Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Computer so small it can fit in your eye..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer so small it can fit in your eye..

Check this out.. Pretty insane. On a penny its as big as the N in one on the back. Find a penny and be amazed..

http://technabob.com/blog/2011/02/24...t-in-your-eye/
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Computer so small it can fit in your eye..

honestly its more of a remote sensor than a computer IMO

That would be like saying my lipo low voltage alarm that plugs in the balance port of my batteries is a computer. Its a sensor this ones just a tad more complex.

The actual definition of computer(according to dictionary.com, but every other definition I read was very close)
A programmable machine that performs high-speed processing of numbers, as well as of text, graphics, symbols, and sound. All computers contain a central processing unit that interprets and executes instructions; input devices, such as a keyboard and a mouse, through which data and commands enter the computer; memory that enables the computer to store programs and data; and output devices, such as printers and display screens, that show the results after the computer has processed data.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM
MadManAndrew

That is indeed a computer, Syco. It's not just a sensor, it has a micro processor on board.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, but it's still a sensor. It's limited in what it can do. Still, highly impressive and might be awesome for people with glaucoma.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

That would be like saying my lipo low voltage alarm that plugs in the balance port of my batteries is a computer. Its a sensor this ones just a tad more complex.

The actual definition of computer(according to dictionary.com, but every other definition I read was very close)
A programmable machine that performs high-speed processing of numbers, as well as of text, graphics, symbols, and sound. All computers contain a central processing unit that interprets and executes instructions; input devices, such as a keyboard and a mouse, through which data and commands enter the computer; memory that enables the computer to store programs and data; and output devices, such as printers and display screens, that show the results after the computer has processed data.
You found the deffinition of 'person computer', not computer. A true computer processes data according to a set of instructions, it stores data in discrete units and performs arithmetical and logical operations at very high speeds. Something needs to convert the analog signal from the pressure sensor into data that can be sent. Besides, that little thing is entirely digital with an RF radio... it probably requires scripts to run.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

You found the deffinition of 'person computer', not computer. A true computer processes data according to a set of instructions, it stores data in discrete units and performs arithmetical and logical operations at very high speeds. Something needs to convert the analog signal from the pressure sensor into data that can be sent. Besides, that little thing is entirely digital with an RF radio... it probably requires scripts to run.
A micro controller(or a PIC) can process data according to a set of instructions, store it temporarily in ram and do all that and its still not a computer, I've seen people hook up flash chips to them to store data, but guess what they still are not PC's. Hell I got an old programmable Motorola Micro Controller that can do A2D conversions.
I'd count this more as a PIC or micro controller than a PC seeing it is purpose built, and can't do any insane number crunching from the way the paper read.
Still is pretty impressive though don't get me wrong.

Also reading the paper the researchers themselves as I see it don't call it a computer the reporter does. The researchers call it "A Cubic-Millimeter Energy-Autonomous Wireless Intraocular Pressure Monitor.". Its also called a sensor one more time in the last paragraph
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
HJJFFFAA

Computers compute. That's why they're called computers. That sensor has a computer onboard to calculate the pressure in the eyeball from a formula stored in ROM. The device is a sensor and onboard there is a computer.