Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Anyone mod full size cars?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 PM
meef rustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone mod full size cars?

Anyone here have experience with modding full size cars?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Anyone mod full size cars?

I was heavily into the VW modding scene for many years, I've had several mk2 golfs. I currently have a Honda S2000 which I have big plans for, unfortunately, those plans are on hold at the moment due to the unstable financial situation the world finds itself in currently.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Argess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afgter years of rebuilding various car engines, I finally got into moddifying a few. The only hurdle I found, was that when you make camshaft and compression changes, the factory ignition timing specs probably arn't correct any more for the modified engine. It takes a bit of work to tune the ignition, although it's not hard. But done wrong, you can destroy your brand new engine.

What engine were you thinking of modifying, and what kind of modifications were you planning on?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:29 AM
kaiser01

i too am heavy into the modded vw scene, everything from aircooled flat 4's to turbo inline 4's (v6's have no place in a vw IMHO lol)

i just sold my last creation, a 2001 new beetle 1.8t with a huge turbo and associated mods, put down about 400hp at the wheels.

now i only have my 1974 beetle project going on and it's on hold beacuse i'm just not into it right now.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

I used to do some stuff with the aircooled VW motors, and I turbocharged my girlfriends cavalier.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
meef rustler

I'm looking to free up horsepower in 2005 mustang, its a v6. Should I start out by getting a tuner and a cold air intake?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
DarkFire989

From what I have read. Cold Air intakes do not add much horsepower. The only true way to add a lot of HP fast is forced induction.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

From what I have read. Cold Air intakes do not add much horsepower. The only true way to add a lot of HP fast is forced induction.
Depends on the car. Not sure about Mustang V6's but there is good power to be made on the V8's.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
meef rustler

I'm going to be doing mods over time. I'm not looking for an instant horsepower gain.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
meef rustler

To add more of a growl, could I just replace the muffler and just install one made by magnaflow or do I need to replace the entire exhaust system?l
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
The Hedgehog

You can, but i would look into a catback system. Magnaflow, Dynomax, Flowmaster, Borla, etc etc
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

experience modding full size cars. hummm... let me think
i fully restored my 71 vw bug myself. i did the paint, interior, wiring, engine, front suspension (haven't done the rear yet) brakes. future plans include a bigger engine, a transmission rebuild (which i will have done) disc brakes, and maybe messing with the stereo and adding a rollbar.
iv probably worked on 6 or 7 other air cooled vw's. including a couple race cars. i was also in a vw car club at one point.

suspension work on a 1930 model A hot rod.

iv worked on several 65 and 66 mustangs. everything from body work to suspension work to custom stereo installs and even worked with a guy turning a 65 coupe into a 66 fastback (iv got some pic's to prove it)

helped a guy do custom body work on a 64 ford fairlane.

body work and some minor bolt on performance parts on a mustang 5.0 convertible. iv actually worked on a few fox body mustangs but it was mostly body and paint work.

iv shaved door handles and side trim off numerous rice rockets.

did a turbo swap on a buick GNX. and iv done some body work and other minor work on turbo buicks.

custom stereo install on a 92 mercury topaz. also got crazy with the neon in that thing. the interior would light up like a christmas tree and flash to the music.

custom stereo install and body and paint work on a 1992 chevy cavalier.

and iv done a lot of body and paint work on several other cars including: 70 chevy truck, 99 dodge ram, chevy S10, 63 ford wagon, 98 GTI, honda CRX, 74 chevy vega, 2 late 90's toyota corolla's (installed a body kit and shaved the door handles on one)
im sure there are a few im missing but that's all i can remember off the top of my head.
iv also got a 1959 studebaker silverhawk in the garage awaiting restoration (it's one of those money pending deals). not really going to mod it though, it's about 99% stock and staying that way.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Lunchboxer

Depends on what you would consider "much".. !

And how well the original design was..

Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: meef rustler

To add more of a growl, could I just replace the muffler and just install one made by magnaflow or do I need to replace the entire exhaust system?l
Don't bother with those crappy ebay cold air kits, the stock one is fine. Your best bet would be to get a cat-back, either by magnaflow or flowmaster. They replace the entire exhaust from the catalytic converter back, you can install them in a couple of hours. The next step would be getting an electronic tuner, SuperChips makes a GREAT one, they run about $400 though.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
joebahl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a 327 in a vw when i was young. It moved real well but it is short . I had a friend put a blower on a flat head 50 horse power stock motor ( 1940 ford )made it almost a 100.lol He wasted his time and money , should have put a big block in it to snap his head back. joe
Old 08-17-2011, 01:40 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Don't bother with those crappy ebay cold air kits, the stock one is fine. Your best bet would be to get a cat-back, either by magnaflow or flowmaster. They replace the entire exhaust from the catalytic converter back, you can install them in a couple of hours. The next step would be getting an electronic tuner, SuperChips makes a GREAT one, they run about $400 though.
I plan on getting an electric tuner. Also, I was thinking about getting dual exhaust, but I need one that goes under the bumper. I dont want to cut the bumper because it looks like ****.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM
butt_housed247

i modded the van i used t have. took out the center seats, put a rear seat that folded down flat, shag carpet, shag headliner, wood paneling, strobe light, custom stereo with 10 6” round speakers and 2 12” subwoofers. pop up roof vent. roof mounted surfboard rack. raised the back cause it looked cool sitting on the chrome crager wheels and fat back tires.

