Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

CMP Pro Marathon 20~24cc AEROBATIC AIRPLANE

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

CMP Pro Marathon 20~24cc AEROBATIC AIRPLANE

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Steam28
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Pro Marathon 20~24cc AEROBATIC AIRPLANE

I just ordered this plane as was hoping someone had a PDF version of the instruction manual. I could not find it on the web.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Steam28

Opjose,
Nice plane, I am now building one. I noticed in your pictures (post #1) that you put a slight Z bendto the elevator linkage exiting the fuselage. I assume you did that to avoid the rod that is exposed from the fuselage from bending too much? Did you also cross the fiberglass tubes from the servos to the elevators to minimize the bending?
Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
WildeOne
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the manual ... Opjose scanned it for me. PM me ur email and I'll send it to you.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Steam28

Opjose,
Nice plane, I am now building one. I noticed in your pictures (post #1) that you put a slight Z bend to the elevator linkage exiting the fuselage. I assume you did that to avoid the rod that is exposed from the fuselage from bending too much? Did you also cross the fiberglass tubes from the servos to the elevators to minimize the bending?
Thanks.
If I recall correctly the single elevator rod terminates in two small wire pushrods. I put a Z bend towards the back to try to keep the "Y" as straight as possible at the end of the pushrod.

If you widen the two arms, there will be a tendancy for the wire to act as a spring which can lead to flutter. So the straighter it is the better.

There is a slight outward "Y" bend, but the "Z" bend is what keeps things as straight as possible.

Also I made the wires at the "Y" as short as possible to further keep the wire rods from flexing

And NO I did not "cross" the "Y" rods as this too would create a spring effect.

I haven't had any flutter issues, but I don't fly my plane at high speeds either.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Steam28

ORIGINAL: opjose

Opjose,
Nice plane, I am now building one. I noticed in your pictures (post #1) that you put a slight Z bendto the elevator linkage exiting the fuselage. I assume you did that to avoid the rod that is exposed from the fuselage from bending too much? Did you also cross the fiberglass tubes from the servos to the elevators to minimize the bending?
Thanks.
If I recall correctly the single elevator rod terminates in two small wire pushrods. I put a Z bend towards the back to try to keep the "Y" as straight as possible at the end of the pushrod.

If you widen the two arms, there will be a tendancy for the wire to act as a spring which can lead to flutter. So the straighter it is the better.

There is a slight outward "Y" bend, but the "Z" bend is what keeps things as straight as possible.

Also I made the wires at the "Y" as short as possible to further keep the wire rods from flexing

And NO I did not "cross" the "Y" rods as this too would create a spring effect.

I haven't had any flutter issues, but I don't fly my plane at high speeds either.

Opjose,<o></o>

<o></o>

Actually, there are two elevator rods, one for each servo/ side of the elevator. As rigid as the fiberglass rods are and not supported along the way, they seem to be working for you. Aside from the rods being connected at each end to a servo arm and control horn, I am surprised they stay in place. I don’t have anything hooked up yet to see it work.<o></o>

<o></o>

Thanks. <o></o>

Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 PM
captn conch

Just some of the basic probsthat happen to us who are building a Marathon that are not addressed: I had to get out the dremel and grind out a little of the wood to get my T Pro SG5010 servos to fit in the wings and yes in that hole in the tail section..Tight huh?it takes some modification skills to shoehorn those servos in I'm sure if you are using Futaba servos it is the same deal.. So that is as far as i am in on my Marathon build. the aierlons were easy to hinge and work great! The engine is a CRRC 26 side carb. I'll try to post progress reports as I go However I am a slow builder. You know what? this engine seems to be a well built thing. Finish is very good, The carbhas automatic choke for starting This appears to be a well machined motor. I also have a DLE 30 that is going to go in my CMPro Giles but to compare the motors, the CRRC physically appears to be the the bettter finished motor and does have the automatic choke carb feature, the DLE does not.. Well, I'm gonna see how each pans out.

Will update as I progress on this build.
Captain Conch
Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 AM
opjose

Opjose,
Nice plane, I am now building one. I noticed in your pictures (post #1) that you put a slight Z bend to the elevator linkage exiting the fuselage. I assume you did that to avoid the rod that is exposed from the fuselage from bending too much? Did you also cross the fiberglass tubes from the servos to the elevators to minimize the bending?
Thanks.
You are right, it's one pushrod per elevator. No "Y" is used.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: captn conch

Just some of the basic probs that happen to us who are building a Marathon that are not addressed: I had to get out the dremel and grind out a little of the wood to get my T Pro SG5010 servos to fit in the wings and yes in that hole in the tail section..Tight huh?
Yup... but that's not unusual....

I have a hand held low power Dremel with a small side cut bit dedicated to doing this with most of my ARFs.... including GP and Horizon ARFs that often require the same treatment.

Better a bit too much material than not enough!

Note the slight inverted "U" cut in the first image in the pushrod hole, to facilitate getting the arms in and out.

