Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 120 AX and black exhaust oil

Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
bkg1956

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 120 AX and black exhaust oil

Hello.

Ran my 120 AX after letting it set idle for several months. The exhaust oil discharge was very black. Someone said it was due to friction between the muffler and engine. Make sense? If so what solution do you propose?

Could it be a bearing issue? No rough turning, strange sounds. Starts with one flip of the prop and runs fine.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Laird SS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 120 AX and black exhaust oil

The friction with the muffler that they might be talking about is when the muffler can move relative to the exhaust outlet. If that's the case, tighten the screws holding the muffler in place and check them frequently.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 120 AX and black exhaust oil

The muffler is held onto the engine by two bolts. This does allow the muffler to move around a bit. This will cause some aluminum to rub off of the muffler or exhaust port. Exhaust residue will also "cook" inside the muffler and become dark. The two together cause the dark residue to form. You can check this by running without the muffler and capturing some of the exhaust residue on a piece of white card. If you still see a dark residue with small metal particles, you do have an internal problem.