Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

What cars have you owned?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What cars have you owned?

Some neat posts here.

Cars I've had;

1) 1982 SR5 Toyota Pickup, 360,000 miles, sold in 1994.
2) 1978 BMW 530I got rid of in 1992, toughest car I've ever had the displeasure of working on.
3) 1965 Ford Mustang GT, 289 original block rebuilt, bored .040 over, mild rv cam, High rise, 600 CFM Holly, headers, dual exaust. I still have, I love this car.
4) 1992 Saturn SL2, 262,000 miles, sold in 2006.
5) 1994 Jeep Wrangler, traded for a newer one in 2000, had 180,000 miles.
6) 2000 Jeep Wrangler, just rebuilt the engine at 148,000, head warped.. Still own.
7) 2006 Toyota Corolla, 90,000, still running strong. Still own.
8) 2007 Volkswagon EOS 2.0 Turbo Hardtop convertable Still own.

Favorite antiques I own, (since people mentioned them!);
1) 1931 Philco model 90 cathedral radio, I restored to working order 10 years ago, runs great, (tube radio).
2) Two Sessions mantel clocks (Dulciana, and Westminster chimes) Both have been restored by me and run great.

Steve
Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
The_Shark

i hearing about some nice cars! im sure most of you guys went to high school mid 70's early 80's because some of those are big bucks today.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80

ORIGINAL: proanti1

foreign cars = way better than domestic cars. This is not true for all makes and all models but it is for most of them. The cars just handle and drive way better overall.
Unless you are talking about Kia, or other really crappy Korean cars, 'foreign' cars are made in the US. Toyota, Honda... Yep, all American. Most are even designed over here to compete with the 'domestics', with VERY little in common to their over seas counterparts. I use to work for Toyota, 2% of the Tundra was actually Japanese... and that 2% was just random generic parts.

I understand and know this information. However, they are still foreign companies. Notice I did not name specifics, I was absolutely being vague for good reason - i have not driven every american (company) car and every foreign (company) car.
Generalizing, or saying that a specific type of car is better than another isn't really possible in a 'vague' sort of way.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM
The_Shark

foreign cars = way better than domestic cars. This is not true for all makes and all models but it is for most of them. The cars just handle and drive way better overall.
Unless you are talking about Kia, or other really crappy Korean cars, 'foreign' cars are made in the US. Toyota, Honda... Yep, all American. Most are even designed over here to compete with the 'domestics', with VERY little in common to their over seas counterparts. I use to work for Toyota, 2% of the Tundra was actually Japanese... and that 2% was just random generic parts.

I understand and know this information. However, they are still foreign companies. Notice I did not name specifics, I was absolutely being vague for good reason - i have not driven every american (company) car and every foreign (company) car.
Generalizing, or saying that a specific type of car is better than another isn't really possible in a 'vague' sort of way.
like i said before SHHHHHHHHH!!![:@][]
Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
grabbermav1970
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually graduated in 1992. i got my maverick in 2000 and the cyclone last year. the supra i bought earlier this year after i worked in iraq.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 AM
DaveG55

Why do you want to slam Kia and other Korean cars? From your list you have no personal experience with one. I do. My wife puts 30k miles a year on her '04 Amanti and it has over 180k on it now. Outside of normal maintaince I have put $0.00 into that car and it runs strong and extremely reliably to this day. Much better in fact than the Cadalic we traded in for the Amanti!
Also, my daughter owns a '07 Sorento and it too has preformed flawlessly even though she may be the worlds worst at regular maintaince.
I also have two close friends with Korean cars (a Kia & a Hyundai) and theirs have been reliable as well.

I've had many different brands of cars over the years and have found that you cannot use ANY broad statement, good or bad, that holds true for any particular brand.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Why do you want to slam Kia and other Korean cars? From your list you have no personal experience with one. I do. My wife puts 30k miles a year on her '04 Amanti and it has over 180k on it now. Outside of normal maintaince I have put $0.00 into that car and it runs strong and extremely reliably to this day. Much better in fact than the Cadalic we traded in for the Amanti!
Also, my daughter owns a '07 Sorento and it too has preformed flawlessly even though she may be the worlds worst at regular maintaince.
I also have two close friends with Korean cars (a Kia & a Hyundai) and theirs have been reliable as well.

