Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 50 SX making strange noise

Old 09-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Jeff396
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 50 SX making strange noise

Hi,

I bought an OS 50 SX at the beginning of this season. It has and still runs and starts great. Problem is that at my last two visits to the field it has started making a strange noise. At 1/3 throttle it sounds just like an air cooled Volkswagen Beetle engine and the sound intensifies as the throttle is advanced. I'd almost call it a whirring sort of buzzing sound. We've checked that everything is tight on the plane and even tried to run it without the cowl. I also checked that the prop was balanced. This engine has run so well that it still had the original glow plug in it. I also took off the back plate thinking that a bad rod might make this sound but everything looks good. Do you have any idea what might be causing this problem?

Jeff
Old 09-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OS 50 SX making strange noise

A whirring noise usually indicates that the rear bearing is starting to go. A lot of aerobatic flying or little after-run protection are the usual causes. Aerobatic flying stresses the bearings and helps wear them out early. Lack of after-run care allows corrosion to build. Corrosion is the most common reason bearings wear out.