Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

Your best and worst RC experiences (formerly :- idiots annoy me)

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Your best and worst RC experiences (formerly :- idiots annoy me)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
nick 30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your best and worst RC experiences (formerly :- idiots annoy me)

down the lake today with my boys (havn'nt been in the best of moods this weekend)and my HOTR cat doing some dialing in and trying the 42mm prop (broke the tips, don't know if it will work properly now or need a new one) did'nt have enough room to turn so backed of the throttle and let it drift to the quay side at which point, this bloke says to me ' no reverse then, must be cheap and crap' i replied 'does'nt need a reverse, its pointless' so i explained its about £300+ worth of boat there for racing, he had his kids, i had mine with me, told him what he needed to know and then i walked away, i muttered under my breath and called him a f*****g idiot

its not how he said what he did but what he said, if he had just said 'what, no reverse' and left it at that, it would've been fine
Old 06-06-2010, 12:21 PM
diabolic-mind

Default RE: Your best and worst RC experiences (formerly :- idiots annoy me)

i know what you mean nick, ive had a few rc trucks that were made for racing and had people comment about how cheap they were because they didnt have reverse. despite my best efforts they could not grab the concept that a rc car made for drag racing didnt need reverse. some people just dont get the hobby, and luckily for us those idiots dont own cars or boats or even worse case scenario planes and helicopters! you just gotta shrug it off
Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 PM
nick 30

i usually do, but this has been an off weekend for me and he caught me at the wrong time

makes me laugh how he's the only one out of loads of people who have said that, usually its compliments and interest from people

i'll always be good at what i do where as he'll always be an idiot (like many others in the world)
Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 PM
diabolic-mind

also, it isnt related to boats but is related to idiots, here are the top 5 stupid questions people ask me when im flying my ultra micro planes

#5 how high can it go?
#4 have you ever crashed it?
#3 can i try it?
#2 how does it work?
#1 is that radio controlled? (im often tempted to answer with, no im using telekinesis to control it with my mind!)
Old 06-06-2010, 12:44 PM
nick 30

here's some answers for you

#5 - how high can you look and still see it
#4 - wheres your car parked
#3 - the shops down the road where there sold
#2 - with coal and steam
#1 - yeah, the transmitters in my pocket

got to have a giggle at the lack of intelligence of some people
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 PM
diabolic-mind

lmao, those are great answers nick. if i were a ***** i might actually say that to someone!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM
nick 30

well with that answer D, shows theres people who have self control, chances are if its said in a joking manner to people they won't get offended, most people ask me if its an electric or fueled boat so i say electric, still waiting for someone ask to me where the power lead is
Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
diabolic-mind

lol tell people it runs on wireless lead cords. there is such a thing as wireless lead cords but most people wont know that, especially an idiot! or you could always go the route of baffling them by saying that its hydrogen powered and it uses the lake or ponds water as fuel and it can run non stop until it burns up all the water in the lake! lol now that would be a good line to use on some poor unsuspecting idiot
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM
tanasit

I hate it the most when I was flying my helicopter and people who happen to pass by start asking questions.
Anyway, a few weeks ago I was runing my cat with new setup and at first no matter how I eased up on the throttle, the cat kept jumping off the water.
Then I heard,"He can't drive the boat", with laughters.
After about 10 jumps or so, my cat got into a groove and it sprint off at over 50 mph., thus quiet them instantly.

BTW, I did try programming a reverse to my esc on one of my boats and it almost sank runing backward.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
tnltyme

The classic, "Why do you always drive in a circle?  I would be doing figure 8s and going all over the place".  Alrighty then........
Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM
nick 30

i know exactly what you all mean, i had my boats on the water again today, it made me smile when the kids were saying ''cool boat, its really fast mr''

one little boy was crab fishing, he said to his mum ''i caught one mum and its pregnant'' i chuckled to myself and my day felt much better, thankyou for kids, they always say the right things at the right time
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can fish for crab? Wouldn't you call that crabbing? What the hell do I know, we don't have crabs in Michigan.
Those people know about as much about RC boats as I do about crabs.

