Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

NitroModels F22 Raptor Help.

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

NitroModels F22 Raptor Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 PM
ncl420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NitroModels F22 Raptor Help.

I just bought the NitroModels F22 Raptor RC (RTF version) this is my first RC plane. Can anyone tell me if this thing is any good? how well does it fly? any comments you have that can help me. Also what is the best way to learn to fly these things?
Thanks
NCL
Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NitroModels F22 Raptor Help.

This is not a beginners plane. Get a simulator. Get an experienced instructor. Get a trainer aircraft.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 AM
outdoorhunting

Double ditto !!!!!! If you TRY to fly this plane, you WILL crash it.!!!!!! Do yourself a really big favor, saving a considerable amount of money & frustration. Like Mr67mustang said,get a trainer,get a good instructor. Master the trainer first. This hobby CAN be most enjoyable. But when you don't follow life's outline, ( crawl, walk, run,)so to speak. This hobby will be short & not so sweet. Good Luck
Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 AM
ejd

The comments from others about crashing it are right. I bought the Raptor f22 too, and I have yet to get it in the air without immediately crashing it. Not too much damage, but I decided to shelve it and buy a simpler plane from which to learn.

It's not clear from the manual how to construct the plane, either. The model comes with only one servo per side, and though the pushrods are shaped/sized to be attached to both the ailerons and the elevators, I'm not sure they should be. I think the servo-pushrod should only be attached to the elevator on each side at least that's where I'm at now with it. I have another thread in this Support forum asking Nitroplanes for help on this. I've had no response to date.

ejd
Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
opjose

This is one of those "up to you" things.

Like most of their planes, they provide the platform for you to do with as you please.

e.g. you could set the plane up for elevons, or elevator, rudder, using a wire between the driven and the non-driven ones.

Elevons is easier to implement though.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
ncl420

Every bit of this info is a great help. if anyone else has any more info on how to set the thing up for flight that would be great. i have contacted a local instructor, hopefully it wont cost an arm and a leg.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ncl420

if anyone else has any more info on how to set the thing up for flight that would be great.
Set it up for Elevons. If you got the RTF version the radio supports both I believe.

However start with a more appropriate trainer airplane.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: ncl420

Every bit of this info is a great help. if anyone else has any more info on how to set the thing up for flight that would be great. i have contacted a local instructor, hopefully it wont cost an arm and a leg.
Flight instruction is normally free. If your instructor wants to charge you... find a new instructor.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 AM
ncl420

is this a flyable RC for a more experinced pilot? are the motors powerful enough? (the edf55) Basicly, should i hang on to it until i learn how to fly them or send it back?
Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 AM
Mr67Stang

Sure, it's flyable. If you like it, do just that. Put it up untill you get a good grasp on Radio Controlled Flight.

Have yo spoken with the instructor and discussed a suitable starting point/plane?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM
fossoman

Im thinking of buying the RTF version of this plane. is the radio equipment any good that comes with it. I fly helis and a F27C Stryker now is this plane gonna be manageable for an intermediate pilot. is there a main forum for this plane? I love the look but is the quality there?
Happy flying NitroModels F22 Raptor.
Fossoman
Old 07-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Flexserve

I have the F-22 Model arrived July 3rd. Paint is bad..needs plenty of touch-ups. Also the workmanship on some parts needs to be redone (Ailerons were not cut all the way through foam) battery and receiver compartment needs work also they are held closed by 2 VERY weak screws that should have been longer in length. Foam is OK..typical EPP. Had to order wall charger separate due to it not coming with one (Kinda a let down). Radio is obviosly cheap feel to it..but thats what I expected for RTF $185.00 Same model is available in China for $125.00 RTF..so there ya go...(Wholesalers) The F-18 (same manufacturer) looks a little better at $130.00 for the kit ARF. Haven't flown it yet. Instructions are easy to assemble but dodgy language in areas. Reminds me of Japanses videogames with poor english translations. However it does come with bleached out photographs of the assembly process. Just stare at them a little and you can make out some details.

Final Kit review to be added later..at this rate I am already thinking of building my own...pft..

