Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FX46 Cylinder Peeling

Old 07-29-2002, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FX46 Cylinder Peeling

I have an FX-46 engine approximately 3 years old, however it doesn't have a lot of flying time.

In the first or possibly second year of flying this engine, it quit during a landing approach and landed "dead stick". Upon restarting for more flying, the engine wouldn't idle properly and the compression was low. I replaced the engine with my trusty FS-46 and shelved it until this year.

When I dismantled the engine I noticed the chrome plate had peeled away from the upper end of the cylinder. This engine was never run lean nor had in been crashed. Replacing the cylinder and piston out of warrantee is cost prohibitive and I am a little hestitant to purchase another FX-46 and experience the problem again.

Is there a problem with cylinder linings? Any idea of what caused this problem?

Thanks for your help
DaveB
Old 07-29-2002, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, Dave! there was an issue with peeling liners (a very small percentage of engines sold, but it did exist) about 3 years ago...OS changed the lining format on the newer FXs and we've stood behind those that have peeled. Plese send the liner with a copy of this email to us and we will exchange it no charge.

/Please visit http://www.hobbyservices.com/ for a service worksheet and information to ease the process of sending your items for service.

Please ship your product to:

Hobby Services
1610 Interstate Drive
Champaign IL 61822

with a brief letter describing the problem you have had and include your proof of purchase and a copy of your receipt from purchase. Our staff will inspect your product and will notify you regarding their findings. If it is found to be a warranty defect, the product will be repaired or replaced at our option at no cost to you. If it is not a failure covered under warranty, you will be notified of your options for return, repair or replacement. Thank you for your patience and, of course, your business.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:34 AM

I have an OS.40SF that started to peel after just 1 gallon of fuel. I use that same fuel in all of my engines and never had any of the others peel. I got this engine just before the FX engines came out but never used it till last year. I was going to buy another liner but I figured it would probably do the same thing. Can you help?
Old 08-24-2002, 12:42 AM

Jimbo,
That is definitely NOT normal for a 46SF. something must have been wrong, or it was run excessively rich in break in and never seated, or something. a new liner should solve it for you.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:37 AM

OK thanks.