just got done weighing everything that comes with the new version Yak...everything was weighed exactly as it comes out of the box (all the parts were still in there plastic bags, the cowl was still wrapped in foam, etc.)

Rudder - 4 oz
Elevators - 5 oz each
Wings - 27 oz each
Cowl - 11.5 oz
Canopy - 8.5 oz
Wheels & Spats - 5 oz
Hardware & Fuel Tank - 16 oz
Wing Tube - 9 oz
Stab Tube - 1.5 oz
Landing Gear - 12 oz
Fuselage - 67 oz

Total - 198.5 oz (12.4 pounds)

Now add...

56-64 oz for an engine, muffler, and ignition.
8-16 oz for batteries
16-24 oz for fuel
8 oz for servos

...and you're looking at a Yak that will weigh 18-20 pounds!!!

Don't get me wrong, it'll probably still fly very well at that weight. As I know Lanier Yaks come out to slightly over 20 pounds AUW. But you can probably forget that 'foamy' feeling...which is what I was looking for!

Mark
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Gallileo
Banned

Yea, thats about what I expect. It will fly, but it will fly heavy.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Gallileo
Banned

OK, John is fixing me up!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:06 PM
3D Romeo

Fixing you up?

What's he doing for you?

Don't forget...I have basically the same airplane you have, that's totally different than what I was expecting, and with the same problems.

If I can get a lighter airplane, that is put together better than the one I got, it will save me ALLOT of money!!!

Because right now, unless John can help me out too, I plan on going to Toledo next Saturday and buying an Extreme Flight Yak.

I don't need to tell you again that I'm unemployed right now, and this extra expense of buying another airplane will know doubt hurt me pretty bad. But I can't be flying a 18-20 pound airplane that may, or may not fall apart in the air!!!

So John, is there anything you can do for me, too?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Gallileo
Banned

OK, got the new fuse, however I am EXTREMELY P-O'ed now.

The new fuse was better in some spots but worse in others.

However the main thing is, I didnt test fitment on anything until I got the new fuse, guess what almost NOTHING fits or lines up at all, on EITHER fuse.

I tried the new fuse first.

The elevator tube sleve is off on each side, you cannot get the tube through. When I did get it through, the alignment pins AND the bolt holes are off, not to mention one of the elevator blind nuts did not even have threads in it to accept a screw.

The first fuse the elevator tube holes are not in-line with each other so the elevators will not line up at all.

Only ONE of the wings will go into the wing pocket on EITHER fuse, however it is the opposite side on each. The wing tube etc. is not straight cusing it to go in at an angle and will not allow the wing to go in on one side of each fuse.

The landing gear holes are off on the new fuse and cannot be attached. The landing gear plate is also busted on the new fuse.

I relly do not know for sure what else as I got so fed up I just put it down.

All this plane is, is ONE BIG PIECE OF TRASH

This plane CANNOT be assembled, in ANY WAY!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM
3D Romeo

That SUCKS!!!

I can't tell you how all the parts fit together on my NitroModels Yak, other than the landing gear (which bolted on OK), as everything is still in it's protective bag. I wanted to keep everything as close to NIB as I could. So it would be easier for me to sell after I replaced it with a "REAL" 50cc Yak.

Which, by the way, I did end up buying at Toledo this past weekend (I ended up going on Friday...I was scared they would be sold out by Saturday). As soon as the doors opened I raced over to the Extreme Flight booth, and gave them a big pile of money for one of their 88" Yellow/Black Yaks. I couldn't believe it when I got home! Just the crate, and packaging, for this airplane is built better than other Yaks I've bought recently (and unfortunately Gallileo, too). It comes in 3 boxes. The cowl is packaged in a heavy cardboard box with foam lining, then wrapped in more foam, and taped in place. Another box contains the wings, which are shipped in their wing bags, and then double boxed in heavy cardboard. Finally, the fuselage and remaining parts, are packaged in a heavy box, which then has a wood frame built around it, and then this is put in another 3-ply heavy cardboard box. Everything inside is wrapped in foam, partitioned by cardboard, and taped VERY securely, too. There is no way one of these planes is going to get damaged in shipping. I haven't tried assembling anything yet, but the build quality looks excellent! No gaps that I can see, everything lined up perfectly, and glue everywhere you'd expect it to be! The only flaw I could see in the whole airplane was on the canopy. It looks like they use some kind of tool (maybe even a knife) to remove the mask, after painting the canopies, and this created some little scratches in several places. I may be nitpicking, but this is the only flaw that I could find in the entire airplane!

Now I don't know what to do about my NitroModels Yak? I don't really want to take all the parts out of their bags to see if it can be assembled (although I'm guessing it will be just like Gallileo's...since they are built with the same jigs, and fixturing). I'd like to keep it as close to NIB as I can. But at the same time, I wouldn't feel right selling a plane to somebody else that can't even be assembled!!!

I guess trying to save some money by buying a NitroModels 50cc Yak was just a very very bad idea...

Mark
Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Gallileo
Banned

I was at Toledo Friday also. I took home several models and a bunch of other stuff. Sorry Nitro Models, I would have bought from you but so far your track record isnt that good with me.

Nitro needs to give me my money back and pay to ship this trash back to them or find me a V1 kit and send it or another Yak 54 of the same size.

I am so frustrated its amazing I didnt just bash it to pieces from being so mad.

This thing was supposed to be flyable weeks ago.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
3D Romeo

I'm of the same opinion as you Gallileo...It would be great if NitroModels would swap are "new" versions of the 50cc Yak with the original version 1 that we all thought we were buying...and the one described, and shown on their website in all the photos!!!

It would not only be great for us, but good for them as well. To show that they stand behind the products that they sell, and offer some kind of customer support. Rather than come off as a lying, deceiving company that will do anything just to cheat some poor guy out of his hard earned money.

I can see why they pulled out of the Toledo Expo...They were probably scared to face all the people they scammed into buying airplanes that were different than what they were advertising, or never properly tested before marketing.

It's not to late to fix this NitroModels guys. As Gallileo, and others have stated, the original version of your 50cc Yak (which we all thought we were buying, according to your web page) was an excellent aircraft! I'm sure all the bashing would turn to praises if you would just do the right thing, and give us what we paid for. If not, then all the bashing only seems fair, and just.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
nitrostaff1

SOrry the first version is no longer available. I've offered a solution to him already.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
3D Romeo

John,

I've sent you multiple PM's now concerning a solution for sending me the WRONG yak...and I haven't heard back from you yet!!!

Where is this "A+ Customer Support", and "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" that you so proudly display in all of your ads?!?!

Please reply before I am forced to take action!

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.