Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS46 break-In discrepancies

Old 06-14-2002, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS46 break-In discrepancies

I have read many threads that say to never let an ABC engine 4-cycle during break-in since it won't allow enough heat build-up for the parts to seat properly. However, the OS manual *specifically* states that one should allow the .46FX to 4-cycle during this process.

What gives? Who is right?
Old 06-14-2002, 05:01 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The 46FX manual has a translation error. The 46FX should NOT be allowed to 4-cycle or the liner will not seat properly during breakin.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:20 PM

Oh !!! That's a pretty huge error !!! I made *sure* to allow mine to four-cycle based on the instructions within manual, before learning of the differing opinions on the web. I wonder how much I managed to damage my engine! That's a pretty serious omission, especially for an item that, with tax cost over $200 (CDN).
Old 06-14-2002, 05:23 PM

Hi, Fotta! As long as the engine reached reasonable heats during the run in period, it should do fine. If it does not perform well upon completion of the break in then the engine should do fine. If you are not satisfied with how it is running during its first year send it to us for service.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:35 PM

Thanks AnnMArie, as usual your response is *exactly* what it should be.

How would I know if the engine is not operating properly, short of putting it on a dyno and testing power output? Would there be tell-tale signs such as too much smoke, revs not going high enough with a standard prop, stumbling, or...??
Old 06-14-2002, 05:37 PM

Fotta, Happy to help. Thanks for understanding! If the engine is unusually difficult to tune, or if it 'loses tune' in flight, esp if it seems to go suddenly lean totally unexpected, then send it in for a checkup.