Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

Professional R/C boat racing.

Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Professional R/C boat racing.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Professional R/C boat racing.

http://www.aprcra.org/index.php
What are your thoughts on this?
I'm staying neutral on this subject so far but would like to see your input.
Can it be good or bad for our hobby/sport?
If there was a race like this near you, would you think of entering one?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Professional R/C boat racing.

They are out in the middle of nowhere but as luck would have it just down the road. I may have to swing by and get the scoop.

I remember the question being raised on other forums and the concensus being that a professional driver is unable to compete in any IMPBA or NAMBA event (Amatures only).

I might have to see what they have to say though (and it might be someone new to run boats with around here )
Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM
jdoug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is cool to have a Pro RC league. But, I don't know why the age limit is 18. I could race Pro Motocross at the age of 16 but I couldn't drive an RC vehicle professionally until 18? That's the only part I don't like. Even though it doesn't effect me (I'm 30) I think the age limit is to high. I've never been to a national RC event before but I do know that by judging by the pics of some boat races that alot of the boaters are older people (20+). I still think the younger croud should be able to run with the big boys if their skill enables them.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a great chat with the president today. Fred Williams. Very nice guy. He advised that members of Namba and IMPBA no longer have issues with also competing in the pro circuit. Sounds a good operation. I think I will join. A lot more insurance than the other clubs and it gives coverage when not on race ponds too. He advised this years membership will be extended so you will likely get 16+ months from your first year. I did not get to ask about the age restriction though.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
xxxboatworks

JAW,
Fred Williams (that name sounds very familiar) isn't that the guy with a cat that ran over 100mph?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I got an offer to attend the race with a VIP pass and a place to crash for the night if I need it. I'm still considering going but not sure yet as I'd like to see how the event goes.
Has anyone from this site entered yet or thinking about it?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 AM
joseywales

Who's cares about what club puts on the races! Let's go out there and kick butts and take names!!! Hay R/C racing are suppose to be fun and meet new people that are in to boating cars,trucks,planes.