Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

A Difficult Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 PM
meef rustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Difficult Decision

I am turning 16 in a month, I am a very responsible teen. Working to get in the US Airforce Academy to serve my country as a pilot and to get a very good education. I have the opportunity to get a 2010 camaro or a 2011 mustang. V6 models. I currently drive my parent's 2010 cts-v. Fastest production sedan in the world. Please don't flame me. This is an honest question and i love both cars and its a hard decision.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A Difficult Decision

If you have to ask, you can afford both. So buy both.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last thing a teen needs is a car like that right off the bat, everyone should drive a older car as a first car regardless of how much money you have, also, insurance is going to be nuts for you, you dont even want to know how much thats going to be.

im now 20, always a mature sensible guy, i started with a V-8 96 Dakota (paid half of $1200) then less than a year later got a 95 volvo 850 turbo (paid 2600 for it, exactly what i made on the dakota) two years later i get a 1986 Fiero GT. then a 93 miata, and now a 1978 corvette.

every one of my cars i paid for, i paid for my own gas, my own insurance, repair parts (i do repairs myself) and everything, it really makes you respect what goes into owning a car, having one given to you takes away that experiance, and in short- spoils you.

i love the fact that my corvette is 100% mine, and my blood sweat and tears go into rebuilding it with my own hands.

go with a sporty 4-door, all the fun, none of the insurance.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM
meef rustler

My friends dad is an insurance agent. He quoted me at $250 as primary driver for the camaro. We have slightly cheaper insurance as we have USAA because my dad is a veteran. The thing about money, is that I myself have none. I work hard to get to the acadamy. I put in long volunteer and community service hours. I am a varsity wrestler and a 4.0gpa with mostly ap classes is difficult to keep with a busy schedule. I have no time for a job to earn money and pay for a car. I am helping pay with what i can work for. My parents also want a 3rd vehicle. I am also looking at the Nissan Titan or the new ram 1500.

Shark who you should tell that to is this fat, ungrateful kid at my school, who is loaded and makes comments such as "I need a new binder, but i cant afford one. or, Paper is to expensive they should give it for free, because we all know i cant't afford it When he drives a ferrari, maserati, corvette and range rover to school. His parents own 3 hotels and some other things. People like that piss me off. That kid does not deserve a penny, or to have rich parents, with how he acts and his comments>
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Jgaff2

Still, Shark has a point. Since you don't have any money or a job it will be very hard(and frankly, impossible) to pay for insurance, gas, etc. and even to buy the car if your parents aren't helping you out. But anyway, if anything, I would have to recommend you the ram 1500. My dad has one and it has the hemi in it. It does pretty good on mpg toobecuase it has cylinder reduction.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an F250, at least it will last.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
meef rustler

You dont understand my parents, i would have bought a car myself, but they do not want a older car in their drive way. Anything older than '07 and the answer is no. The longest we have kept a vehicle is two years!!! They would be paying for the car and insurance. A v6 camaro is pretty heavy and has about 304hp, the gas mileage is pretty good and i can get it for $17,000 which is not expensive for a new car. If you think about it, people will buy these cheap little asian cars and modify them to be pretty fast. People always say you would get killed in a mustang. Well they have good safety ratings. They recieved a top 5 star safety rating!! Ford makes safe quality vehicles, i bet you would be safer in a mustang than a litlle rice rocket or what ever you call them. And i dont know if i am making a point, but im trying.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM
meef rustler

Also, jgaff is that you dirtbiking? i love to dirt bike i ride a hond cr250 two stroke. Its a 2003, i think.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Mustang, although you'll have more fun and resale will be better if you opt for a V8.

Ford arn't the best cars out there, but I think they do represent best bang for the buck.

GM has rather lost the art of quality control, longevity, and the "fun-factor".

If money isn't an object, there's a lot better cars than the ones you're looking at, but you can limit the list by ignoring anything that's FWD.

Yours truly: ...."the car snob"
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Jgaff2

Still, Shark has a point. Since you don't have any money or a job it will be very hard(and frankly, impossible) to pay for insurance, gas, etc. and even to buy the car if your parents aren't helping you out. But anyway, if anything, I would have to recommend you the ram 1500. My dad has one and it has the hemi in it. It does pretty good on mpg too becuase it has cylinder reduction.
guess what? its not easy, but its do-able, in highschool i had to work FOR the car, because coming from a proverty stricken family, if i couldnt pay for gas, i couldnt drive.

i go to school full time, and to work 30hours a week.

oh and tell your parents they have issues, anything newer than 02 is a "new" car in my book, phhht, i find it so trivial to worry about status.

if after all this you and your parents are bent on a 07 or newer car (for reasons unknown) i would suggest a Volvo C-30 it is a two door hatch back, AWD 5Cyl Turbo with 5 stars across the board in saftey. fun, zippy, cool looking and insurance should be cheap.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM
meef rustler

I wouldn't be getting a v8 at 16. Lol
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: meef rustler

i did but it was a dakota, not like a mustang (though it could hang with some of them)

what ever you do, be carefull, take your time and dont show off.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
meef rustler

I know not to show off, race. Or listen to friends trying to get me to do that stuff. I don't want to ruin my life, I have a really good chance at getting into the airforce academy I wouldn't throw it away for anything.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
The_Shark

you say that now everyone gets cockey at one time, and it takes something to bring them back to earth, me? i topped out my fiero at 127MPH i returned to that road a month later and got busted doing 96MPH.. given the road was PERFECT, no side streets, residents or other cars on the road, with the sun shining, it was stupid and i learned my lesson. a $300 hole in your pocket hurts bad.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM
meef rustler

And increased insurance costs
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Jgaff2

no, its not me but on my profile page there is a pic of me. And yea don't show off with speeding meef.

