Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 15 LA liner problems/ what to do?

Old 08-09-2002, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 15 LA liner problems/ what to do?

Here is the deal.

I recently scratch built a twin airplane. The motors I ordered were the 15 LA's. First off, one of the motors would not run due to the muffler nipple not being completely drilled out. I then had to clamp the fuel tube around the outlet of the needle assembly on the same motor because the fuel tubing would not seal on it and there were airbubbles in the line. After about 2 hours of run time I noticed one motor (the non-problematic one) was much more powerful than the other. I thought it was a fuel draw problem and checked the plumbing. I then checked for leaks in the motor, the carb and crankcase. Everything seemed fine.

I finally decided to pull the head. I found a poorly plated peeling liner on the weak motor. You can even see the brass through holes in the plating on the top of the sleeve. See the picture!

I now have a dilema. Did I void the warranty by taking the motor apart? What do I do from here? Since I bought both motors at the same time do I risk the chance of the other liner peeling? I heard that the plating process was improved. 15 LA's aren't all that popular and it might be a possibility that they were plated before the improvement.

Thanks. I was hoping to fly the plane at a fly-in tomorrow. A-well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20731_9036.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	13091  
Old 08-10-2002, 02:24 AM
My Feedback: (2)

The LAs have never had a plating problem. I suspect the engine went lean in the conditions you described due to its problems, in its break in time no less when the liner would just be seating, which lead to the peeling. please return the engine with a copy of this thread and our service forms from www.hobbyservices.com, and a copy of your receipts (all assuming you are in the US and purchased from a US dealer listed in our directory at www.futabarc.com) and we will consider it under the warranty.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:04 AM

Thank you.

The only time it would have run lean is when I tried to start it with the blocked muffler nipple. It would lean out and die.

The other motor runs great and I would be extremely happy if they both ran that well.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:20 AM

AMCROSS,
I do have a little question. I was sent a new engine and am very happy. I'm a little puzzled by what the invoice stated. It says that there were no defects in the motor. So does a non-drilled muffler nipple, a hard to seal plastic nipple on the backplate, and a leaky head gasket due to the top surface of the sleeve not warrant a defect? I've been flying for 11 years and have not seen such a lemon.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:28 AM
My Feedback: (2)

aq, not having seen the engine, i can't comment. typically, though, when the techs say 'no defect' they are talking about true internals -- piston, sleeve, etc....