Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

os .18 help

Old 04-17-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os .18 help

Hi i just bought a os .18 tm for my tmaxx and i ran the running in procedure's correctly and even during runing in witch i never went past 50% throttle my engine would run at 220 degrees.after i broke it in i took it out the next day and it was real hard to start. it was a 70 degrees f ,high humidy and every time i would try to start it with my easy start it would not stay started. When i let go of easystart button. I would have to hold button and give it gas and then pull easystart controller off while giving it steady gas,if i let go of gas within the first say 30 seconds it would die. I also just bought a duratrax clean fuel filter and installed that between tank and carb witch i dont know if it has to be on a certain way or not,but i read that that would cause the engine to run leaner so I kept riching it up and cant keep engine under 250 degrees with any amount of throttle my idle is around 220 degrees f, and soon as i run gradually goes up to 250 degree range even tried adjusting other needles and riching then no luck.brand new engine been run for 2 days now.Is this a normal temp for this engine it runs awesome when i finally get it started but I dont know what is too hot for engine. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: os .18 help

First off, we run an engine at high throttle during its first runs, but with a rich mixture. We drive up and down the parking lot, accelerating and then coming down. We pay absolutely no attention to temperature. We start out with the high-speed needle about 2-1/2 turns out and lean from there. On initial runs, we'll leave the glow plug battery on the engine to keep the plug lit at low throttle. We'll accelerate up the lot, slow down, turn around, and come back. We run at all throttle settings.

Over several tanks of fuel, we work the high-speed needle towards peak RPM. After a tank or two, the high-speed needle can be leaned enough that we don't need the battery on it, and we can get a reasonable set on the idle mixture and idle RPM. After that, it's drive some more.

You know the engine's set right when it can accelerate and hold RPM. It won't accelerate and drop. We usually run a bit rich of that point, where we can still get a good idle and acceleration.

We set the engine by sound and how it handles. If it's running right, the temperature will take care of itself. You only need temp for a reference once you have the engine running where it belongs. You cannot use temp to set your engine. It's not that reliable, and over-reliance on temps ruins a lot of model car engines.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 PM

I read this in your other post i am not Trina to tune my engine by temp I am mearly asking you what is too hot for my engine to run the os Manuel say not to run your engine hot but does not give any numbers what temp would be dangerous for my engine.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Bax

As long as your fuel's oil content is 18% or higher, and the engine's running rich of peak RPM, and you have adequate airflow through the cylinder head's fins, the engine should not overheat.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM

Well it did the engine stared smoking and was up to 300 degrees f but i fixed problem i took off the duratrax fuel filter and was running in the 220-230 range and was had great performance great engine till i fliped it and busted open my fuel tank. thanks for help though.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Bax

In your last post, the fact that the engine ran cooler once you removed the fuel filter from the system indicates that there was a restriction that caused the engine to go lean. That caused the overheating.

Bill Baxter, Manager
Hobby Services/Futaba Service
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1
Champaign, IL 61822
USA
Service Phone: 217 398-0007
Email: hobbyservices (at) hobbico.com