Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

F22 Raptor questions

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

F22 Raptor questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22 Raptor questions

I know the CG is pretty much set, but can someone that has flown this plane with ok results tell me where there CG is at?? I have tried to fly this plane three times and it is out of controll every time.LOL I'm a good pilot and i would think the CG is way off if it was a glow plane. I mean it seems to have a mind of it's own,
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 AM
mandtra

Default RE: F22 Raptor questions

anyone???
Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
opjose

I don't have this plane but I have a question...

Did it nose up in flight and you had to add a lot of down trim just to try to control it?

Did it seem to be all over the place?

I have the F-35 and the first time I flew it at the recommended C.G. it was a horror show... though I did get it under control to land it...

Not because there was anything inherently wrong with the plane, but rather because of several things that needed adjusting at once...

Namely:

- These planes are fairly pitch sensitive due to the large tail surface
- There is no Expo in the included radio
- The C.G. should be further forward for initial flights ( though it flew fine at the stated C.G. once other things were fixed ).
- It is easy to get slop with the plastic clevisis...
- Elevator neutral point is not defined in the manual
- The power of the motor introduces a fair amount of roll. ( at least on the F-35, dunno about yours though... )

Solution

- The "high rate" ( yes the TX has dual rates ) should be set to move the elevator less than 10mm
- The plane should be flown with the switch set to low rates until you are comfortable.
- The C.G. should be forward of what the manual states especially on the first flights
- I adjusted the trim for roll before flying by pointing the plane nose up, running it up and let it tail stand momentarily... I move the trim about 5 clicks in the opposite roll direction which worked well.
- The control rods should be adjusted so that at the servo horn, they are connected to the second from the innermost hole.
- The control rods should be adjusted so that at the control surface they are connected at or almost at the outer most hole.

The latter two reduce travel while preventing surface flutter.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:42 PM
mandtra

yes that's exactly what it did. I'm also thinking of moving it to my JR 9303 any idea if the included reciever is pos or neg shift? and see if that helps. How do you know where neutral is on the elevator surfaces?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
opjose

The included RX is Futaba shift compatible not JR compatible.

On mine the neutral turned out to be with the elevator about a degree LE UP (not down)..

In other words just barely noticible that the LE of the elevator is just starting to come off even with the fuselage lines.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
mandtra

ok, thanks for the help. I,m going to replace the RX with a JR and programit in my TX and reset att the controls , and try to get it a bit more nose heavy. and will try any fly it tomorroy if weather is ok. will report back
Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
opjose

Please note the correction above... it's a degree UP not down.

In other words the nose is being pushed down ever so slightly.

Watch for slop as well... make sure that there is no movement of the surfaces other than what the servo permits.