Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

A Difficult Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: A Difficult Decision

Not every 16 year old is irresponsible:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihf0Fo97g18[/youtube]
Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Mambamonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 100% agree with shark, not to be a jerk, but thats just snobby to say anything under 07 is a old car. I am about to buy a 2002 Ford Taurus and thats a new car for me. Right now I drive a 95 Olds. Im totally there with ya shark. After my dad left my mom, its been a tight struggle making ends meet. I have to work double as hard as I did before to get what I would have been given if my dad had not left. Heres the thing you have to think about. Do you want them to be threatening grounding your car everytime you do something wrong? When I had my explorer I wasnt the title owner, I was always threaten the risk of getting it taken away. Heres my advice, better to have a pos thats 100 percent yours instead of having a Mercedes Benz 100 percent owned and bought by your parents that you get to drive around with just to brag about at highschool. I know highschoolers compete for high status, whose got the hummer whose got the corvette, but in the end, a car is a car, and whether or not its yours, if you truly wanna be independent and responsible someday for yourself, then ask your parents to back off and let you get any make or year you want to get. Thats my opinion.
ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Jgaff2

Still, Shark has a point. Since you don't have any money or a job it will be very hard(and frankly, impossible) to pay for insurance, gas, etc. and even to buy the car if your parents aren't helping you out. But anyway, if anything, I would have to recommend you the ram 1500. My dad has one and it has the hemi in it. It does pretty good on mpg toobecuase it has cylinder reduction.
guess what? its not easy, but its do-able, in highschool i had to work FOR the car, because coming from a proverty stricken family, if i couldnt pay for gas, i couldnt drive.

i go to school full time, and to work 30hours a week.

oh and tell your parents they have issues, anything newer than 02 is a "new" car in my book, phhht, i find it so trivial to worry about status.

if after all this you and your parents are bent on a 07 or newer car (for reasons unknown) i would suggest a Volvo C-30 it is a two door hatch back, AWD 5Cyl Turbo with 5 stars across the board in saftey. fun, zippy, cool looking and insurance should be cheap.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is (maybe I'm out of touch with colleges/academies) will you need a car when in the Academy? It could turn out to be a big drag on you if you have to keep looking out after the car and not have time to do your studies.

What I would do is shock your parents!! Tell them "Mom, Dad, it's your money, you pick the car." And then watch the look on their faces.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But that's what they do!! 16 yrs old, you act irresponsiblly!!

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Honestly buying a brand new Mustang or Camaro for a 16 year old, even the V6 version is a very irresponsible decision for a 16 year old.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
warbird addict

I agree with you to a point but all that safety stuff does not have the ability to prevent the youngster from getting in well over his head with a vehicle thats capable of 140/ 150 mph and pulls a 0 to 60 in what like 4 or 5 seconds it's probably less than that and truth be known the new 6 bangers are pumping out more ponies than short block 350's were even 10 years ago.
The new 6 banger sports cars that are out now just Plain ***** N Git and in my opinion it would have to be a pretty meek and mild mannered 16 year old NOT to get bit with a bad case of superman syndrome and get themselves into a bad dose of "OH *****" what do i do now i'm gonna crash BAD and don't know what to do next LOL
Ya know I joke about it, but speak out when I can as I feel as though I bear some of the responsibility for what happened to just such a priviledged youngster
Knowing how I was at that age I am thankful that I didn't have affluent parents growing up or I most likely would not be here I can't even imagine me at 16 equipped with a new model year sports car pushing 300hp I would've been dead or crippled in a month, at that age, knowing it all with all that testosterone pumping even being broke as hell man I wasn't about to let anybody show me up now add affluent parents willing to give anything I wanted to the mix, no matter how many times I run that scenario thru my head it never ends well.
I think the youngsters question would be better asked at the local ambulance service or police station or hospital ER and let them quote him and his dad a few statistics
affluence,attitude,immaturity,horsepower and teenaged testosterone are 5 things that should never be mixed in any combination and more often than not do not end well
Ask yourself the question would you turn your 16 year old son loose with "your" brand new 300 hp Mustang/Camaro LOL ,if not then why would you buy him one his his own

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I don't disagree w/ the post above, however, I think a hyper bike and a $17k car is very different.. most people are more prepared to drive a $17k car, even if it has 300hps, than a 100rwhp 600 c.c. sport bike..

