RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-boats-471/)
-   -   balsa wood boats from scratch (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-boats-471/10236476-balsa-wood-boats-scratch.html)

retirementhobby 01-03-2011 11:06 AM

balsa wood boats from scratch

Hello, I just joined RCUniverse. I'm not into "RC," however I hope to get some insight into this new hobby I'm starting. I know very little about balsa, other than is simple to work with. I've done some research and am building a "source" file for boat building.

I recently purchased a model boat plan, "CARVELLE MANOR" and hope to makethis my first project. As a youth I built plastic model cars and had quite acollection. Now I would like to build and display model boats.

If I may, I have some questions. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive "light table" to use fortransfereing plan imagestemplate images? Any suggtestions on the best type of paper to use for the template.

As I'm 64, disabled and on a limited income, I would like some direction from experienced builders to keep this enjoyable without breaking the bank.

I look forward to exchanges with you fellow boat builders.

retirementhobby

Apismelifera 01-25-2011 08:32 AM

RE: balsa wood boats from scratch

1 Attachment(s)
Light Box. I've never seen a commercial unit I liked. Why don't you make your own? I used 1" X 6" pine for the sides, some small rectangular trim to make a ledge and a piece of 1/4" plywood for the bottom. Something like this drawing. You can build it any size you want. I used 1/4" Plate Glass for the working surface, easier to keep clean, and it doesn't easily scratch. I got all my solid wood for at a low price from the scrap box at the local lumber store and a small leftover piece of plywood from a previous project. Went to a local glass shop for the glass. Had them cut it to size, sand the edges, and frost the back. Paint the inside white put in some tubular fluorescent lights and your done.

retirementhobby 01-25-2011 07:25 PM

Thank you for this information, I had considered this option, but when I figured the costs, it was about the same as buying one. WHAT I didn't consider was going to the lumber store and buying scrap pieces, EXCELLENT idea.

Thanks again
Tom

Tidnab 01-25-2011 07:44 PM

Have you considered using carbon paper to transfer your plans to a thicker material to make templates.I use large sheets of carbon paper I got from a print shop and place it onto poster board,place the carbon paper over that and the plan on top of the carbon paper.I tape or use tacks to hold it in place and trace over the plans. I do that with plans and also when I buy a kit,I take each part and trace around it onto the poster board to make templates of the parts in case I need to repair a hull or to make another one without buying another kit.

retirementhobby 01-26-2011 08:22 AM

At this point I've purchased "tracing paper" and that works ok. Thanks for the information though.

Zanek 05-23-2011 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: retirementhobby

Hello, I just joined RCUniverse. I'm not into "RC," however I hope to get some insight into this new hobby I'm starting. I know very little about balsa, other than is simple to work with. I've done some research and am building a "source" file for boat building.

I recently purchased a model boat plan, "CARVELLE MANOR" and hope to makethis my first project. As a youth I built plastic model cars and had quite acollection. Now I would like to build and display model boats.

If I may, I have some questions. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive "light table" to use fortransfereing plan imagestemplate images? Any suggtestions on the best type of paper to use for the template.

As I'm 64, disabled and on a limited income, I would like some direction from experienced builders to keep this enjoyable without breaking the bank.

I look forward to exchanges with you fellow boat builders.

retirementhobby
I am not at all experienced, but I have been having fun building this balsa boat. I hope to one day make it RC
http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/...t=RK000018.jpg
<br type="_moz" />

retirementhobby 05-24-2011 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zanek, looks good. Like me your into having fun building. I've built 5 model boats now, 2 from plans and 3 of my own design. I'm designing and building my own power options (outboards, stern drives and inboard. I also have gotten into detailing the guages, steering wheel, and accessories you would find on the bridge.

Tom

Zanek 05-25-2011 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: retirementhobby

Zanek, looks good. Like me your into having fun building. I've built 5 model boats now, 2 from plans and 3 of my own design. I'm designing and building my own power options (outboards, stern drives and inboard. I also have gotten into detailing the guages, steering wheel, and accessories you would find on the bridge.

Tom

Looks good. I can't wait to see it run when it is finished
<br type="_moz" />