Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Scott J.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:36 PM
sjax41
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scott J.

My OS 95 AX does not have a dependable idle and hasn't had one since I got from a guy that bought it new. Good top end and mid range, good at low speed but will not idle dependably. I used a Jet Pipe on the engine for more RPM's and worked fine at full throttle no problems with the engine but wont idle. Went back to the stock muffler still the same, wont idle. Pulled the carb cleaned it changed the Orings went to the book reset the settings on the carb to what the book says still have the idle problem. bought a Perry carb for the engine still wont idle dependably. Does anyone have any idea what I might try to remedy this problem or is this engine flawed from the factory.
Scott
Old 07-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the cylinder/piston/ring fit is starting to go, the first symptom is bad idle, no matter how you adjust it. However, the most common reasons for a bad idle are bad fuel, a bad glow plug, poorly-adjusted idle mixture, and trying to idle too slowly. Sometimes, having a propeller that's too large or too small will also cause idle problems. Try absolutely fresh fuel, first.

When you throttle down to idle, what does the engine do? Does it gradually slow down and quit? It's too rich. Does it slow down and then speed up a bit before quitting? That means too lean. As far as idle RPM is concerned anything lower than 2,500 is considered "good". It wasn't all that long ago that 3,000 RPM was a good idle.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:50 AM
sjax41
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Bill. Everything you mentioned has been tried the only type plug I haven't tried is a plug with an idle bar. I'm just wondering has anyone that has a OS 95 AX experienced the same problem? The engine has really good compression and starts quickly but was and still is problematic with the idle. There seems to be no sweet spot that I can find, that will cause the engine to have a dependable idle. I have tried a 14x6 12x8 and everything in between and nothing has worked so far. I replaced the OS engine with a Super Tiger G-90 and had no problem setting the idle or high speed. If you have any other ideas I might try to correct this problem please email me with it and I'll give it a try.
Thanks
Scott J.