I usually run into the usual line of questions of how fast is it, how far can it go away from you, how much does it cost and can I drive it? Sticker shoch sets in when I tell them how much I've got into them and the last one is answered with a nice "No". One kid that he drove his cousin's Radio Shack car once so he must have figured that made him an expert in RC boats.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 AM
nick 30

kids, got to love them have'nt we, you raise a good point there ron, why would it be called crab fishing and not crabbing, when i have my boys with me at the lake, they've seen it so much now that it's only when other kids ask about the boats and my boys enthusiasm comes out, its a great way for them to meet new friends, love it, i say to some of the kids if they want to buy one then they can come down at weekends to play on the water, then its the old ''dad, dad, that mr said if i buy a boat i can come down and play with it'' then a scowl from dad, ha haha ha, i don't mind the interest, its usually kids and older people that talk to me

thanks for all the great comments, might change the title to '' best and worstRC experiences''
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
apache 1

When I used to go to public park ponds it would be early in the morning before the crowds or too much wind picked up. As I'm running my boat, on the dock I see a rotweiler off his leash tearing through my gear bag and a 7 or 8 year old picking up my other boat and going for the pond. Time to bring in what I got out there and try and stop whats going on . Just then the father asks "doesn't it go any faster than that"? I said not right now and he asks " why is it out of gas already"? Meanwhile my tool bag is dumped with the dog rolling my igniter across the dock and his kid has my other boat in wondering why the radio doesn't work. Get every thing shut down and start packing things away when the guy asks if his kid can try it. I tell him its broken. He says what about that one, I just saw it running. I tell him 57in apache is kind of expensive and hard to control. He tells me I'm being kinda wierd about my toy boats and starts rambling on about his real boat with a 9.9 merc that you can at least sit in.
I don't go to the public parks much anymore
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Ron Olson

It's a shame that people like that are able to reproduce.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's one of the worst stories I've heard. I thought the people in Oakville were cool. [8D]

I usually answer all lthe common questions. The only one that bugs me is, Can I try it? Obvilously Not!

Ryan
Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
apache 1

That was in Toronto. I guess I have to offset that with a good story.
I supose any day you scream around the pylons with some good competition is a good day. But recently I went to the pond with my recently built os46 shockwave that is in the break in phase and a 48" challenger with a bonzi mod engine that I just got. The shockwave ran first and went really well, ran a couple tanks with no issues except for the loose nut behind the wheel. Its pretty fast, my hand actually starts to shake. Then it was challengers' turn. Started 2nd pull and ran fantastic. Was only there for a couple hours, but the dinghy stayed in the truck and I never even got my feet wet. Nice to go home from the pond proud of your boat work as aposed to frustrated with your failures.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Ron Olson

Oh yeah, we can post about best days.
There would be lots of them to me. I've gone to boat races without anything and have had a blast. Several years ago I drove to Celina, OH just to watch and hang out with friends. Last year I spent 3 days in Hobart, IN and again no toys in tow. Sometimes it's just being able to hang out with your kind and watch or bench race. Sure, it's more fun if you are racing but for anyone whose gone to any kind of RC boating event, it's more the people to me than it is just going to race.
I'm heading out ot Hobart next Thursday morning for 4 days but racing this year. I've only got one boat entered but my son is entered in 2 classes. I'm starting to find more enjoyment in building and tuning then letting someone drive. Yeah, I'm lying, kind of! I still enjoy the racing but just don't drive as much as I used to but now I have to justify buying the new toy trailer to the wife by starting to hit the races again.
The excitement is really coming back now. Saturday, I'm meeting up with a new member of this site to help him with putting a Aeromarine Sprint Cat together then Sunday making a 50+ mile drive to help yet another boater getting his new gas sport hydro wet for the first time. These are the best experiences for me.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Scott Schneider

My worst experience ....