Also, with cars nowadays, they are much ''safer'' (less fun?! ha!) with mandatory safety nannies by the government.. all cars nowadays have airbags all around, ABS, traction, stability, etc. while they certainly do not replace common sense and you can still mess up, but the margin of error has increased by quite a bit..
Old 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM
The Hedgehog

Chuck Finley had a brand new Mustang when he was 16.

Now a stripper owns it...
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
warbird addict

Now how did he run up such a big bill at the strip joint that he had to give her the car LOL
Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
warbird addict

LMFAO YA right if I was his dad and the way that kid is grinning like a monkey I'd be all up in under them rear wheel wells to see how huch rubber is stuck up in there
the way the kid is grinnin would've tipped me off to the fact that he screwed the pooch somewhere, but to his credit it did come back on all four and not a flatbed
funny stuff

ORIGINAL: Argess

Not every 16 year old is irresponsible:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihf0Fo97g18[/youtube]
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Argess

Kids are different, so I wonder how we can judge the OP based on such little info, or even if we should? All in all.....

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Lunchboxer

If you know Chuck, you would not ask that question... it would all make sense to you..

(joke)

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Now how did he run up such a big bill at the strip joint that he had to give her the car LOL
Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Lunchboxer

Oh, I know you can get into a lot of trouble even w/ all the safety stuff.. was just saying comparing to a R-1.. most of the cars nowadays are still pretty tame in comparison.. also, you can usually walk away from accidents in a car.. (again, compared to them hyper bikes)

I don't know what I would do when it comes to my own kids.. (don't have one yet.. ha!) Hopefully they will share my passion of motorsports and they will have a healthy respect to these machines.. I will make sure that they are taught how to drive properly.. do autoX with me and go to some driving school.. hopefully that will better prepare them when it comes to performance driving..

I agree with you to a point but all that safety stuff does not have the ability to prevent the youngster from getting in well over his head with a vehicle thats capable of 140/ 150 mph and pulls a 0 to 60 in what like 4 or 5 seconds it's probably less than that and truth be known the new 6 bangers are pumping out more ponies than short block 350's were even 10 years ago.
The new 6 banger sports cars that are out now just Plain ***** N Git and in my opinion it would have to be a pretty meek and mild mannered 16 year old NOT to get bit with a bad case of superman syndrome and get themselves into a bad dose of ''OH *****'' what do i do now i'm gonna crash BAD and don't know what to do next LOL
Ya know I joke about it, but speak out when I can as I feel as though I bear some of the responsibility for what happened to just such a priviledged youngster
Knowing how I was at that age I am thankful that I didn't have affluent parents growing up or I most likely would not be here I can't even imagine me at 16 equipped with a new model year sports car pushing 300hp I would've been dead or crippled in a month, at that age, knowing it all with all that testosterone pumping even being broke as hell man I wasn't about to let anybody show me up now add affluent parents willing to give anything I wanted to the mix, no matter how many times I run that scenario thru my head it never ends well.
I think the youngsters question would be better asked at the local ambulance service or police station or hospital ER and let them quote him and his dad a few statistics
affluence,attitude,immaturity,horsepower and teenaged testosterone are 5 things that should never be mixed in any combination and more often than not do not end well
Ask yourself the question would you turn your 16 year old son loose with ''your'' brand new 300 hp Mustang/Camaro LOL ,if not then why would you buy him one his his own
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

wait... you say that you turning 16 in a month, which means your 15 years old. and you CURRENTLYdrive your parents cts-v?

