Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS GT15 starting issue

Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default OS GT15 starting issue

I have a new OS GT15 mounted inverted to a GP 60 size P-47. I also have a JTEC in-cowl muffler mounted to the engine. I follow the starting instructions to the letter. I first open the throttle just past half way and spin the engine over for 7seconds. I see fuel going to the carb. I then close the throttle to 1/4 and turn on the ignition and try to start the engine but it will not start. I then squirt a little fuel into the venturi and spin the engine over with my starter and it fires right up and runs and never quits. I am using Sthil HD synthic at 25 to 1. I have done two 10 minute runs and this is the only way I can get it to start. Will the engine get easier to start or should I open up the low end just a little. The instructions are very clear about not touching the low end until after it has been broken in. Thanks for your help
Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Opening the low-speed needle a bit won't hurt a thing. That is the most likely reason the engine's not getting fuel to start up. You may also want to check the fuel screen in the carb. It sometimes gets clogged with trash from the fuel tank.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:07 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I will check the two things you suggested.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:52 AM
GLbiggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bax,
I have a 15GT that is running really rich on low end and is difficult to start without closing main needle. I've found that adjusting the low speed needle does not help.
I've checked all over and I can't find a filter screen in the carby.