Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

parts exchangeability

Old 10-31-2003, 10:19 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default parts exchangeability

is the head for the 46FX and the 40FX the same? I have corrosion on the 46 head @ the mating surface and I want to swap out a newer 40FX head. Also I am having problems with the engine running really rich no matter what I do. I want to change out the carbs also. Currently I am not getting peak RPMs and I attribute it to the rich running properties. Other than that the engine has been real stable.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:34 AM
Bax

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: parts exchangeability

You would not be able to swap cylinder heads between the O.S. Max .46FX and the .40FX. The .40-size head won't seat properly, and the combustion chamber won't be the correct size.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

other than getting a new head for the 46, is there something else I can do to correct the corroded areas? On a car you can apply a copper spray to the head surface to take up for minor imperfections. Can this be done?
Old 10-31-2003, 04:14 PM
Bax

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We missed something earlier. We've never seen a correded aluminum part on a model engine. We've seen parts with burned fuel residue, but corrosion? You can clean the parts with "0000" (four-ought) steel wool and soapy water. Rinse in water as hot as you can put your hand into without getting burned, shake off and let air dry.

The top of the cylinder liner shouldn't corrode, either. It's nickel-plated brass. The cylinder head gasket's also an aluminum alloy.

Are you sure you're looking at corrosion? In a normal engine, the head is kept tight enough against the cylinder liner that there's no place for corrsion to form.