Had this older 50 something year old man who claimed he had fooled around with things RC for years, was looking to get into RC boats and at the time we were all doing nitro stuff. Next came do you have any boats your willing to sell? and cheep .... Sure I said having what was actually a great boat/ engine combo with very little use, tho not race worthy. ( An Aeromarine 40" offshore mono and CMB .45 gold head )
Sold it to him as a RTR minus radio for @ $450 or so ...
Was not 2 months later friends in the club were telling me this guy was bad mouthing me on how i ripped him off selling him a non competitive boat and being worn out etc etc.

Ungrateful SOB !! .... wants boat on the cheap, makes mistakes learning *** he is doing and I get the wrath of being accused of being a sleaze ball rip off artist praying on newbie's.

Needless to say, VERY seldom will I sell my used gear now. Will strip gear off it and reuse what I can ... hull go's threw the band saw and into the garbage or burn pile.

F'ing A holes are those wanting good scotch on a beer budget !!

Best experience .....
Giving a complete RTR boat to a teenager who's parents could not afford too and have others and myself help him run it at racing events. Priceless
Old 09-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure I have any one particular bad experience
I have to say that most of my bad experiences tend to revolve around transactions. I too donated a hull to a guy in Utah. I paid to ship it as I knew he was young and building on a budget. Shipped a hand full of accessories to help him along. He e-mailed me back with thanks. 3 months later I see the boat (as shipped) listed on e-bay with the accessories I sent along. He sold it for $135. I e-mailed him asking why but no response. Certainly soured my generosity in donating to those starting out.

Another guy who I met through RCU came by my house and I sold him a motor and gave him a few other parts. It was an older zenoah and it needed a part or two so I gave him a second running zenoah for him to take the needed parts off though asked him to return it. He was also was to pay me for the motor (believe it was $60) That was 3 years ago. In all honesty - I no longer want the money or the motor - If it means I never have to see him again it was probably worth it.

I have had plenty of other bad transactions where I have paid for something and never received it. Or dealer or hobby shops who have kept me waiting 6 and 7 months for parts. It happens.

I have met a couple of guys who are downright antisocial (99% of them being at races) who for some reason think it a waste to be social. I am not there to race - just have a good time and take a look around - (I am carrying a big camera - I am taking pictures of their boats in action - you would think they might appreciate that!!).

I have had a few people give me the idiot lecture - where they talk to me like I have never seen an RC boat in my life. I ask what they are running for a motor - and am told "it is called a Zenoah - sort of a weedwacker kind of motor". I nod my head and listen intently - laughing a little on the inside.

As for positive experiences - It is all good really - you take the good with the bad. But any time I am by the water and there is a boat near by it is a good day!! It is certainly the people in this great hobby that make it great.

As a rule - I am as polite as possible any time I am running a boat. If there is a canoe or kayak in the distance headed for shore I bring the boat in and give them plenty of room. I hold the canoe while they off load. I have helped several to lift the canoe onto their car. Thing is - you just never know who your dealing with. The lady in the canoe may be the mayors wife, or with the parks service. They may have a say in what I can do and where I can do it. I treat them as I would want someone to treat my mother or father - it is just part of being a good citizen - because we all are ambassadors of this hobby.

Interesting positive experience here also. I was contacted by a guy a few years ago who was asking where I ran in RI. I wrote him back and forth a few times with directions and tips etc. He never did make it to the pond but any way. So 4 years later I am visiting a new potential large customer. I am able to get 5 minutes with the president of the company and it is a huge opportunity. I see he has a large wooden model on his bookshelf. I ask if it is RC to which we start off on a discussion on his RC boats. Next thing you know he is searching through his computer showing me pics of his boats and RC trucks. Then he is looking at pics of my RC boats on my pic site. My 5 minute meeting went almost 1 1/2 hours. My boss was surprised to see the customers business card with his home and personal cell numbers also written on there. When e-mailing him later with some links I realize it is the same guy I had been helping 4 years ago. So you just never know who you are dealing with!!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Ron Olson

I remember that first story. A lot of people sent him a slew of parts, hulls and just about anything that he'd need to build more than one boat. Donors thought that the kid was around 15 when in fact he was much older. I'm thinking 19 when they found what they donated on eBay. That soured those people from giving away things on that site.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 AM
apache 1

Great story. Did he ever make it out boating with you? Did you get to do buisness with his company?
Hope everyone reads this, especially the younger boaters. They might do well to read it twice.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Indeed there have been a couple of guys who are on dire times and "need donations". I always am very skeptical now days.

