Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

61 FX Bearings

Old 06-24-2002, 02:38 AM
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 FX Bearings

Hi,

I have a 61FX that is coming up on 2 years old this fall I think (cant find recept). Its slowly been causing more and more vibration, both on ground and in the air. Running a 13-6 prop. There is significant wobble out at the tips of the prop when I move it side to side by hand. Its been making this clattery surging back and forth sound, like it oscillates between rpm's. Pulled the backplate off, and found metal chips in the lower crankcase. Pulled the crank out, and found that the back bearing feels really ruff, and looks like the inside of the crank housing is all scoored up inside from the crank rubbing on it between the front and rear bearing. Like there wasn't enough clearance between it and the crankshaft. Not sure what to make of it. It seems to hold its needle settings very well, but I dont think it winds up like it should, because of the vibration. Its the second FX I've had on a 5 year old GP's 40 size Extra 300 kit. Its a fun plane with the 61. Thanks for any help.

Kevin