Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Hey Opjose

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Gale155

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Opjose

I realize this may be the wrong forum, but I seem to be afflicted with the helicopter bug. I've mastered a coaxial, http://www.nitroplanes.com/dyvo3704chco.html , which has been a very good learning platform. I even accidentally flew it into the top of a 40-foot white pine, and it survived the subsequent power-off dive to earth with minimal damage (its plunge was broken by several branches on its way down). It's taped and cracked in a few spots, and has required some maintenance, but it's still airworthy. I've also logged quite a bit of simulator time.

I'd like to move up to CP, and am interested only in scale...none of those funny-looking 3-D's with the fuse that covers only the nose. What I've got my eye on is this: http://www.nitroplanes.com/eskyheli-...x-rtf-red.html

Do you think this would be a good next step? Also, do you (or John) have any idea when this particular model might be back in stock?

Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
opjose

Default RE: Hey Opjose

The smaller helis tend to be quite "jittery". And they tend to wear faster due to their plastic parts.

I would suggest that you buy one of these instead:

[link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/exi-450-rc-helicopter-kit-v2.html]Click me![/link]

Yes it is a 3D type of heli, but consider the following.

- You can install a scale "shell" on it to make it look as scale as you want.
- You can EASILY obtain replacement parts and substitute parts from other 450 helis
- You can put in your own inexpensive ( and better ), motor, gyro and electronics.
- It will fly FAR more smoothly, and it will be far more stable in the air.
- It is large enough to handle training gear ( sticks and balls ) to help prevent rollover as you learn.
- It uses standard 450 blades.
- You will not tire of it.
- It can use inexpensive HXT 9g servos
- It can use inexpensive but good heading hold gyros.
- You can use your own TX ( or if you don't have a suitable one, spend the money where it is needed on a decent heli/plane TX ).
- If you burn something out, you can replace it with someone elses!
- And yes while it says "plastic" many of the parts are metal or can be upgraded to metal later.

I picked up one of those and I put in the HX 9G servos, I'm using a $19.00 heading hold gyro, a small Monster power motor from Nitroplanes, a 30A ESC, LiPo packs I already had on hand, my 2.4gHz TX, a Spektrum DSM/2 five channel receiver I had, etc.

I think all told I spent about $120.00 to end up with an EXCELLENT heli, of course this was due in part to the on hand batteries and RX, but everything else was very inexpensive, and high quality stuff.

There are a bunch of web sites I've run accross that favorablyreview the same heli I've suggested, especially when used this way.

Note however, it is best to have someone who knows small electric helis help you out if possible... particularly trimming and checking it out after it is assembled by you.

Many build videos and instruction sites exist for it too.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Gale155

Thanks for the input, Opjose. I hadn't really considered a kit (considering my skill level), but after viewing several build threads and videos, I decided to give it a go. I just ordered the kit you suggested, only it's the EXI 500 plastic version...$89.36 shipped from Nitroplanes (with a 5% coupon I found online). And yes, I realize the electronics (especially the battery packs) and scale fuselage will be more expensive, but what the heck...I KNOW I'll never get bored with this one. Plus, it sounds to me like the 500 is much more stable than the 450.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM
opjose

Good choice.

Try to have someone with good electric experience help you perform the final trimming and setup.

It's a pretty nice heli.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Gale155

ORIGINAL: opjose

Good choice.

Try to have someone with good electric experience help you perform the final trimming and setup.

It's a pretty nice heli.

Well, I got the kit and I'm really impressed with the quality. Like the 450 version you suggested, it's got lots of metal. I went with cheap-but-good on the cyclic servos, gyro and motor, and semi-cheap on the main rotors (CF). I'm still undecided on the ESC/BEC and tail servo - seems to me that these are two areas where it might not be wise to go cheap-but-good? I'm leaning towards a Scorpion ESC with internal BEC, and either Align or Ino-Lab for the tail servo. As a noob, I don't want to have to fool around with Futaba and their step-down requirements. Keep in mind that I have no intention of anything remotely akin to 3-D...at least not intentionally.

Do you ever post in the X-Heli support forum?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
opjose

As far as the ESC, almost ANY ESC you purchase can and will overheat and cause problems if it is not sized appropriately.

You want to purchase an ESC that can handle a continuous current about 20-25% MORE than you'll ever demand from it.

Even the inexpensive ESC's do fairly well if you follow this rule, and even the more expensive ESC's may have a bad or poor solder joint.

The higher capacity will also help if the heli crashes stalling the blades... In this situation the ESC can quickly heat up, and the higher capacity means it will take longer to do so... hopefully you'll bring it to idle throttle in time to save the ESC...

And of course the ESC can be used elsewhere, or in another frame in this situation.

As far as the BEC, personally I'm so used to wiring up BEC's that I usually do not incure the cost of more expensive ESC's with switch mode on board BEC. Instead I opt for maximum ( within reason ) ESC capacity, and wire up fairly inexpensive 9.00 BECs, in a removable/transportable fashion.