Also, jgaff is that you dirtbiking? i love to dirt bike i ride a hond cr250 two stroke. Its a 2003, i think.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 AM
The Hedgehog

Can't you sell your Lambo and pick up something nicer than a V6 "Muscle" car?

Have mommy and daddy look into something like a Subaru as well or actually better yet, a Volvo
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 AM
saucySavy

yet you drive a cts-v?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 AM
The Hedgehog

Don't forget to add fastest production sedan like he mentioned in the OP.

BTW how can you me a Mustang fan and a Camaro fan?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Boy it must be nice to have that kind of disposable income to buy a new ride every two years. I have only bought one new ride in my life. I buy used. Generally speaking the value to dollar is far superior. But I am smarter with my money.

My first vehicle was a 1968 chevy PU I bought at 16 from my dad for $100.00 in 1976. He had bought it new. It was a v8 running on six cylinders. I was 16 and had a job. I drove that truck for two years then bought another ride for $500.00 my senior year of high school. I went in the service after that. I had sold the truck for $200.00. I had wrecked the car in an accident that was not my fault.

Prestige or whatever does not come from a ride. It comes from how you treat other people. Your parents are doing you wrong by putting you on a road to failure later. In the military you will have a good job as far as retention. Even though officers make decent money. You will find that it runs out quickly if you are not careful.

In most cases on an junior officers salary if you have a GF or get married and have children. You will find that the money just will not be there to replace a ride every two years unless you keep yourself up to your neck in debt. not a good idea. But then you will be miserable. Be smart sit down with your parents. Talk to them and tell them now is the time I need to stand on my own find a job and buy what I can afford.

If the insurance is $250.00 a month on that ride. Buy a sporty sedan. The insurance will reduce significantly.

You can buy reliable used rides for pennies on the dollar and save a ton of money. Pay cash for the ride and keep your money in your pocket instead of given it to a bank in interest payments.

Life is to short to be neck deep in debt all the time. Buy what you can afford with what YOU make or have saved. You will be happier in the long run.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
warbird addict

The last thing ANY 16 year old should be driving is a $17,000 sports car.
Let me tell you a lil story, back in early 2007 I bought a new Yamaha R-1 Raven "crotchrocket" no biggee for me I've been driving Bullet bikes since the 80's.
Being a speed junkie I hot rodded this thing out to the max, race exaust, power commander etc etc all done she dynoed right around 180 rwhp
but after driving it awhile discovered that when the fan came on it was unbearable heat roaring out of the cowl outlets, so long story short I went back to the dealer and traded it in.
A week later I get a call from the dealer asking me to come in and talk to the new buyer as he /they had questions regarding what all had been done performance wise, no problem, I show up there and here stands a guy my age and his 17 year old son We struck up a conversation where he informed me he was buying the bike for his sons 17th birthday, and proceeded to tell me all about how level headed he was and how responsible he was and the kid told me "oh I'm not planning on racing it around or doing wheelies none of that crazy stuff I'm just going to putt around on it till I get really used to it, I told his father if you care anything about you son DON'T buy him THAT bike he's not ready
to own even a stock R-1 as his first bike let alone one that I have modded out.
Well he bought him the bike anyway 2 days later I see him out racing everything in site then rips a first gear wheelie almost goes over backwards with it
couple of weeks later I was in the dealership picking up some stuff for my new bike and the salesman says come with me a minute I got something to show you,he takes me out back and there lay my 07 R-1 in milk crates So I asked him what happened, well he says the kid that bought that was pronounced dead at the scene, the cop told him the kid was trying to show off in traffic by riding a wheelie and ended up clipping the front end of the car next to him when he got out of control which sent him and the bike tumbling up the road into oncoming traffic and coming to a stop under the front of a 3/4 ton 4wd which dragged him over 100 feet before managing to get the truck stopped, if the kids father had just listened and bought him something alot more tame maybe he'd be alive today.
It's a classic example of priviledge being a very poor substitution for maturity, experience and skill.
I realize I'm talking about a motorcycle and you are talking about a sports car however I've seen just many if not more priviledged teenagers who had to be cut out of demolished sports cars due to speed, stupidity, inattention,and just not plain knowing when too fast is going to result in a serious case of deceleration syndrome.
Do yourself a favor get something built like a tank with a 4 banger in it and don't drive it any faster than you are prepared to crash it because at your age the odds are greatly not in your favor.
No offense intended just some sage advice from someone who has 30 years worth of lumps,bumps and scars and can speak with experience
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't disagree w/ the post above, however, I think a hyper bike and a $17k car are very different.. most people are more prepared to drive a $17k car, even if it has 300hps, than a 100rwhp 600 c.c. sport bike..

Also, with cars nowadays, they are much "safer" (less fun?! ha!) with mandatory safety nannies by the government.. all cars nowadays have airbags all around, ABS, traction, stability, etc. while they certainly do not replace common sense and you can still mess up, but the margin of error has increased by quite a bit..
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
J.D.T

if your going to the academy you should get a new jeep wrangler, chicks dig em, you get a convertable and a four wheel drive all in one, lots of trails in colorado to keep you out of trouble.
For me the mustang vs camero is jaded, I am a mustang guy LOL. I agree its hard to imagine someone that likes both as they are pretty much arch enemies
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the new Mustang GT w/ the new V8.. it is a beast!!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
The Hedgehog

Honestly buying a brand new Mustang or Camaro for a 16 year old, even the V6 version is a very irresponsible decision for a 16 year old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.