Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Any issues mounting an OS 110a inverted

Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 PM
aircraftbuilder67
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any issues mounting an OS 110a inverted

Is there any issue mounting a 110a inverted? In the absence of "issues", is it something that you would recommend doing or is this asking for potential issues?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 05:46 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With any glow engine, running inverted could be problematic. That's because the glow plug becomes the lowest point in the fuel system, and it can accumulate raw fuel at low throttle settings. That would tend to "load up" the engine and cause it to quit at idle or upon throttle-up.

The best thing to do is to get the engine well-broken-in in the upright position and get it well tuned. Then, you can mount it inverted and go from there. You may need to lean the idle mixture a bit and increase the idle RPM to get reliability. You may find that adding a glow plug battery that turns on at low throttle settings is needed. You can never tell until you try it, but start out with an absolutely-reliable engine, first.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
aircraftbuilder67
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply...... I've never mounted a glow engine inverted. Would you say a sideways mount would be ok to mount a new engine. Never did a sideways glow mount either. So much to do, so little time.

Thank you for you advice.

Craig
Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mounting an engine sideways doesn't change how it runs from upright. Just mount it with the exhaust port pointed downwards.