I also used a GP tail gear assembly that cost all of $2.00 in that picture... this price included the aluminum wheel too.

In the second image you can see the servo syncronizer I used for the two elevator servos.

It's a very nice flying plane, practice your approach speeds before the first landings... you'll find that it will want to continue flying and float over the field.

It also may fly more slowly than you anticipate.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
captn conch

Why the need for servo synchronizer? Yes I took your advice and installed one of those GP tailwheel assmbly what a wonderful cheap improvement, I really like them. I bought another for my CMP Giles which will be the next build.

BTY Opjose, Did you get a new engine installed? If so what is it and how do youlike it?

Cap Conch
Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 AM
opjose

Why the need for servo synchronizer? Yes I took your advice and installed one of those GP tailwheel assmbly what a wonderful cheap improvement, I really like them. I bought another for my CMP Giles which will be the next build.

BTY Opjose, Did you get a new engine installed? If so what is it and how do you like it?

Cap Conch
Re: Servo Sync

The servo sync is to avoid having to use a separate TX channel.

I find that they are a good idea particularly for elevators.

I guess I could have just put both connectors on the same side of the servo.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
captn conch

Well I got a couple of good days working on the Marathon, This is the largest plane I've built and the size makes it easier to access. I glued the elevators, rudders and aierolons using Elmers carpenter glue after counter sinking the non-notched holes just a tad. What was neat I was able to insert those hinge pins in very flush and nicely with virtually no gap the way they predrilled them. I'm using aExpert Electronicsservo reversing y harness for those dual elevator servos Yes it rubs if you try to place one of the rods on the outside ofoneservo in order to get both to control elevators correctly. I just ordered that part today. Looks like the CRRC 26 CC gas engine will need additional spacing to get it to stick out far enough so need longer bolts and maybe some wood blocks or washers to be spacers, I get the feeling it may be a littletail heavy..Heyopjosedo you remember how yourscg'd out?did you need to add weight up front I seeyou mentioned your batteries were under the fuel tank to get some forwardballast. So far this has been an easy build.Next up is engine time. I got a little eager and did not get the wheel pantseven with each other now I gotta back track a bit and fill and redrill the little hole there on oneto get em even.
Capn' Conch
Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Steam28

Captn,
I just finished installing my ailerons, elevators etc. using two part 30 min epoxy.The gaps are nice and tight. I will be installing a DLE-30 rear carb engine. I just finished plugging the factory drilled holes in the firewall with dowels and getting ready to drill the proper holes for the DLE-30.
Thanks.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 PM
captn conch

Yeah I gotta plug those holes too. Man I sure wanted to use the DLE 30 but I thought I would go with the easiest install and stick to the side carb of this CRRC 26cc. Keep us posted I want to hear how the DLE works out. I'd like to see how you link up the rear carb. Seems like there ought to be plenty of room in that area. I'm going to be putting the DLE 30 in the CMP Giles 202. Very similar to Marathon except for the two elevator servos in the tail section.
Conch
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 AM
dditch

Any video of that bad boy in the air?
I'd love to see some video
Old 04-23-2011, 04:23 PM
captn conch

I just used a 6" servo reversing Y harness from Expert Electronics for my elevator servos seems to work just fine as it is adjustable, I will put a little silicon on the adjusting screw so it does not alter in flight as it's screw adjust very easily. Yup I said I was slow, but I hope to get it done and up in another week.
Hey there is a great video on You Tube of a Marathon.. go to You Tube and punch in Marathon 24.wmv and see if it brings up the video. Man I hope somedayI can fly mine like this fellow does. video is by Trailgaze. It's powered by a MVVS 26 cc gas.
I'm getting that finish line feeling on this plane.....
Conch
Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Giles 202 also. I like the Dle 30 on it.....gobs of power! Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29918.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1648936  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
captn conch

Lets see if I can upload some pix of my almost finished Marathon with CRRC 26cc Gasser. I cut off the trumpet end of the velocity stack to fit within the cowel, I'll see how that works. Also, I put on larger tires for more clearance, The engine fit real well had to use extra standoffs to get it out far enough. More pics as I put it back together.
Captn' Conch in Cape Coral FL where it is hotter than the devils armpit.

Name:	Hf98948.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1661816   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43027.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1661817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15069.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1661818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32128.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1661819  
Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM
captn conch

Here are some more pixwith it all together. Note it shows a lot more tire sticking out of the wheel pantsthan stock. I'm still making a final decision on the choke method, but everything else is basically done. I figure I'll go to the airfield and do some bench tuning and running before Launch. I guess I'll gothe 16X8 prop, I built a 4 AA 4.7 volt 2500mah battery pack for the ignition and will use the 5 AA 2000mah 6 volt for servos,both arenimh.I'm getting impatient, thedetails are killing me! Hmmm, I just noticed, Looks kinda neat there on the side view looks like flames coming out the muffler cutout area
.Captn' Conch

Name:	Bz79217.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1661874   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43797.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1661875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69776.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1661876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66096.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1661877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46225.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1661878  
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 AM
opjose

Looking good!

