Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS91 - Dry rear bearing

Old 11-05-2003, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS91 - Dry rear bearing

Hi,

I'd be grateful for your advice.

I have an OS91 which felt a little rough. On opening the backplate, I discovered that the rear bearing is very dry, yet there is plenty of lube on the crankshaft/liner and the inside of the backplate. I'm going to get the bearing changed, but why would it be so dry?

Prop is a 13*8 APC running on 5% Nitro with 20% oil.

Many thanks,

Jack
Old 11-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS91 - Dry rear bearing

The bearing would be dry because the oil's not staying there. This would indicate that your fuel is either all-synthetic, or doesn't have much castor in it. You should use a good-quality after-run oil to keep the bearings in good shape between running sessions.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS91 - Dry rear bearing

Hi Bax,

Thanks for the quick response.

The area imediately around the bearing had no oil on it as well. Its as though the fuel/oil mixture never got forward of the opening in the rear of the crankshaft, is that for any reason you could think of.

In the mean time I'll look for another fuel with a higher percentage of castor in it (the fuel I was using was 18% blend of castor and synthetic).

Jack