Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Older 1.40RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:17 AM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older 1.40RX

A couple of years back there were a great deal of complaints regarding the 1.40 and rich mid range problem.
Now most people are saying that the later versions of that engine are performing a great deal better and OS solved the problem.
Can you tell me what have been the modifications to the later versions (liner port, carb or pump changes) and what is needed to bring an older engine up to today spec.
Cheers in advance.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Older 1.40RX

The main source of problems with the O.S. Max 1.40 RX was an improper exhaust system. The engine was intended to be run with a tuned pipe, and many people didn't put on the right size pipe, nor ran the enigne in the RPM range intended. Many people just tried to use "can" mufflers, which also didn't work correctly.

It was designed for F3A Pattern, and props such as APC 16 x 14 would be used, or any other prop that allowed the engine to run in the same RPM range.

Any complaints about the engine were concentrated in 1997, the first year the engine came out. Once people learned to get it set up correctly, there were few problems.