I know you have to be 16 in canada to get your beginnersliscence... is it different in the states or are you just trying to be cool?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
warbird addict

LMFAO I shouldn't throw stones I've spent more than one paycheck one dollar at a time back in my younger days that is
ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

If you know Chuck, you would not ask that question... it would all make sense to you..

(joke)

Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: saucySavy

wait... you say that you turning 16 in a month, which means your 15 years old. and you CURRENTLY drive your parents cts-v?

I know you have to be 16 in canada to get your beginners liscence... is it different in the states or are you just trying to be cool?
I don't know if it's different in Oregon where he is, but here in New Jersey you have to be 16 for your permit (parents in the car), 17 for the "Provisional" (somewhat restricted) licence and 18 for your full license.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Mambamonster

where this kid even go lol hes been quite
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
saucySavy

I know lol.
But this thread just plain annoys me. It just seems that this kid came on here to brag and rub it in our faces. Everything he has said is extremely snotty and dumb. Thats great that your 'parents' have good money kid, but if the difficult decision at 16 years old in your life right now is deciding between a mustang and comaro, or a truck, then have fun in the real world.

"Should i choose a mustang or comaro?" F*** that. Get yourself a job, and buy a used civic or something. Oh wait make sure its newer than 07'! your parents dont want an "old" car in their driveway!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Argess

Possibly it's annoying, but there's another possibility...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
saucySavy

Of courseim jealouse! i would LOVEto be in his situation!

I love money! i also have great respect for people who are wealthy. Hell there are acouple of guys on here that obviously have some coin, and for some reason I really respect that. But these people dont brag. Its the cockness that gets me going,

Isuffer from schizophrenia ( maybe a little personalfor the internet but whatever) It brought my life to astopfor a couple of years. I have since received all thesupport i couldever ask for, and of course, alot ofpills, and slowlymy life is returning to normal. I commited myself to getting a good job, and i bought my own car, some good ol' rc's,andIamputting myself through college. I really tried to make the best of abad situation, and hopefully ill make some good money one day

Now i am completly rambelingI realize, but something about people having things handed to them and rubbing it in people's faces gets to me. Sorry if i over-reacted!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
OLDS45512

does the camero come with Megan Fox?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM
saucySavy

Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
DanMN

how old is the caddy? Just have your parents buy a new one and they can give you that one. Actually the person that said you should buy a jeep hit it right on the head. If your going to the USAF Acad, that is the perfect vehicle for Colo Springs. It would be too old by the time you get there though. I am assuming that by the time you hit the academy that you will be on your third car due to your parents rules about how long they keep a car.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
DanMN

Oh yeah, you could always bring up that they don't have to spend a dime on your education going to the academy. That's approx 150K for a nice school, 4yrs. Add 17K to that and you are looking at $167K! Get a nice Mercedes AMG. Still have some money for gas.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
fred985

the new v 6 stang has more power then the last v 8 but it gets 30 mpg if driven right. i test drove a new 11 and i was impresed. thats not e z when you have a fiberglass 32 with a hot nail head buick in it,,,hehe,,,,personally i would go with a disel 2500 dodge ram with 4 wd,,,,if you take care of it it kuld last you for 20 years,,,
Old 03-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Mambamonster

Remember tho, hes joining the academy, hahaha
ORIGINAL: saucySavy

I know lol.
But this thread just plain annoys me. It just seems that this kid came on here to brag and rub it in our faces. Everything he has said is extremely snotty and dumb. Thats great that your 'parents' have good money kid, but if the difficult decision at 16 years old in your life right now is deciding between a mustang and comaro, or a truck, then have fun in the real world.

"Should i choose a mustang or comaro?" F*** that. Get yourself a job, and buy a used civic or something. Oh wait make sure its newer than 07'! your parents dont want an "old" car in their driveway!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

In Fl 15 for learner's permit, parent in the car. 16-18 someone over 21 with you in the car. Over 18 you are on your own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.