Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS FX 1.60 -- Overly Sensitive to Lean Runs ???

Old 06-05-2002, 07:02 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS FX 1.60 -- Overly Sensitive to Lean Runs ???

AnnMarie,

I've been tracking these engine posts for a while and have decided to bring up an old problem I had.

I purchased my OS FX 1.60 almost 2 years ago -- not very long after the model was introduced by OS. Though I was relatively new in RC I felt I was running that engine on the rich side. The only adjustments I had made were with the High-speed needle. After approximately 3 mos I flew it for the 1st time the afternoon after flying it several times. I did not change any adjustments to the engine. It started with a single compression bump just like always and I made an uneventful flight. While I was refueling and prepping for the next flight the compression seamed to be all but gone -- had no idea when that occurred. It still started with a compression bump but was obviously underpowered.

I sent it in to Hobby Services and they diagnosed the problem as a burnt out ring and sleeve -- due to running the engine lean. They were not going to cover it under the warrantee until I convinced them that I had paid very close attention to keeping the engine on the rich side and felt that I was not running the engine consistently lean -- my contention was that if the damage was caused by a lean run it occurred only during a very rare lean run, one caused by the difference between atmospherics from one day to the next. Horizon Services did repair the engine, replaced ring and sleeve, and did not charge me but made it clear to me that they were doing it as a abnormal service.

I made 2 adjustments to my engine setup following this episode. I switched from 10% Cool Power to 10-15% Wildcat. I also re-broke the engine in exactly per manual instructions and have consistently checked this engine's RPM range -- it never left the ground with less than 400rpm shaved off of max. I've been treating this engine like a delicate egg and it has performed flawlessly, even after once being buried in the Florida Sand and requiring a water then alcohol then oil bath to remove the sand from the internals. It still starts easily just by doing a thumb/forefinger compression bump.

After that lengthy intro, my questions are: Is this engine overly sensitive to lean runs? After approximately 2 years following its introduction is there an optimum fuel mix recommendation? Is my assumption about Cool Power correct for this engine -- don't use because 100% synthetic oil?
Old 06-06-2002, 12:51 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Jim!
No, the 160FX usually is not an issue at all as far as overheating...UNLESS its a problem with the muffler being used.

These 2 strokes DO prefer to use a blend or an all castor oil base.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:03 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prefer or Highly Recommended

"These 2 strokes DO prefer to use a blend or an all castor oil base"

Let me re-phrase my original question:

Is this engine overly sensitive to lean runs when using a 100% synthetic oil-based fuel? This question is important because I have read other engine posts that indicate people are using 10% Coolpower for this engine.

BTW, if my memory serves me correctly there is nothing in the engine manual that indicates an all-synthetic oil-based fuel is not recommended.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:31 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem, Jim. No, the engine is not overly sensitive to lean runs with 100% synthetic fuel. That said, however, in GENERAL the OS 2-strokes do prefer a castor blend, so if you have an engine that you're concerned with, I would recommend feeding it a blend.