Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Manufacturers Direct Support Forum > O.S. Engines Support
Reload this Page >

1988 O.S. .21 MAX EXR and O.S. .21 MAX RF Factory Needle Settings HELP?

Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

1988 O.S. .21 MAX EXR and O.S. .21 MAX RF Factory Needle Settings HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:58 AM
bisszerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 O.S. .21 MAX EXR and O.S. .21 MAX RF Factory Needle Settings HELP?

I sent an e-mail to O.S. a while ago and haven't received any information. Does anyone know the settings to start with on these engines? as I have both lying around and I'd like to get my Kyosho Turbo Burns going again.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually, a high-speed needle setting of 2-1/2 turns or so with the idle mixture at about the midpoint of its range will be good starting points. If you send an email request to:

[email protected]

we might be able to send a scan of each engine's instructions.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 AM
bisszerk

Great! These settings don't seem too far off from where I am with the .21 now. It seems to be overheating even though I was running it richer (HSN 3.5 turns, LSN Screwhead flush). I guess with your info, maybe the engine has an air leak or has lost full compression. First, I think I will try a new glow plug and new fuel. Thanks Bax.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM
bisszerk

BTW, could u tell me if the .21 engines parts new and old are somewhat universal. As in, can I buy a New O.S. Piston and Collar and put in the old engines to rebuild them?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine's overheating, it will accelerate up to full throttle, run there for a bit, and then start to sag in RPM, even though the throttle is still wide-open. If the engine's just getting hot to the touch, but still running well, it's not running too hot. Older car engines didn't have as large a heat-sink as many newer engines, so they will get hotter to the touch. Airplane engines will get hot enough to give you severe burns...we've measured an airplane engine at 375 degrees F while running at very happily at full throttle. Temps are only for reference once you've found the setting where the engine will accelerate and sustain running. They are not the be-all and end-all of engine setting.

Parts have to be for the specific engine or they won't fit. While displacements may be the same between engines, the bore, stroke, thickness of the liner, port timing, and so on will all be different.

Last edited by Bax; 02-03-2015 at 06:47 AM.