Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

LA vs AX

Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
em14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LA vs AX

I'm just restarting my modeling and am learning to fly using the Club's Plane which uses a OS .40 LA engine. My Instructor is one of the finest people I have had the pleasure to get to know. The question that I have is whether to get a .46 LA or to spend a little more and get the .46 AX ... I am leaning toward the .46 LA ... then wait until I have more flying experience later ... the plane I have ordered is the Tower Trainer which is where this engine would reside ...
Thanks
Leo
Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: LA vs AX

Either engine is good. The LA-series of engines are well known for being user friendly and very reliable. Just make sure that the fuel you use contains a significant amount of castor oil in the oil mix. The AX-series of engines are higher-performance engines, but are also all very user-friendly. The LA engines have plain bearings, and the AX engines have ball bearings. For the price, you really cannot beat the O.S. Max .46 LA engine. It's easy to use and will last for many years when taken care of.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM
em14

Thank you for your reply ... I think that I will get the .46 LA and continue to learn to fly it until I feel I have enough experience to use the additional power in another plane!
Again Thanks
Leo
Old 06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 46LA is a perfect trainer engine. I has enough performance for a trainer, as well as many lightweight sport models. Even after you are flying solo, and are ready for another model, keep the trainer all together and ready to fly. Your "second plane" will likely suffer a lot of punishment as you build confidence and try new things. So, it could be out of commission for extended periods. Having your good reliable trainer ready to go means you will be able to keep flying while the other plane is being repaired.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
em14

Good Advice ...Thanks
Leo