I've had many different brands of cars over the years and have found that you cannot use ANY broad statement, good or bad, that holds true for any particular brand.
Really? I have not owned either, but I certainly have had experience with both. My girlfriend has a Kia Sophia, its a complete pile of crap. We have probably dumped $2000 into the engine alone. The only reason its still around is because she thinks its 'cute'. My mom has a Hyundai Accent, it is literally the crappiest car I have ever driven... and I used to work in a junk yard. Its on its second transmission, soon to be 3rd.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM
grabbermav1970

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Really? I have not owned either, but I certainly have had experience with both. My girlfriend has a Kia Sophia, its a complete pile of crap. We have probably dumped $2000 into the engine alone. The only reason its still around is because she thinks its 'cute'. My mom has a Hyundai Accent, it is literally the crappiest car I have ever driven... and I used to work in a junk yard. Its on its second transmission, soon to be 3rd.
as a professional auto technician, i have to say there are some cars i dread to work on due to engineers have no clue on how to work on the cars they design. most of the cars, foreign or domestic, are better built than they were 20 plus years ago but as with ANY vehicle, maintenance is the key to keep a car in top working order. i own a kia spectra and it's a nice built car. my niece owned a kia sephia and that car gave her no problems at all, in fact she was mad that she gave it away. point is if the car is not well taken care of, all services done at regular intervals, the part and other items related will fail. granted there are some that should have never been built but there is no point bashing a car just because it was built in korea or any other country. in fact hyundai sonata is built in alabama and kia share most of its parts with hyundai. you can spend well over $100k for a car and if you fail to maintain it, it will break. seen it happen too many times when owners buy a car they can't afford to fix it due to cost of parts. a great example of failed designs and sales due to bad management, look at pontiac and oldsmobile. two good companies gone.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM
The_Shark

lets be careful on this foreign/domestic battle, it kills threads, and it is and always will be an on-going war.
lets keep that section of the thread quiet.

it seems everyone has had a supra, my pop's just got one, a 87-turbo, low miles, i warned him to avoid it because of the low miles (48k) and that things are going to start breaking, sure enough, it needs a head gasket[:@]
they are decent cars and have alot of body to them (heavy) and are not typical rattle boxes you see kids drive.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM
grabbermav1970

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

lets be careful on this foreign/domestic battle, it kills threads, and it is and always will be an on-going war.

it seems everyone has had a supra, my pop's just got one, a 87-turbo, low miles, i warned him to avoid it because of the low miles (48k) and that things are going to start breaking, sure enough, it needs a head gasket[:@]
they are decent cars and have alot of body to them (heavy) and are not typical rattle boxes you see kids drive.
very true about the head gasket...toyota's fatal flaw. torque it to 72 ft lbs and you are good for a long time. as a auto tech, i don't really care about the foreign/domestic squabble, they all break and need fixing, that's how i make my living regardless of the make, model, year or whatever. i do have my favorites but if that is all i worked on, i would lose out on all the vast knowledge of the different cars out there.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: grabbermav1970

very true about the head gasket...toyota's fatal flaw. torque it to 72 ft lbs and you are good for a long time. as a auto tech, i don't really care about the foreign/domestic squabble, they all break and need fixing, that's how i make my living regardless of the make, model, year or whatever. i do have my favorites but if that is all i worked on, i would lose out on all the vast knowledge of the different cars out there.
i was a little freaked out when a mazda-3 came in with a shot compressor clutch, and the basic compressor with a basic (but slightly smaller) pulley and clutch cost almost $600 at the dealer for JUST THE CLUTCH AND COIL!!!! i mean isnt there a law against this kind of robbery?

if anything is unique to a car (or anything in that matter) you pay out the ears for it.

i like to work on cars get paid for it and see them come off of tow trucks to the shop, but then i think to myself "this really sucks if your on the other end!"
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Flip cars not included; in general order of acquisition but not departure from the fleet
1977 Jeep CJ-5
1986 Ford Thunderbird
1977 Mustang Cobra II
1966 Buick Special sedan
1986 Ford Thunderbird
1982 Jeep CJ-7
1988 Chevrolet Corsica
1983 Honda Accord
1987 Pontiac Sunbird
1989 Chevrolet Corsica
1987 Ford Thunderbird
1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass
1989 Isuzu Trooper
1991 Mitsubishi Montero
1990 Isuzu Trooper
1988 Ford Thunderbird
1998 Ford Exploder
2001 Ford Exploder
2002 Jeep Liberty
1996 Pontiac Grand Prix
1989 Dodge Dakota
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix
There are others being forgotten somewhere.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
The_Shark

well that answered my question if TBJ actually has owned thunder birds.
you just down to the liberty now?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM
grabbermav1970

ORIGINAL: grabbermav1970

i was a little freaked out when a mazda-3 came in with a shot compressor clutch, and the basic compressor with a basic (but slightly smaller) pulley and clutch cost almost $600 at the dealer for JUST THE CLUTCH AND COIL!!!! i mean isnt there a law against this kind of robbery?

if anything is unique to a car (or anything in that matter) you pay out the ears for it.

i like to work on cars get paid for it and see them come off of tow trucks to the shop, but then i think to myself ''this really sucks if your on the other end!''
that's how the dealership make money. they mark up parts 100 to 200% in order to cover operating cost. i should know, i work at a dealership and i get parts at cost plus 10% but if you check around, that's the normal for every shop, dealer or whatever. if they can't make money off labor, they get it off parts, but there are some that just rob just because but i'm not getting into that......[X(]
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

well that answered my question if TBJ actually has owned thunder birds.
you just down to the liberty now?
For the time being, yes.