i need another van!

and im slowly modding my truck. i bought a 2004 toyota tacoma regular cab 4x4 about 3 months ago. so far iv added a camper shell with roof mounted surf board/bike rack and im going to add a pop up vent in it eventually. im building side pods/boxes for the bed for storage.  im going to put carpet back there. im also thinking of putting a stereo in it.  im thinking 4 speakers in the cab, another 4 in the back. a subwoofer, maybe 2 (my bro's friend has 2 10” jensen's for sale im thinking about buying). im also thinking of lifting it a little bit. idk what im going to do with the engine yet. it's got plenty of power. i don't plan on rock crawling or driving serious trails, its just to drive, take camping, and for hauling my waverunners around
Old 08-17-2011, 03:52 PM
willclark77

Me, my brother, and dad all fool with fullsize.  I'm the only one that does rc.  I say we do.  We haven't much in two or so years.  It's gotten crazy expensive.

I wish I had good pics of her before puttin her up.  I'll never sell this car.  I bought it when I was 16 and have swapped so many engines, trans, rears, etc in it that it ain't funny.  I used to drive it all week with a 700r-4 overdrive trans to high school then swap my built th350 trans into it on Saturday night after work to run it at the track or just play, then stick the 700 back in Sunday night to drive to school Monday.  With a 383 I built it would get 19-20 mpg with the od trans and 3.08 gears.  Just swapping to the th350 and 3.42 or 3.73 gears would drop it to 10-12 mpg.  Good times. 

Didn't keep this scoop on it long.  I preferred the stealth look.

My lil brother's ta.  It's the fastest street car I know of around here.  We built a stout blown ls1 that CHASSIS dyno'd 512 hp and 508 lb ft of torque.  Last time driving it to cruisin the coast it got 21 mpg and that was with several drag strip passes and lots of idling time. 

Proper safety procedure when pulling an dengine:

Built from scratch.  The chassis meets nhra super comp specs.  My dad is the man when he does something.  She goes as straight and hooks as good as any "professional" built car.  Fun.

Lookin at these pics is making me want to go buy some methanol!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: proanti1

This is the best advice for a decent, instant and cheapish gain. Anything more effective than this will require either very expensive bolt ons or engine out work. Make sure you check with the Mustang community concerning what filter systems and cat back exhausts do actually gain power. This is very important, as there are actually aftermarket exhausts that will reduce the power no matter what the manufacturer says. Expect to pay good money for a good exhaust, it will be worth it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

yeah.........GEETER...............i love the smell of nitro in the morning...........DON GARTLITS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20625.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1650224  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:16 AM
hpiracr28

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

Depends on the car. Not sure about Mustang V6's but there is good power to be made on the V8's.

Kenne Bell makes the whipple twin screw supercharger for the mustang4.0 V6. adds quite a hp increase. throw a dual catback exhaust and you got a mean car right there. just a tuner and programmer to set it all up to work without blowing the motor. although thats easily a couple grand setup, but you wont be dissapointed. visit kennebell.com and check it out. you could also chip it and program to give you atleast a 50hp gain. cold air intakes give you better mileage, but not a noticable gain in hp. those are the quickest way to put down big numbers man.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Ive never modded cars but if I had the money I would.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:04 AM
hpiracr28

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Ive never modded cars but if I had the money I would.

Great post and good advice lol
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 PM
jorge76471

go to a mustang owners web site. they should be able to help you mod. your eng. for more power. the ford eng. computer adapts very well to eng. mods..
Old 08-19-2011, 10:46 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kaiser01
(v6's have no place in a vw IMHO lol)
Tell that to my 24v VR6 GLI. the VR6 is one of the best engines VW ever came up with. I have over 180K (I have seen several with well over 300K)on it and I don't even have to think about changing a timing belt like you do on the 1.8Ts. and it still snaps my neck stock! Run smooth, gets 31mph and sounds good doing it.

BTW: I am suprised to se how many VW's are refferenced here. I wanted to do some mods on mine back when Ifirst got it. But RC is cheaper!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.