Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS LA.40 thru .65-Remove the color?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 07:56 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS LA.40 thru .65-Remove the color?

I am interested in knowing if the Blue color can be removed,and with what? It seems to scratch,or wear pretty easily,and looks bad after a while.
Also,I have an LA.40 that I took apart,and it didnt have any gaskets! Arent there supposed to be any? This is the first one I ever took apart ( kinda wanted to see how it all worked,and went together...curiosity,I guess )
Thanks alot,
Blair
Old 06-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OS LA.40 thru .65-Remove the color?

Blair,

We don 't have anything helpful about removing the color from yoru O.S. Max LA-series engine. Sorry.

Your engine most certainly has a cylinder head gasket. It's made of aluminum, and is the same color as the inside of the cylinder head. If you look carefully in the groove in the cylinder head where the liner inserts, you'll see it. If the gasket wasn't there, you'd see molding marks inside that groove. The gasket fits into the groove very closely, so VERY MANY people have been fooled into thinking that there was no gasket.

The .40 and .46 LA will also have a paper rear cover gasket. It may have adhered to the case when you removed the rear cover and then fell off. You can easily make a new one from baking-type parchement paper, or even a piece of notebook paper in a pinch.