Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

LA 0.40 RPM's running away from me.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LA 0.40 RPM's running away from me.

I have a OS LA 0.40.
I have not used it much - proboaly less than 1 hr of total running time. inlcuding taxing and 1 short flight.

I am trying to set the speed and finding that when I increase the throttle the rpms will
increase as expected but then it will CONTINUE to increase. I am not sure why it is running away from me. I have it set on my Dura40 but WITHOUT the prop. I noticed that durung this undesired increase the carb hole does NOT increase so I must be getting a mixure change somewhere else. My needle value is set about 1.5 turns from off.

I have also found that the engine never really starts easily. I have even worn a ring from the starter into my nose cone. Occassionaly the nut hoding the propeller (and in the case just the cone) will come loose if the engine does not start and I need too much
pressure on the cone with the starter.

Any help on the above would be apreciated.
Thanks
Steven
Old 10-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: LA 0.40 RPM's running away from me.

We're not sure what difficulty you may be having. If the propeller is properly-installed, an O.S. Max .40 LA with an 10 x 6 prop will turn around 12,000 RPM or so. If the engine climbs very high in RPM, then it's likely that the propeller's not tightened properly, and the engine is spinning inside the prop. This over-rev will eventually damage your engine beyond economical repair.

A loose prop could also be the cause of starting difficulties because it would not allow the engine to turn over properly.

With a properly-installed propeller, no engine should "run away".
Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Baxter
I did not have the propeller installed when I was running the engine. Are you say that I should always have one on when running any engine?
Thanks
Steven
Old 10-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You state that you've taxied the model and flown it a bit, and then state you don't have a propeller mounted.

If you follow the instructions, they clearly state that a propeller is necessary for operation of the engine, and several propeller sizes are suggested.

Without a propeller, we'd be very surprised you can get the engine started. In fact, it's virtually impossible to mount a spinner on the engine without a propeller installed. It's also not good for the engine...it will overspeed and will overheat, both conditions very bad for the engine.

Put a propeller on it and you should have no problems if the engine hasn't already been damaged.