The customer was evolving when I left the company I was with. I have not yet run boats with him as he had turned his energy to gas trucks. We were trying to meet up for a truck photo shoot - not yet though. Interestingly he now lives a few miles down the road (and I live in the middle of nowhere).
Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

First question... How much does it cost?
When answering, I'll usually lowball the answer to a rediculous amount of say $300 for a $1k boat as they would never understand. Kind of like me playing golf with a $150 Dunlop set I bought from Walmart 25 years ago and the other guys baggin $1500- for their set. (I don't understand either).

Mine also drive around transactions. This one situation really burned me good. I became buddies with a guy in Greece that used to post on here quite often after somehow it seemed like I was one of the few that would show him any attention so we hit it off. He works for a telephone company & could call me for free so we talked numerous times. My advice is always the basics and not too technical.

Long story, he was interested in a cat I had for sale. I told him numerous times that I wasn't interested in selling outside of Germany, the boat had damage etc. He insisted.
I made it point blank clear that he would have to arrange his own shipping from one of three agencies... DHL, Hermes or UPS. I wasn't going to do the leg work for something I didn't want to send there any how. Ended up using DHL.

Immediately after the money cleared, I shipped and supplied a tracking number. Two weeks later, the boat was sitting at customs (or hung up somewhere along the route) and trackign was no long applicable. This AZZhat has the nerve to start pinging on me that I ripped him off and didn't ship the boat as stated etc. Huh? I told him that my hands were clear and just to be cool that sometimes it can take a little longer than expected. Finally, the boat arrives and he lets me know how unhappy he is with the transaction due to the damage, my overcharging for shipping and a whole laundry list of other things he was unsatisfied with.

My point is that I made it clear from the word go. Numerous pictures detailing every little scratch, hatch, ding or crack. I make it a point to repeat myself more than once & have the information repeated back to me when in doubt. He did all that, yet I got the blame & waisted how much time on this guy.

Other than the food, I could care less about doing business in Greece ever again. Call it small minded, I call it being burned.

Oh, one more....
Ebay. I sold a prop that was stated clearly as used and in good shape with no work done other than sharp N balance. This guy buys the prop & tells me its not as advertised & wants his money back or else...
Sure, so being the good seller, I ask for my prop back & once it arrives I'll send the money. We get into a fight over this. Eventually I got my prop back & send his money. He then turns around and asks for the shipping fees? Hell no I'm not refunding that.

In the end, the guy thought I'm a library & he could try my prop & return when he liked.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I got into a situation with a guy a while back as well. Was at a race when this guy walked up and asked about a boat. After getting the okay to let him look, I took him through the boat's basics and answered his questions. About this time, the owner had to get his boat ready to run in the next heat so I told the guy, for his safety, he had to step back a bit. The guy went off on me about how these cheap plastic boats werent dangerous and that there was no reason to have him back away. The owner and I looked at each other and smiled as the owner picked up a bone from a chicken leg and put it in to the arc of the now spinning prop. The owner, still smiling, then asked if the guy wanted to try it with his own finger instead of a chicken bone. The guy's skin turned white as he slowly backed away screaming that we were both crazy before turning and running to his car to leave. We both laughed as the owner topped off the fuel tank and checked the boat over while he explained he normally kept a chicken bone in his tool box for just that reason, though he had only used it once before. Needless to say, this is a new addition to what I will carry in my tool box as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.