Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Tiger Hornet

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
chad32u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger Hornet

So my Exceed RC CF-18 is no longer working. I took it out for a flight yesterday and finished off with a nice landing. Brought it home, charged the battery and put the jet away for today's flight. When I plugged the battery into the Hornet today, nothing happened. I unplugged it and plugged it in again and still nothing. I even tried my other three batteries. All batteries have been tested to show good voltage (approx 12.2V). I did notice, however, that all servos would move ever so slightly everytime I would plug the battery in. Now all control surfaces are a maximum deflection, so there is some amount of energy reaching the components. However, the electronics do not make the normal chime sound to indicate functionality. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I've looked everything over and it all seems to be connected. To be honest, I'm not sure what could have happened as I haven't tampered with anything. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
opjose

Default RE: Tiger Hornet

Raises hand "I - know, I - Know!"

Seen this myself.

In effect the electronics are being powered up but the RX is not seeing a signal or not acting upon one.
When that happens the servos do exactly as you say.

Carefully unplug the crystal on the TX and plug it back in again.

Do likewise with the RX, then try the plane again after triple checking ALL of the connectors, and polarity. ( nothing inside is loose right? you unfurled the antenna and it is now outside the plane? ).

If this doesn't work, I normally check the RX using another TX on the same channel, but you may not have one around that is compatible.

You'll have to PM John about this if that is the case....

BTW: I had this happen too when I was trying to use a TX that turned out not to be fully compatible. I switched to another and things were fine... my bad.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 PM
chad32u

I was hoping with every bone in my body that you were right. Unfortunately, I was unable to attain any results.

I still have to get a tx of a similar freq from a friend of mine. Hopefully I'll get her back in the air soon because otherwise I absolutely love this jet!

Thanks for the help. I'm still open to other possibilities...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 PM
opjose

It's a reciever or TX problem.

Your servos will seem to keep advancing each time you turn it on.

I've had mixed results using other TX's with the provided receivers. So if you get no-where don't assume that it's the RX.

Some work just great, and others only seem to work with the provided TX.
On the latter it may just be that I tried the wrong combination, e.g. wrong shift pattern...

I've also have had great success replacing the RX with an inexpensive synth Corona 8 channel receiver. That way I can switch to any channel out at the airfield.

I practically have all of my Nitroplane EDF's switched over so I can control them from my one Tracker III TX that I use for these electrics.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 PM
chad32u

Thanks. You're providing me with some great info. A friend of mine is bringing his tx/rx crystals over tomorrow, so I'll have a clearer idea of what's going on.

Can you provide me a web address of where to attain the synth Corona 8 channel receiver and the Tracker III TX?

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:38 AM
opjose

PM'd you.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 PM
chad32u

Thanks for the PM and the other info.

So I've narrowed my issue down to a faulty speed controller or a faulty tx/rx. Can I request warranty items via this thread? If so I can provide you my details via PM. Thanks again...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 AM
opjose

PM John here... ( aka Nitrostaff1 ).
Old 03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
wekenav8r
My Feedback: (37)

chad32u,
I know that John will take care of you on this, as I've been very pleased with their customer service. However, I have the same plane as you, but installed my own JR rx, to use with my JR tx. I have the Exceed tx and rx out of my plane that isn't needed. I did put batteries in the tx so I could bench test everthing, and the tx and rx work fine. I would be happy to send these to you for the cost of shipping, if you need them. Let me know, and either way, good luck. Glad you like the plane, I love mine too.