I'll let you know later as a flight or two could change my world perpective on this plane.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
nitrostaff1

Yes the foam needs to be cut by the user. Make sure you use thread locker for the alierons screw. If you need a wall adapter I'll get you one.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Flexserve

Thanks already purchased adapter from you guys..LOL.. The CG thing seems to be an issue... WoW instructions need this info!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
fossoman

Heres one flying. The guy flying it said an intermediate Rc pilot could handle this thing. I have an F27C Stryker but the plane I want is The Starmax Rafale from hobby lobby international
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuAlCuGS4WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8C0mngv8pg
Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
omfgitzxjoshx

i was wondering if someone could help me with this. i bought the f22 raptor i think its a good plane two fall back on it are..The planes ail are not cut alll the way through are u supposed to cut them,? and i flew it and tryed to do a loop and the battery bay did not hold the batt in ..
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
omfgitzxjoshx

i was wondering if someone could help me with this. i bought the f22 raptor i think its a good plane two fall back on it are..The planes ail are not cut alll the way through are u supposed to cut them,? and i flew it and tryed to do a loop and the battery bay did not hold the batt in ..
Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM
nitrostaff1

Yes you are suppose to cut the alieron. You really don't have to cut it. It's foam just bent it.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Flexserve

ORIGINAL: omfgitzxjoshx

Yes, this is an issue since also the CG of this aircraft is of concern on many a forum thread. My battery compartment screw just fell off as soon as I opened the lid to the box and filipped the fuselage over (very gently mind you.. I don't spend $185.00 to beat on anything). This kinda made my spirits drop as I realized I just purchased a "Unique fixer upper" opportunity..not really a CAF or RTF kit. CAF (Charge and Fly) figured I'd add the the nomenclatures around here... LOL...

Back to the CG..Read the other threads about "cutting" and fitting a battery vertically into the plane...

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 PM
mumaniac

Hey nitrostaff, are replacement parts available for this plane ? I had a cg issue on first flight and busted up my front landing gear pretty good. Have hand launched it a couple of times since to make sure I corrected cg problem, but would like to be able to take off and land seeing as my favorite flying spot is all concrete. I have to fly in a smaller field that is mostly grass to do a wheeless landing. I havent had much luck finding anything comparable at local hobby shop, so maybe you can point me in the right direction ?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Flexserve

http://www.nitroplanes.com/f22landinggear.html
Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Slaughter_U

Out of the box I would say it is a little touchy for a beginner maybe even an intermediate pilot. I however was able to modify mine into a fantastically stable and capable of slow speeds by adding a couple of servos. I will attach a couple photos of my modifications.

Hope that helps. The best flying out of the box jet I have flown is the F-15 sold on this site.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73201.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	993524  
Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 PM
pistonbroke

Hello All, not sure if anyones still watching this thread. Bought the F22 from Nitroplanes around christmas, did'nt spend a lot of time on assembly (RTF version), but used the glue that came with the kit. Left it to dry for 2 days, went to flying field and the glue still had not set !!! Duct tape for insurance on the glued in parts, and off we go... Got in the air, about 500 feet away and the radio cut the motor and servos. EDF may be tough, but vertical deceleration into the arizona desert destroyed it !.

All my fault for wanting to get it flying in a hurry. Bought another fuselage kit from Nitroplanes and have started again. Futaba 9ZAP reciever, servo's & radio (from my heli's), cut out two more servo locations (for ailerons), will y-connect both ailerons and independent channel both elevators, so i can mix them with ailerons as well as a better pitch control (standard setup with ailerons & elevators connected is a bit iffy, since the control surfaces are so large, aileron movement takes most of the air off the elevator !). Removed and re-glued all hinges, made motor cover/fuselage removable (with plastic screw connections).

Hope to get it in the air in a week or two, will let you know how it goes - i'm confident this plane will fly nicely once trimmed correctly.

Nitroplanes have been a good dealer to buy from.

Kev
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
imagine95

anybody know what is the proper CG for the F-22, twin 55mm jet ?