Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Really?!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Really?!

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

What's even worse is a wall of text like that with ''LOL'' where there should be a full stop.
[:@]

However.

When it comes to spelling, I've got a theory.
Are people really getting worse at spelling or is it just that we're exposed to people's writing more than we were, say 10-15 years ago?
These days on internet forums and the likes we spend hours every day reading what hundreds of people have written.
Before the internet, how often did we really read stuff that others had written, apart from stuff in magazines and newspapers, of course?

It seems to me that the majority of people have trouble with the same words.

''Definitely'' seems to be a diffucult one.

Also, the difference between ''Their, They're'' and ''There'' appears to be a mystery to many.

I pull people up on their spelling at times but I try to do it in a polite way rather than ''Learn how to spell you moron''.

Like said above, if it's just a few errors here and there it's no big deal but the Wall of text and the Haxxorz lol speak does annoy me.

Coming from someone who grew up in this digital age I feel like I have to correct you on this.

This is "real" hax0r speak, it's using numbers and symbols, not just distorting words. i.e. 7 instead of T, 5 instead of S, etc..

7h!5 i5 wh@7 hax0r sp3@k is !yke.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, in English people "drive in the parkway" and "park in the driveway" and nobody seems to think that there is something wrong with this?

One thing I noticed is how many people use an "e" where one is not needed like "doeing" and other instances that escape my mind now. They transform the segment ...ing... into ...eing... (climbing > cleimbing). No clue where that comes from...

Another thing you notice in the digital era is that there is a huge percentage of the population that do not comprehend what they read... And you realize this by the way they answer postings, articles or messages...

Gerry
PS: Of course, there are the young or stupid (or both at the same time) that insert typos on purpose so people think they are being funny, but we know that they do this to hide the fact that they cannot write a correct sentence if their life would depend of it, and spell like a drunk walrus:-) and if you do not believe me, let's get a walrus drunk and have him spell...
Old 06-28-2011, 05:23 PM

I think all the grammer gestappos need to get a friggin life, nobody gives a flyin rats ***** what you personally think about anything, get over yourselves already.
If all you have in your life is trolling the forums lookin for somebody to screw up so that you can pounce on them and point fingers then the only thing you are pointing out is your own insecurities and you need to get out more
Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM

I think all the grammer gestappos need to get a friggin life, nobody gives a flyin rats ***** what you personally think about anything, get over yourselves already.
If all you have in your life is trolling the forums lookin for somebody to screw up so that you can pounce on them and point fingers then the only thing you are pointing out is your own insecurities and you need to get out more
Agreed! And also "grammar gestapo" is an outstanding term!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Amusing post.

I don't think anyone in this conversation is either trolling or actively looking for someone to screw up.
All we're doing is discussing the general decline in people's ability to spell.

I'm sure all of us have perfectly good lives and and spend sufficient time "getting out".

And if parttaking in a discussion on an internet forum is a sign of not having a life... what does that say about you?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Your post makes no sense in the current context.

A discussion forum is for...erm, dicussion? We are discussing something. You have just single handedly dismissed everyone's posts and attacked them, yet you claim that WE are trolling? Good one. We have age groups involved in this discussion ranging from the very young to the very mature, yet you are the first to drag the topic down to a base level of insulting people and throwing your virtual weight around (and ranting about something you have perceived that isn't even happening).

Furthermore, nobody is trolling here, we're just talking about it. Pointing fingers? Who's pointing fingers? Seems like you are the only one pointing fingers. And as for insecurities, why would people who are in the upper echelons of the educated community be insecure? We're doing it right. [&:]

I'm sure your post appeals greatly to the mob mentality, you've used all the strong words that would indicate that you have something to say, when actually, your post adds absolutely zero value to the discussion. If anything, you've made our points for us (reading comprehension for the win?). But since it is also clear that you have completely misunderstood the point of the discussion, I doubt you'd recognise that.

So in case you didn't actually read the posts; nobody is jumping on anybody for posting in bad english, we are however lamenting the decline of the written language brought about by the internet age. If you do actually have any input on the subject of the discussion, I'd be glad to hear it.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 AM

Well put Foxy.

I find it amusing that whenever this topic comes up on various forums, which it frequently does, people always feel the need to defend their right to be wrong.
[&:]

Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 AM

Good post Mr. F
Old 06-29-2011, 04:21 AM

Having looked at the OPs posting history at the time this was posted, I know exactly what brought this post to light. I even know exactly which thread he was reading when he decided to come and post here about it.

Indeed, in that particular case, the term 'grammar gestapo' could be applied, and in fact, I had defended the member in question from said 'gestapo'. Even in that case though, this is an incorrect definition, as it was an isolated incident concerning only 4 or 5 members total. Warbird addict's post is phrased as though the problem of people being grammar gestapo is endemic in this forum. It is not.

If warbird addict's post was the second in the topic, it would make sense in relation to the OP (at least the sentiment of it, if not the specifics), but since the topic has moved on and he appears to be addressing the posters in this thread, it is just an unwarranted flame.

In reality, the posts that spurred this thread are particularly 'internetty', and for someone not familiar with the relevant phrasology concerned, would be near impossible to read. Understandably, this got the backs up of a few members, who then were quite unnecessarily abusive in the way they addressed said offender, prompting intervention on my part at the time. Mr warbird addict could not possibly have known that though, in order to justify launching a scathing attack on said people. Based on the fact that only a few members can be aware of the exchange that prompted this topic, I deliberately pointed out RCUs stance (you can generally be sure that a moderator's point of view posted in open forum reflects that of the management, this is something all moderators have to be careful of), by saying that I, as a moderator will defend any member from the 'grammar gestapo'. At that point, further rhetoric relating to said offenders is basically unnecessary, so I moved the discussoin onto the general subject of declining standards of English. The thread then proceeded accordingly, and turned into a decent discussion, until now. If the thread had been a general flamefest against those who give others grief for poor standards of written communication, I would have removed it pretty sharpish, as unconstructive.

So lets get back on topic shall we.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Foxy, shouldn't you be out on town hurling rocks at the police?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Don't even get me started... [&o]
Old 04-20-2016, 02:31 AM

Post deleted

Last edited by Semi Retired Aviator; 04-20-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm closing this thread, it's way too old to be resurrected.