Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

*OS 50 SX Break-in*

Old 12-04-2004, 09:09 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *OS 50 SX Break-in*

I'm running an OS 50 SX on the business end of a Magic Extra running a Zinger 12X4 prop and Byrons 15% Nitro fuel with 20% total oil. When I first fired it up, I ran it wide open for about a minute very rich (Needle valve open 2 turns) and then I would lean it out a bit entil the rpm's came up just a little and then back to rich, about 10 to 20 seconds each way. I did this for one tank of fuel. It still does not have a good transition from idle to full. I flew the plane a half dozen time running pretty rich and it has died just after left off two times, the last time it crashed. Am I not doing something right here are is it just not broke-in yet? I ran another tank of fuel through it wide open running pretty rich. it seems to idle fine, after running wide open it takes a few seconds to come to a slow idle. I need some help on this one. I just got it back together, I'd hate to go back to the field and have it die on left off again. Thank's for any help. []
Old 12-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: *OS 50 SX Break-in*

You know an engine's broken in when you can lean it to just rich of peak RPM and it will run out a tank of fuel with little change in the needle setting. You should be able to set a good idle and transition at this point. If the engine runs well on the bench, but not in the model, it's not the engine, but the engine/airframe/fuel system combination.

We'll run the engine about 20 minutes super-rich, and then gradually lean towards peak RPM with a rich-lean-rich-lean method, working leaner bit-by-bit. After 40-60 minutes of running, the engine should be ready to fly.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank's for the info.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:35 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you need to lean out the low end. It is set up a bit rich from the factory for break in. Once you do, transition will be much smoother.