Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS FS 110 MUFFLER

Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FS 110 MUFFLER

I CAN'T SEEM TO KEEP THE MUFFLER TIGHT ON THIS ENGINE. BOTH AT THE HEADER AND THE TWO PEACE MUFFLER BODY. I HAVE STRIPED THE TREADS ON THE LONG PHILIPS HEAD BOLT THAT GO'S THRU THE MUFFLER AND ROUNDED THE JAM NUTS ON THE HEADER. I EVEN BROCK OFF THE EXIT PIPE FOME THE MUFFLER BODY TRYING TO TIGHTEN THE JAMB NUTS. I HAVE USED PERMITEX SEALER ON THE HEADER WITHOUT SUCCESS, THIS IS THE NON PUMPED ENGINE. MY LAST FLIGHT ON THE ENGINE THE MUFFLER MOVED AND PULLED THE PRESURE HOSE OFF AND RAN THE ENGINE LEAN! HOPE I DIDN'T DAMAGE THE ENGINE? I HAVEN'T SEEN OTHER POST WITH THIS PROBLEM. MY OPINION IS THIS SYSTEM NEEDS SOME REINGINERING. I CAN'T BE THE ONLY GUY WITH THIS PROBLEM. IM SERCHING LOCALY FOR LAGER JAMB NUTS YOU CAN ACCTUALY GET A WENCH ON. IF YOU CAN OFFER ENEY HELP I WILL BE VERY HAPPY. P.S. THE ENGINE IT SELF IS GREAT, MUFFLER NOT SO MUCH !!!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS FS 110 MUFFLER

If the long bolt that holds the two muffler halves together is too tight, it will break. You don't need to tighten the nuts so far that they are rounding-off. Rounding-off usually means the wrong wrench size is used.

If the muffler is coming off the header, or the header's coming loose from the cylinder, then it's because the heavy muffler is allowed to move around too much. It does need to be secured. Also, the airframe needs to be checked to see if the engine is moving too much. Many modern ARF-type models are made very light, with a bit less structure than older models. That may allow the engine to move more, which will cause the muffler to come loose because it would be 'whipped' around.