Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS Max 61 SF problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 11:50 AM
alesjob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Max 61 SF problems

Good afternoon, I'm new to the forum.

I recently purchased an OS Max 61 SF ringed, it already had problems with the bearings, so I sent them to be changed by a mechanic I trust. Now the engine heats up a lot when it is on and in flight it lost power, and it is very difficult to regulate its idle. It has a 13x6 propeller and I use Omega fuel with 10% nitro, and OS N° 8 glow plug

Could it be because of the propeller and the change of bearings (2 tanks have just been used since the bearings were changed), that the engine heats up a lot and loses power in flight?

Compare the compression against an ASP 46 engine I own, and ASP has much more compression than OS 61 SF.

As the engine has a ring, the compression is not as great?

Greetings.

Last edited by alesjob; 03-15-2022 at 11:56 AM. Reason: wrong text
Old 03-15-2022, 03:57 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes I would try a 12/6 or 11/7 prop. I don't think that the new bearings would have much effect on heating the engine up if anything it should help it run cooler. Go for the prop change. I have always used 11/7 props on .60 size motors.
The following users liked this post:
alesjob (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 04:53 PM
alesjob

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
Yes I would try a 12/6 or 11/7 prop. I don't think that the new bearings would have much effect on heating the engine up if anything it should help it run cooler. Go for the prop change. I have always used 11/7 props on .60 size motors.
Great! Thank you very much, I will try with a 12x6 and 11x7 propeller, which I have exactly, maybe this weekend I will dedicate myself to that.

Another query, The difference in compression between ASP 46 and OS SF61, could it be because the OS has a ring?

Greetings.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:25 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll know more about the ring and compression after you run the engine with a proper prop. If it runs good then your good to go no problem. If it continues to over heat and stop or is hard to tune and burns out glow plugs then the ring and sleeve is probably worn out.
The following users liked this post:
alesjob (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 03:51 AM
alesjob

Originally Posted by AJ Clark
Sabrá más sobre el anillo y la compresión después de hacer funcionar el motor con una hélice adecuada. Si funciona bien, no hay problema. Si continúa sobrecalentándose y se detiene o es difícil de sintonizar y quema las bujías incandescentes, es probable que el anillo y el manguito estén desgastados.
​​​​​​​Thank you very much, I will try that over the weekend, and I will comment on how it turned out.