Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

CMP Giles Alternate CG check

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

CMP Giles Alternate CG check

Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM
hueyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP Giles Alternate CG check

The CMP Giles 202 instruction manual shows to measure 165mm perpendicular to the fuse centerline and then 85mm/95mm back from the LE to get the balance points on the wing either side of the fuse. If i draw a straight line across the bottom of the fuse connecting those two points can I balance the plane on the flat bottom of the fuse to determine cg? If I'm balancing on the same cog line that is perpendicular to the fuse does it matter weather i'm out on the wing or at the flat of the fuse? I don't have a fancy balancer to support the plane at the wing. Also, is the plane right side up or upside down when balancing the cog?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CMP Giles Alternate CG check

Upside down and I would ask someone at the place you fly if the have a CG machine it is well worth it to do it right. Good lock and enjoy.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:04 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Giles Alternate CG check

ORIGINAL: hueyman
If i draw a straight line across the bottom of the fuse connecting those two points can I balance the plane on the flat bottom of the fuse to determine cg?
Yes you can.

Remember the C.G. is where it is, so to speak.

You are trying to adjust the mass of the plane so that it has no particular preference to pointing the nose down or tail down, when suspended at that point.

Some people misake this with trying to achieve a perfectly level plane, when suspended at that point.

Often this is not possible, as veritical CG and lateral C.G. is not taken into account.

Normally low wing planes are checked upside down, while mid and high wing planes right side up, but really it's up to you.
You can do it either way.

Don't get too focused on trying to get the plane to remain level. You merely want no tendancy to always drop the nose or tail in particular.

ORIGINAL: hueyman
If I'm balancing on the same cog line that is perpendicular to the fuse does it matter weather i'm out on the wing or at the flat of the fuse? I don't have a fancy balancer to support the plane at the wing. Also, is the plane right side up or upside down when balancing the cog?

Thanks
Because we are not dealing with additional factors such as vertical and lateral C.G., you are safest balancing the plane at the indicated points , or rather the intersection of the lines as the manual suggests.

Re: Upside

The manual is specifiying right side up.

You CAN balance it upside down, but you will have an easier time doing so with a "fancy balancer" as the angle of the wings comes into play.