It is a sweet flying plane.

You'll like it.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 PM
captinjohn

opjose, is the wings close enough in fit and size to be installed on the Green and White 72 inch Giles 202 I have? If anyone has a airplane that is going to be tail heavy...get the neat device that has a rod that installs in fuse and has a arm on each end to work 2 elevators....via pull-pull. All you see is what looks like 2 servo arms on side of fuse. Capt,n
Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 AM
captn conch

Hey Cap you got a picture of that device? or a website? I have a feeling the Alien Giles may be tailheavy
Hey Opjose how did you tighten your prop against the standard supplied spinner so it doesnt come loose?

Well, took the Marathon to the R/Seahawks field to bench start the CRRC GF26i with the experts in attendance. After prepping it etc. it would not start. It was typical 90 degree humid day so after much sweaty effort no go. All involved thought there was no spark and it was a bad plug cap that must be shorting out with the plug in. so that night I hooked it up in the house rotated the engine with the plug grounded to engine and there was the spark, it looked weak. unable to see it outside in sunny day. So I thought about ordering an RCexl ignition. I called to order but The fellow I talked to said if I'm seeing a spark its probably ok. Well he talked me out of buying the new ignition. Out to driveway I go and tank up but this time I rocked the prop a lot to make sure I was getting fuel to and in carb. I smelled the gas odor as I rocked. Choked carb,ignition off a couple of spins of the prop, ignition on couple of more spins on prop and pop it hit, so choke off couple of more spins and it started up and ran....ran good too, good reponse no bog or lag. Hot damn thats the good feeling!
Next problem the prop does not want to stay tight. I'm going to try the sandpaper method so I can get better contact with hub/spinner/nut surfaces. Next up, the engine is running good but the plug is loosening but still runs good. I guess it just wasnt screwed in tight enough...thought it was. Well I cant get loose from work til Tues. Finish up these gremlin problems...I just wanna FLY this baby!

Tip o' the Hat and Thanks to Milton at www.rcextremepower.com for the expert advice, Maybe he lost a sale now but he gained a customer from here on out.
He had the best price on the RCexl ignitions. Phone # 678-372-7697 Check 'em out.

Captn Conch

Old 10-02-2011, 01:05 PM
opjose

Hey Opjose how did you tighten your prop against the standard supplied spinner so it doesnt come loose?
I used a wood prop.

After I got the engine running and tuned I went back and retightened it again.

Since the wood tends to compress, it is important to check and retighten the prop nut.

I used a larger 12-15" wrench so I could torque it down.

With a standard 8-9" wrench I cannot get enough torque and the prop nut tends to come loose.

Use a bigger wrench!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 AM
captinjohn

Conch...let us know how she handles in the air! Thanks Capt,n
Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 PM
captn conch

OK. I maidened my Marathon last week, Fiddled around with learning the starting habits, sore arm from flipping the prop, engine tuned, lift off without the cowl on for adjustment purposes. It was quite squirrely, able to land ok, COG heavy to tail,(Lack of cowl did not help)decided to take it home do more adjusting of end points, and dual rates, Also learning my way around the Turnigy 9x transmitter, Works really good.
So last Tuesday everything readjusted, cowl on, choke hooked up to satisfaction, nice straight runway accelerationand up she went but DAMMIT..... I was on regular rate notlow dualrate and almost lost it right after take off...Wow aerilons, elevatorvery, very sensitive! Changed underwear with help, flippedto low rate andstill a very responsive rate! I had moved both of the AA 2500 mah battery packsto front of the firewall under motor boxas part of the rebalance and COG was just right. Ifigured outhow to start the CRRC26cc engine quickly and reliably. Great.I may have a bit over an hour on it but I gotta adjust the throttle servo arm to a better position. Other wise the thrill of a new plane! I'm wondering if the 16x8 prop is on the small side? But for breakin it is probably just right. Went to wood Xoar prop, I swear the Masterscrew prop used in pictures in prior post was flexing at higher RPM, Wood prop is better and I have no worries now of not being able to tighten prop adequately, Also I switched to an aluminum back hub for better grip, Looks good and works. A little more tweaking hear and there and it will be fine. I backed off all control surfaces and it is now quite docile.....for now.......OK, now I'm in the beginning of the thinking stage of the CMP Alien Giles 202 with the DLE 30...Time to peek in box..winter project....HA! Winter is the time to fly here in SW Florida, finally cooling off to tolerable temperatures.
Conch
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
captinjohn

conch, here is a photo of the device to make the 2 elevator halves(a buy-able item)to work with pull-pull. Also is a photo of 2 servo case tops with a drill for example. Where the drill is you make a aluminum or carbon fiber rod with arms attached to work elevator. The cables will need to be inside fuse with one heavy duty servo to drive it. Capt,n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.