Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

trouble with replacing low speed needle

Old 10-06-2016, 05:46 PM
flyhi
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with replacing low speed needle

Got OS 46 AX and lost low speed carb idle needle. got new one, part 24681610 and cannot get it to screw in the carb cylinder. any ideas? do I need to take off something first then put the low speed "metering needle" in? thanks. [email protected]
Old 10-07-2016, 06:23 AM
do335a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very strange that you would lose the needle unless it was taken out and then lost.

If you check the instruction manual here: http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/46ax-manual.pdf you will see that there is a rubber "o"ring on the needle. This provides sufficient friction for it to stay set and not unscrew.

So how did it come out?

It should simply unscrew, although not on its own and not without your help and the replacement would be screwed in. If there is some obstruction, such as broken off part from the old needle in the carb barrel, then the new one will not screw in properly.

If the engine is an OS 46AX II, the carb and needle arrangement are different.

Last edited by do335a; 10-07-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to check the needle. It must have the small o-ring. Otherwise, it won't stay in. If it won't screw into the housing, then there may be a problem with the threads in the housing, which is also the nut that retains the carburetor arm, or the needle is damaged. You'll have to check it all over very carefully.