Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS Engines Storage

Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Engines Storage

Hi,

I'm about to store my OS FS 70 Ultimate and I have some questions. The last time I ran the engine I did not dry it. When I went home I placed some drops of Hobbico after run oil through the glow plug hole. Today I felt a bit guilty for not drying it and I decided to do so. Well the engine ignited for a while but it did not start, it seemed that there was no remaining fuel in the carb, the tank was completely empty. After that I placed some more after oil through the glow plug hole again and turned the prop 4-5 times.

Do you think think that I should run the engine again with fuel and dry it normally or will be ok if I leave it like that for some months?

Rgrds,

Nik
Old 01-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS Engines Storage

Running a four-stroke engine with the fuel line disconnected will cause the carb and intake to become dry of fuel. A few drops into the cylinder is OK, but it won't protect the engine. The lower-end of the engine got absolutely no benefit from the oil you added, and a few drops won't help down there.

You should inject about an ounce or so of oil into the crankcase breather hole. Even better would be to remove the rear cover and genrously flood the crankcase with oil.

For long-term storage you can use almost any kind of good-quality oil that won't dry up. Air tool oil, automatic transmission fluid, non-graphite gun oil, Marvel Mystery oil, and so on. Be generous. There's no such thing as "too much". Some people remove the carb, glow plug, and rear cover and toss the engine into a can of kerosene. You don't put in the carb because the kerosene will damage the rubber o-rings.

I've even used motor oil, but you'll have to flush out the engine with glow fuel to remove the residue before the first time you run the engine. Motor oil is a good long-term protectant. I've used it on engines stored for several years. After cleaning out the oil, the engines were clean and ran beautifully.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM

Would the injected fuel to the breather cause a problem to the pump?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Bax

If you remove the rear cover, it won't be a problem.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:03 PM

Just so I understand correctly.Is it harmful to use, for example, a syringe to inject after run oil into the crankcase breather tube? Is there any way to get enough oil into the crankcase with out removing the pump? Don't want any surprises this spring.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:02 PM

I placed some drops of after run oil to the air intake valve of the pump, I thought it was a breather because it was the only free silicon tube. According to the OS manual THIS IS NOT A BREATHER IT IS AN AIR INTAKE VALVE. In order to avoid any future problems with the pump, I reran the engine again and this after run oil was removed during operation. Afterwards I dried the engine and placed quite a few drops of after run oil through the glow plug hole once more as indicated in the manual. I think it is possible this oil to reach the cranksaft ball bearings.

I hope I will not have any problems with this engine as there is lack of spare parts at least in Europe.

Rgrds,

Nik
Old 01-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Bax

A syringe is fine.