Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS120 FS Destroyed... PLEASE

Old 09-27-2014, 11:06 AM
guille2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS120 FS Destroyed... PLEASE

Well guys, here is the post I made about 2weeks ago (may be less?)... check the pictures there.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ques...-destryed.html

I'm specially asking to the OS technical support!!!! BTW: DO I HAVE SOME SUPPORT IN ITALY?!?!?
Just for the lazy ones opening my previous post:
- Engine had 120 flights (yes, I counted them; I'm a freak!!!!)
- I bought it brand new from tower 4 years ago (... And I'm not proud of only 120 flights on it)
- Fuel and maintenance was always as manual requests
- Flown always with the very same prop: APC 15x8
For more details, read the post linked above...
Regards!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:22 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine was purchased from Tower, we'd be the service center for normal warranty repairs. At this point, though, the warranty would not apply, since it would be long expired.

As far as why the engine became damaged, we'd have no idea unless we have the opportunity to inspect it. When a rod breaks and lets go, it's usually because it seizes to the crankshaft and the bottom-end gets twisted off. That can happen because of low lubrication, foreign material, over-stressing, and so on. Without looking at the engine, we'd not be able to offer any advice on what happened. At this point, repairs could be quire costly, depending upon which parts need to be replaced. Likely, you're looking at a new crankcase, new bearings, new piston, ring, rod, and possibly liner. Once the parts costs are added-up, it's likely a new engine would be more economical.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:49 PM
guille2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK; thanks Bill... now I'm crying!!

But I'm still surprised of the damage. Engine was never abused and always used by the handbook; with so: can you tell what's the normal expected life for this engine model? My bet is 15hrs is too low...

Last edited by guille2006; 09-29-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:38 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine life is very varied. The average engine likely doesn't last past 30-40 hours' worth of running because it's just not well taken-care of. RC car engines are lucky to last even 20. However, properly-run engines that are well-cared for can exceed 100 hours of running time. This can all be taken as very rough estimates because the environment model engines run in is actually quite harsh. They are run in unimproved areas off of dirty pavement or off of grass and dust. Running off of paved surfaces doesn't offer as much protection as one would think because the engine is so low to the surface, which is full of dirt, sand, and other contaminants.