Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS engines and Top Flight header

Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS engines and Top Flight header

I have a question about the TF muffler and matching up OS engines, the muffler from TF used to be recomended for the 61to91 size engines there has now been a revision and its now only recomended for the 75 maximum displacement.
in the TF support forum there was a question as to weather the TF header would bolt up to the 75AX engine I couldn't find any bolt pattern measurements for the engine BAX do you have them available,having to drill larger holes in the header is a seemingly bad idea as the header is not what I would call the strongest and robust piece of metal as well as having threads cut into it to bolt up to the OS 61 and 91 exhaust ports.
secondly there has been much talk about the overheating issue in relation to the OS 91 being used with the exhaust system.
is it the rubber connector that is the problem or is it a volume issue,the pits style muffler seems to be smaller in size in comparison,as well as not fitting inside of the cowl as well as the TF version.
I was thinking that I would use a metal connector instead of the supplied one if the volume issue is not a factor and using JB weld to seal the connection its recomended to 600o.
I should add a club member uses his TF muffler with a super tiger 91 and it works well, but has a pipe inserted in the exhaust outlet to give more backpressure so he can run a bit richer hence cooler but also uses the rubber conector he says his wears out about every 2 years otherwise it works fine.
your thoughts
Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS engines and Top Flight header

The Top Flite In-Cowl muffler doesn't have enough volume to use with a .90-.91 size two stroke engine. It will fit the O.S. Max .61 SF or FX engines, The new O.S. Max .75 AX, or the SuperTigre .61 and .75 engines. There is a special header for the SuperTigre G-75. The recommendation to limit the muffler to .75-size engines was made in 1994, shortly after it came out, and is not a recent thing.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 AM
bigtim

so a poster in another thread fitted this muffler to his 75AX and said it fits,and his posts were deleted by BAX,I don't care why, I just want the actual information, but would you confirm this for the masses, I really don't want to spend the $ on the engine if the muffler won't fit for sure but from your answer it sounds like your making a guess rather than actually compairing parts.
acording to the website it bolts to the 61 mount and has the same foot print,so whats the scoop.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Bax

ORIGINAL: bigtim

so a poster in another thread fitted this muffler to his 75AX and said it fits,and his posts were deleted by BAX,I don't care why, I just want the actual information, but would you confirm this for the masses, I really don't want to spend the $ on the engine if the muffler won't fit for sure but from your answer it sounds like your making a guess rather than actually compairing parts.
acording to the website it bolts to the 61 mount and has the same foot print,so whats the scoop.
We managed to finally get the parts to to check, and edited our post. The fact that an engine fits the same mounts and has the same footprint as another doesn't mean the exhaust ports are the same. We checked, and they are.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 AM
bigtim

thanks for checking the fit, I am looking forward to using this engine it looks to have loads of power for 60 size planes.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM
GII
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a super tigre .75 and woul like to use the Top Flite In Cowl Muffler .61-.75 P-51D for my Mustang . Will the Top Flite Exhaust Header O.S. 61SF/61FX work?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Bax

It won't fit. Different mounting pattern.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM
GII
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know of a header that will work with the super tigre .75 and Top Flite In Cowl Muffler ?