Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FL-70 loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FL-70 loss of power

Hi Bax,

Hope you can help me out with this problem, as you've helped me many times in the past.

I have an FL-70 running on CoolPower with 15% nitro and turning a 13x6 APC grey prop. For some reason, I cannot get it to put out the power like it did just a month ago. I have it in an Excelleron 50 and just a month ago it had unlimited vertical, and take offs were short. This model has stock soft mounts which came loose slowly, robbing the power. I did not know the mounts were loosening, but I sure noticed that gradually the plane was struggling to get off the ground and vertical disappeared. When I finally discovered the loosening and softening soft mounts, I dumped the soft mounts and built hardwood rails on top of the existing rails to make the engine mount solid. Anyway, today, the plane was better but still struggled somewhat, and I put a friend's tach to it and found it running only 8600rpm max, which I backed down to about 8200 rpm for flying. It just hasn't got the pep it had originally (I did not tach it before today). I did check the glow plug, it was fine, but I changed anyway and got the same lackluster performance. I should mention that I logically (to me) tried to lean the engine more when power gradually decreased over time as the soft mounts loosened and softened. I also tried a 12.5x6 and 12x7 prop before going back to the 13x6 prop and hard mounts today. What can you suggest to reobtain that fantastic performance the engine had a month ago with short take off runs and unlimited vertical? Thanks Bax. Jon
Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FL-70 loss of power

Removed Post
Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your engine will need a teardown to see what its problem might be. Because you leaned it as the power went down, you very likely ran the engine too lean at one point and possibly got it too hot. This could cause a bad fit between the piston and cylinder liner. In either case, you've lost compression when the engine gets warmed-up and that means power. You'll either need a new ring or new valves.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
maukaonyx

Thanks for the quick response Bax. Could you ballpark me the cost of either job if I send the engine to you? Sounds expensive. I need to weigh that against just getting a replacement. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 AM
broke_n_bummin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax

Your engine will need a teardown to see what its problem might be. Because you leaned it as the power went down, you very likely ran the engine too lean at one point and possibly got it too hot. This would cause the ring to lose tension or a valve to warp. In either case, you've lost compression when the engine gets warmed-up and that means power. You'll either need a new ring or new valves.
An FL-70 doesn't have a ring. It has an ABC / ABN style cylinder and piston.Check your valves first, but running cool power and you got it hot, I would be more inclined to think you've scored the top of the cylinder, or the plating is peeling. I bought a used one a while back that had that problem, only he ran 30% heli fuel in it. All the plating was missing around the top 1/4 inch of the cylinder.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Bax

Cost can be up to 50% of the replacement value of the engine. If repairs cost too much, we usually offer a new one at a special price, but can't make such a determination until we see the engine.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 PM
maukaonyx

My son suggested that it might be worth pulling the valve cover off to see if the valves have proper gaps. Worth a try before replacing or sending the engine in for repair. Opened it up, and one rocker had a huge gap of more than 1/16th inch! We narrowed it down with a calibrated piece of paper (best we had :P). My guess is the vibrations allowed by the soft mount caused that rocker nut and set screw to loosen, leading to substantial power loss. I'm anxious to see if I get my original power and performance back this weekend!!! That would be great. Jon
Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Bax

Valve lash is set by using two feeler gauges, one 0.04 mm and one 0.10 mm. The thin one fits and the thick one doesn't. It's a "Go/No-Go" type setup.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:49 PM
maukaonyx

Our feeler gage was copy paper which my son said was 3/1000th of an inch thick or so. I got to fly the Excelleron 50 with the FL-70 on it today, with the valve lash reset per copy paper, haha. It ran like a champ, like it did originally. Take off run was short again, with lots of torque, and the plane had unlimited vertical again! Needless to say, I am real happy that the fix was this simple and that I did not actually overheat and ruin the engine. Whew, looking forward to flying it more tomorrow/Sunday. Jon