Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

What book do you read last?

Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

What book do you read last?

Old 02-19-2021, 02:59 AM
sammyys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What book do you read last?

Let's discuss books you read. I just finished The Giver, by Lois Lowry, I rated 5/5 stars.This book surprised me, I didn't expect it to be that good! It makes you be grateful for the life we have, the world we're living in (although there are many things wrong with people who create war).
Old 02-20-2021, 11:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

If you like history, you might like Shattered Sword by Jonathan Parshall and John Lundstrom. It was written to tell the true story of the Battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective, something that has not been told outside of Japan. They used official Japanese military sources instead of Mitsuo Fuchida's self serving "Midway, the Battle That Doomed Japan", something many of the so called historians have done.
With that said, Gordon W Prange's "Miracle at Midway" and Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory" are both well written and, from the US Navy's point of view, are very accurate. Unfortunately, like almost every other author writing about the battle, their main source is Fuchida's book when it comes to the what, where, who and why of what the Japanese carrier force did. They also, unfairly, paint a picture of Vice Admiral Chuichi Nagumo as a sulking, defeated man after three of his carriers were hit at 10:30am by dive bombers from the Enterprise and Yorktown. This is far from the case, as those that survived the battle(and the war) were quick to point out when interviewed later. When I read Shattered Sword, I was surprised about how much of the history of the battle was, to put it bluntly, totally wrong. It also surprised me that someone trained in surface combat tactics was placed in command of an aircraft carrier striking force from before Pearl Harbor till relieved after the Guadalcanal campaign was lost. Admiral Nagumo spent WWII in command of units he was not trained to command and, unfortunately, ended his own life to prevent himself from being captured while commanding the naval defense forces of Saipan
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last book I read is called "Wombat" by Win Anderson. He's career Army with 5 tours in Afghanistan. The book is written in a fashion where he's talking to himself or alter ego. And it's during a deployment where my nephew was a member of his squad. I found it interesting and entertaining but I doubt everyone will. It takes a certain experience to enjoy some of the tales between those covers.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I doubt most would enjoy a book like that unless they are former military. Those that never served don't understand what it means or the hardships those that did had to deal with. The court scene from the movie "A Few Good Men" really sums it up when Tom Cruise's Lt Kaffee questioned Jack Nicholson's Colonel Jessup and the reply he received from the colonel:
Old 07-03-2021, 04:26 AM
Tommy09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last book I read was The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. Really good book but for a teenager. I recommended it to my son