Would like to build another T-bird, but it's not in the financial cards at the moment

Hopefully pick up a snazzy low mileage Crown Vic sometime this spring...86-91...got a nice 306 shortblock sitting in grampa's shed that's been there for about 6 or 7 years that WAS going to go into the last T-bird...but it would make a nice motivator for a big cushy two-decade-old Vic[8D]
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Oh, there are a 1991, 1993, and 1995 Jeep Cherokee that are missing from the list, too.

There is a reason ThunderbirdJunkie hates XJs[&:]
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
The_Shark

ever think about building a mark-7?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
grabbermav1970

ever think about building a mark-7?eric
i was looking for one of those to rob the rear disc brakes and put on my maverick. 1984-89 lincoln mark 7's rear brakes work on 8" and 9" ford rearends with no mods.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Yes...but it's tough to find a nice one around here. Definitely have been looking...plus the fact that it's a Fox body and extremely similar to a T-bird would mean it's going to consume just as much suspension money from Maximum Motorsports as the last T-bird[&:]

If ThunderbirdJunkie has something large and incapable of going fast around corners no matter what, that will make him not try to make it go fast around corners.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 AM
J.D.T

ever think about building a mark-7?
My buddy did a little to his 92, home ported GTP explorer heads, E 303 motorsport cam and rockers, Hartman power box, 70mm MAF sensor, 75 tb and 24 lb injectors, shorty equal length 1 5/8 headers, off road x and flowmasters, underdrives, superchip, cold air intake and 3.55s, 2400 stall, it would run a 12.20 with the air on. It was mainly stuff left over from when his 331 FI mutang blew up (300 shot LOL) so he build a carbed 393 windsor with all the good stuff. Ended up getting twice what he paid for the car so the parts were just a wash pretty much.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
mechanizeddeath

Hmm, I'll play.

1985 Ford LTD Crown Victoria: First car, was a joint project between my sister and I. We pooled our resources and bought ourselves a car. Sharing proved difficult however, with my sister being a social butterfly and me not getting to drive it, ever.

1986 Dodge 600: Not really my car, but worthy of mention as I did drive it sometimes and it was my sister's car which freed up the Vic for my use.

1992 Mercury Sable LS: Worst mistake ever. I was set on buying a 5.0 Mustang, but insurance said no. The dealer was a pretty cool guy though, and told me I could have anything on the back (bargain) used lot for the price of the Mustang. I saw a loaded Sable for almost twice as much, and he said yes. I thought I got a great deal, but with all the problems I had with it, it really wasn't.

1995 Subaru Legacy Outback: Best car ever. Drove for over 150k on top of the 100k already on it when I bought it. Unstoppable. Kind of slow and noisy but it got the job done, especially if the job was driving through snow. Cons: not easy to impress the ladies in the little station wagon. [&:]

1999 Toyota Camry: I hated this car. So boring, so methodical, like mainstream rock and pop music on four wheels. Destroyed the engine by running it out of oil like an idiot. I just didn't care enough to check it every week, my fault.

1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT: Wonderful car, and a generational twin to my favorite, the Outback. Unfortunately it had a few run-ins with deer and large trucks. I sold the smashed up, overheating, but still running car to a guy a couple days ago. Miss it already.

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera: The final year for the Ciera and the A-body platform, I got this car from a friend and it has grown on me. It won't win any awards, but it is unique in its own way. Also comfortable on the highway.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
moe7404

first car i owned : 1949 plymouth 230 ci 6 cyl in 1965. now i have a dakota 230 ci 6 cyl. the more things change the more they stay the same the funest car was a 1963 chrysler 300 J, it had a 500 ci big block, with stage 3 heads ,intake, carbs, 3000 stall converter. 2.73 rear gear , it came out of 2nd gear at 125 mph. never could find enough room to open it up
Old 11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

You had a Caddy motor in your Chrysler?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

You had a Caddy motor in your Chrysler?
Not 100% on this, but wasn't the alumablock caddy motor made by Chrysler? A special bell housing was needed because the bolt pattern was different.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 AM
rcslsafut

here,s my list;
'70 buick skylark
'73 vw bug
'74 vw bug (crank open moon roof , webber progresive ,1600 dual port, recaro's and enkie wheels ) man that was a fun car!!
'70 swb 4x4 chevy pickup (that one was one of my favs)
'84 buick skylark
'89 chevy celebrity
'73 lwb 4x4 ford f100 (4" lift)
'82 deisel (6.2) blazer(4"lift)
'86 gmc jimmy (4" lift)
'94 s 10
'06 trailblazer ls
ya i like em lifted !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.